Neurontin

CR1954
CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone had a Dr. prescribe Neurontin for pain?

I started having non-stop joint pain shortly after I finished chemo in early 2009. I finally sought out a Rheumatologist, who has helped a lot. Saw them today and told them that I am waking at night (don't sleep well anyway) and that I ache and hurt.
So, they prescribed Neurontin, which is a drug used for seizures, but also for nerve pain and neuropathy (which I also still have from chemo)

Just wondering if anyone else had been on it for some kind of pain. They said it may cause drowsiness, so take it at bedtime...will probably help me sleep too.

CR

Comments

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    I tried it to help my neuropathy
    but it did not help. I had no side effects, either. I hope you have better luck with it than I did.
  • CR1954
    Mama G said:

I tried it to help my neuropathy
    but it did not help. I had no side effects, either. I hope you have better luck with it than I did.

Thank you...
    Thank you for responding, Mama G. I was mostly worried about any side effects. I guess it's worth a try.

Hugs,
    CR
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    CR1954 said:

Thank you...
    Thank you for responding, Mama G. I was mostly worried about any side effects. I guess it's worth a try.

Hugs,
    CR

Sure Did
    Still on it. It for the nerve damage due to the surgery. I have a lot of pain going down my arm. Like a burn. It help some what. Better with the drug than with out it.
    Kathy ~
    No side effects
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    My sister is a physician and
    My sister is a physician and says that neurontin can really help some with pain a lot. I took it for about a month when I had excruciating back pain and it did help, but it made me feel kind of weird and tired. And anyway, I discovered my back was unstable spondylolisthesis, had surgery and my back is now perfect--yay! But neurontin can be a very useful drug for pain and may be worth a try.
  • CR1954
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it! I will try it!

CR
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    I used it for awhile for
    I used it for awhile for neuropathy and it did help. The only se I had was it helped me to sleep and helped with my hot flashes. I think sometimes it depends on the dosage. I only needed 100mg but apparently you can go as high as 1800mg. Best of luck to you.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    CR1954 said:

Thanks!
    Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it! I will try it!

CR

I took neurontin for the
    I took neurontin for the neuropathy , but did not do well with it. A very small dose made me very edgy, very depressed and I had frequent nightmares. i stuck it out for 1 month and when I started screaming at my husband because he dried my clothes(I told hom not to) I said ok, enough is enough. So I went off it and felt better within a day or two. I think my reaction is extreme, but it does have a warning that if you have suidcidal thoughts to discontinue [call. I t5hink I was one of those people who get this side effect. anyway, just be on the lookout for any of this and I hope it helps your pain.
  • CR1954

I used it for awhile for
    I used it for awhile for neuropathy and it did help. The only se I had was it helped me to sleep and helped with my hot flashes. I think sometimes it depends on the dosage. I only needed 100mg but apparently you can go as high as 1800mg. Best of luck to you.

Thank you...
    The Dr. was hoping that it would also help me to sleep better, so maybe it will. She told me that she was starting me on 300 mg., but that I could go up to 900 mg. a day to see if it helped.

I really appreciate the input here, because I was a little afraid to start yet another drug! I take so many now!

CR
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    CR1954 said:

Thank you...
    The Dr. was hoping that it would also help me to sleep better, so maybe it will. She told me that she was starting me on 300 mg., but that I could go up to 900 mg. a day to see if it helped.

I really appreciate the input here, because I was a little afraid to start yet another drug! I take so many now!

CR

If you do have side effects,
    If you do have side effects, don't be afraid to ask for a lower dose. I am really sensitive to everything (I guess I am a cheap date ;-) and have a pill splitter and ask my docs if I can take less. Some drugs are not to be split (generally capsules and ones with a hard enteric coating), but most can be. Sometimes it really pays to start low and go slow with meds.

It goes without saying that I would never do this with my cancer meds, antibiotics, etc., but with pain meds, I do it all of the time. I take less than the recommended dose of lexapro for depression also, but it works for me and my docs say that is fine.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    cr
    I was given Neurontin by a therapist for joint pain and to help with sleeping. It works for some and not others. Good luck.
    Char
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    CR1954 said:

Thank you...

Hugs,
    CR

I've never had this CR, but,
    I've never had this CR, but, hope that it works for you.

Hugs, Debby
  • CR1954
    DebbyM said:

I've never had this CR, but,
    I've never had this CR, but, hope that it works for you.

Hugs, Debby

Thanks Debby!
    I have only taken it for the past two nights (300 mg. each time) and I didn't wake last night aching & hurting.
    Could be just a coincidence, so I'm not giving credit to the Neurontin yet, but I do feel better today.

Keeping fingers crossed!

Hugs,
    CR
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    CR1954 said:

Thanks Debby!
    I have only taken it for the past two nights (300 mg. each time) and I didn't wake last night aching & hurting.
    Could be just a coincidence, so I'm not giving credit to the Neurontin yet, but I do feel better today.

Keeping fingers crossed!

Hugs,
    CR

Sounds like it is working
    Sounds like it is working for you! So happy for you!

Hugs, Diane
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    cahjah75 said:

cr
    I was given Neurontin by a therapist for joint pain and to help with sleeping. It works for some and not others. Good luck.
    Char

I am also sensitive to meds.
    I am also sensitive to meds. Is it the nurse in us? I take 5 mg of lexapro every day. I was only taking 100mg of neurontin at bedtime. I have never had a med have such a profound effect on me. They considered putting me on lyrica but I just said no, I would rather have the pain.
    Oh yeah one more lovely s/e leaky bladder! I told my PT she looked it up and yep it was a s/e!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    CR1954 said:

Thank you...

CR

This drug would be great if
    This drug would be great if it helps with your pain and helps you to sleep. I haven't heard of it. Is it for arthritic pain only?
  • CR1954
    Kylez said:

This drug would be great if
    This drug would be great if it helps with your pain and helps you to sleep. I haven't heard of it. Is it for arthritic pain only?

It is...
    It is actually an old drug (been around for decades) that is primarily used as an anti-seizure drug. Many epileptics have taken it at some point. There is also a generic for it.
    But it has been found to help nerve pain and neuropathy, and the rheumatologist told me, also joint pain.

My daughter, who works in an ER, also said that some doctors also prescribe it for "restless leg syndrome".

It makes many people drowsy, so they advised me to take it at night, before bed. And the plus is that it seems to be helping me with my sleep (can't sleep) issue.

The problem with it seems to be that it works for some and not for others. The doctor told me that if it does not work well qt 300 mg., I can increase it up to 900 mg. on my own. And that if need be, it could go to 2000 mg., under her supervision.

CR