For those of you that have had a hysterectomy

2Floridiansisters
2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My oncologist has never said I need to have one but because of the fact that I had Invasive Lobular Carcinoma I discussed having a hysterectomy today with an ob/gyn at the Naval Hospital, he said "yes" I can have it done. My oncologist has never mentioned that if and when ILC comes back it will find it's way to the nether regions of a woman's body, although the chances are low. Anyway am I doing the right thing? I would have everything taken out that I no longer need. I am now on Tamoxifen, it's only been 3 weeks now but will I continue to use Tamoxifen after the hysterectomy? And now how do I tell my oncologist I'm going to do this? It's scheduled for Feb 28th.

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    no advice..
    I just read your post and hoping you get some info you are looking for...
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    My
    gyn sent me for ovarian ultrasound after being dx with bc. I am 11 years post menopausal. I too have Invasive Lobular Carcinoma. I had bilateral mastectomy June 2010. I finished 6 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan in December and start rads tomorrow. I saw onc yesterday and he's putting me on Arimidex for the next 5 years. He said Tamoxifen was not as effective and has the risk of blood clots. My sister took Tamoxifen 9 years ago and did have a polyp removed. I see my gyn in May and so far he has not recommended a hysterectomy. Did you read something that helped you make a decision to have the hysterectomy?
    {{hugs}} Char
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    cahjah75 said:

My
    gyn sent me for ovarian ultrasound after being dx with bc. I am 11 years post menopausal. I too have Invasive Lobular Carcinoma. I had bilateral mastectomy June 2010. I finished 6 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan in December and start rads tomorrow. I saw onc yesterday and he's putting me on Arimidex for the next 5 years. He said Tamoxifen was not as effective and has the risk of blood clots. My sister took Tamoxifen 9 years ago and did have a polyp removed. I see my gyn in May and so far he has not recommended a hysterectomy. Did you read something that helped you make a decision to have the hysterectomy?
    {{hugs}} Char

Hi Ronda! Are you having

Hi Ronda! Are you having some sort of problem (like bleeding or thickened uterus lining) that is causing concern? I had the ILC and DCIS also, and I've never been advised to have a hysterectomy based on the cancer. My gyn is fairly conservative about surgeries, and will try other less-invasive things first, to take care of problems. If the less-invasive treatment works fine; otherwise, he'll continue to more aggressive treatment.

I'm afraid of anesthesia, and possible problems, so I'm not one to have surgery unless I have to have it. You really have to weigh the risks and benefits of having or not having surgery.

Hope you're doing well, and that things are getting back to normal for you.

Joyce
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    jk1952 said:

Hi Ronda! Are you having

Hi Ronda! Are you having some sort of problem (like bleeding or thickened uterus lining) that is causing concern? I had the ILC and DCIS also, and I've never been advised to have a hysterectomy based on the cancer. My gyn is fairly conservative about surgeries, and will try other less-invasive things first, to take care of problems. If the less-invasive treatment works fine; otherwise, he'll continue to more aggressive treatment.

I'm afraid of anesthesia, and possible problems, so I'm not one to have surgery unless I have to have it. You really have to weigh the risks and benefits of having or not having surgery.

Hope you're doing well, and that things are getting back to normal for you.

Joyce

My oncologist said it could
    My oncologist said it could be done, but, didn't insist on it. I prefer to not have any surgery that I don't feel is totally necessary. And, if you were to have one for some problem, then it would be a consideration. But, I know some have it thinking it will remove any and all estrogen from your body, but, it doesn't.

Good luck to you!

Hugs, Megan
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Ronda!
    Happy New Year! I had my exchange surgery on December 1, 2010. I also had my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed at the same time. My onc and the cancer gyn both agreed that I was a candidate to have this done. Just an extra precaution for me. My onc was going to put me on tamoxifen at first, but since I had my ovaries removed she put me on Femara (since I am now post menopausal). I have been on Femara for a month now and no problems. It's funny that we started the medicine the same time, because if you remember, we were on the same chemo schedule and finished the same time too.

xoxo
    Jean