Post surgery camisole

Options
Kezzie62
Kezzie62 Member Posts: 5
edited April 10 in Breast Cancer #1
My BS has given me a prescription for 2 post surgery camisoles, She has said they will help with drain management and to hold dressings in place. I believe I have to take them to the shop at Dana Farber and they will bill my insurance for the cost. Has anyone used these camisoles? Did you find it useful or would you recommend anything else..

Thanks
Kezzie

Comments

• upnorthlive57
    upnorthlive57 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    camisoles
    I could not have handeled the drain tubes and bulbs without it, it is also a support factor. I had drain tubes on left and right side at different times the camisoles were a blessing. Just be careful when washing them....
  • racergirl
    racergirl Member Posts: 50
    Options
    absolutely worth it...I even
    absolutely worth it...I even slept in mine, just to keep from chasing the drains around. I had two so that I could wash one and wear one.
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Options
    They are great
    I loved my camisoles! They were a little bulky, but I just wore loose-fitting shirts that buttoned up the front (it was too hard to pull shirts over my head). I even wore them long after I got my drains out; the velcro front was just so convenient and the cotton fabric was just so soft and comfy! Once I didn't wear those particular camisoles, and during radiation when I couldn't wear a bra, I switched to a nylon/lycra-type camisole that did go over my head but was much smoother to wear under my clothes - not nearly as bulky as the other camisoles. It had a puffy foam insert (as did the first style) that I could put in my affected flat side. Honestly, I am now several months out of chemo, surgery, radiation, etc., and I would rather wear a camisole than a mastectomy bra with a prosthesis.
    Linda
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Options
    I forgot
    I forgot to mention that the nylon/lycra camisole that goes over your head also had pockets for drains, but I don't know how anyone could deal with the over-the-head style while in the recovery stage with drains. It would be too painful to take those off and on.
    Linda
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    linpsu said:

I forgot
    I forgot to mention that the nylon/lycra camisole that goes over your head also had pockets for drains, but I don't know how anyone could deal with the over-the-head style while in the recovery stage with drains. It would be too painful to take those off and on.
    Linda

I used them and they were so
    I used them and they were so helpful. They also sell them at windows of hope at Beth israel across the street. I go to New England medical fitting in Weymouth Ma and they fit me for everything and are wonderful!
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I second that..
    I too had a camisole and it really helped to store those
    pesky drains away and out of your way!!

And mine clutched together in the front and when I washed
    it, got stuck on other parts of it and did not look very nice.

But heck it sure did the job!!

Also I would recommend pillows lotsa pillows!! I still
    sleep with pillows to support me and my mastectomy
    was in september.

But best thing of all, they make these tiny pillows and
    you put them under your armpits after the surgery,
    They did WONDERS for me and really took away some
    of the pain, so see if you can finds some if not
    maybe I can mail some to you.

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Kezzie
    I had 2 camisoles post mastectomy and they worked very well. They have soft breast forms to insert and pockets that velcro for the drains. My only problem is I'm very short in stature and the camisoles were a bit long on me.
    Char
  • shelbyhome
    shelbyhome Member Posts: 145
    Options
    I loved my cammies they were
    I loved my cammies they were very comforting and the nurse showed my how to step into them instead of putting over my head.
    I also had inserts to put in the pockets and pouchs for the drain tubes which was great.
    The pillow idea is the best thing I had, I recieved 2 one from a lady with the cancer society and my BS gave me one that one of her patients make, if you like one I can make you one and send it to you. I slept with tons of pillows all around me and I still have a few that I have kept in certain spots, I had my masectomy in April and my inplants put in in August, just relaxing I think.
    Good Luck and if you need anything we are all here
    Hugs :) Robbin
  • Kezzie62
    Kezzie62 Member Posts: 5
    Options

I loved my cammies they were
    I loved my cammies they were very comforting and the nurse showed my how to step into them instead of putting over my head.
    I also had inserts to put in the pockets and pouchs for the drain tubes which was great.
    The pillow idea is the best thing I had, I recieved 2 one from a lady with the cancer society and my BS gave me one that one of her patients make, if you like one I can make you one and send it to you. I slept with tons of pillows all around me and I still have a few that I have kept in certain spots, I had my masectomy in April and my inplants put in in August, just relaxing I think.
    Good Luck and if you need anything we are all here
    Hugs :) Robbin

What a wonderful group of
    What a wonderful group of ladies you all are. I am going to phone and make an appointment at the shop in Dana Farber to get these cammies. Thanks for the ideas about the pillows I will have to look around for some. Is there anything I should get before the surgery that you all found to be helpful? Were you all in hospital for a few days or just overnight? How long did you have the drains for?

Sorry thats enough questions for today..

Hugs :) Kezzie
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    carkris said:

I used them and they were so
    I used them and they were so helpful. They also sell them at windows of hope at Beth israel across the street. I go to New England medical fitting in Weymouth Ma and they fit me for everything and are wonderful!

I had a lumpectomy, so, I
    I had a lumpectomy, so, I didn't need this. Just wishing you good luck! And, I am glad that you knew that your insurance would help to pay for your cami's. My insurance paid for a couple of sports bras to wear after my lumpectomy. Every little bit helps!

Hugs, Leeza
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for
    thank you so much for posting this question. after i read this,i called ins, got info, went back to surgeon's surgical technician who was of no help. our area store is called the pink boutique. i called yesterday to see if i could get them. they already knew ins, what they pay for, etc. had an appt for this morning, already had all the info they needed from my dr. i went home with one camisole, other one is ordered. i have had way to many things go wrong since i had my first appt and those ladies were more helpful than anyone at the clinic, including the breast care coordinator at my clinic. my mother's best friend had breast cancer at the same time as me and she went to the clinic across the street from me. what a difference in patient care. her clinic had a huge basket of goodies in case she chose mastectomy, including a camisole. not sure if they charged for it, but wow, how nice to recieve something like BEFORE the surgery. wish my clinic had been like that. i kept the surgeon cuz i really like her, but my cancer treatment center pales in comparison to aspirus regional cancer center. thank goodness for the ladies at the pink boutique. they even showed mye some prosthesis and bras for after my double mastectomy.also, i was panicking about button down shirts, i hate them, went to walmart with my mom today, realized pj tops have buttons too. cant believe i never thought of that, so i have a couple button down pj tops that are nice and big and soft and comfy.
  • w1418
    w1418 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

My camisole is on order. What if it doesn’t arrive before surgery?

• jkd
    jkd Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I didn't wear the camisole, it choked me at night. I chose the belt instead