mjd8136
mjd8136 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
how soon do you start pills after radiation is over

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Not after but during
    for me. I started rads one week after last Taxol and started Femara at the end of the first week of rads. for 11 months now.

Susan
  • sparkle1
    sparkle1 Member Posts: 242
    I finished radiation on
    I finished radiation on November 16th. I will start Arimidex tomorrow. I got really burned during radiation so doctors said it was OK to take a break until the first of the year. She also wants me to go on 1000-1200mg of calcium, 1000-2000 units of Vitamin D and a baby aspirin a day. I also had a bone density test that came back normal. Do anybody have any ideas on when I should take the arimidex (morning or evening)? I've read about all the side effects and the posts from many of you. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I think this qualifies me to dance with NED.
    Sparkle
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    sparkle1 said:

I finished radiation on
    I finished radiation on November 16th. I will start Arimidex tomorrow. I got really burned during radiation so doctors said it was OK to take a break until the first of the year. She also wants me to go on 1000-1200mg of calcium, 1000-2000 units of Vitamin D and a baby aspirin a day. I also had a bone density test that came back normal. Do anybody have any ideas on when I should take the arimidex (morning or evening)? I've read about all the side effects and the posts from many of you. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I think this qualifies me to dance with NED.
    Sparkle

I take my Femara in the
    I take my Femara in the morning when I get up - easier for me to remember than at night. I also put 7 pills in a smaller bottle every Thursday after I take the last pill of the week. It's just an easy way I can check and be sure rather or not I remembered to take it based on the day of the week and the number of pills there without having to count all in the big bottle.

Susan
  • gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    sparkle1 said:

I finished radiation on
    Sparkle

don't mean this to scare you but.....
    if you have side effects from arimidex call the doctor sooner than later. I waited to long and now having big problems with my joints. I am afraid I have RA. Seeing the onc. on Friday and will know more. My best friend's sister started the same day as I did and not 1, NOT ONE, side effect. We are the same age but she is Japanese and I am not. They say we are all different and treatment is different as well. I wish you the best and pray for your good health.

Hugs and Prayers,
    Diana
  • mjd8136
    mjd8136 Member Posts: 4
    Rague said:

Not after but during
    for me. I started rads one week after last Taxol and started Femara at the end of the first week of rads. for 11 months now.

Susan

thanks, wishing all good
    thanks, wishing all good health in the coming year.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    sparkle1 said:

I finished radiation on
    Sparkle

Hope this helps!
    I have been on arimidex since April 2009 and am doing very well. I have bone mets (ribs) and the arimidex has really lowered all of my cancer markers and I feel much better (no more rib pain at all). I do have to take the arimidex in the evening because it really made me tired during the day otherwise. Other than neck pain (like a neck "crick") off and on, I have not had the aches and pains that some have. The neck pain may be osteoarthritis because I do have that anyway--I manage it with thermacare (little heat pads)and it doesn't slow me down.