dentist

Options
poopergirl14052
poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Can we have dental work and cleaning while on chemo > asked my dentist and he wanted to know my wbc counts..so I backed off as I can not afford to get sick. maybe I should wait for my chemo break in April.

Comments

• Barbara53
    Barbara53 Member Posts: 652
    Options
    if you must
    Mom recently cracked a tooth, and her onc said she could have it fixed just before her next chemo was scheduled, when white counts should be at their highest. If it's not an emergency, he said to wait until the regimen was through.

Good luck!
  • azgrandma
    azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Barbara53 said:

if you must
    Mom recently cracked a tooth, and her onc said she could have it fixed just before her next chemo was scheduled, when white counts should be at their highest. If it's not an emergency, he said to wait until the regimen was through.

Good luck!

i have been avoiding going also
    still having trouble with white count, so delaying going to dentist
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    Options
    dentist
    My dentist would not do any work on my teeth while I was on chemo. Which ended up being a little over 2 years before I could get an appointment and not be on chemo and not have low white counts or platelet counts.

Now it is time for a second cleaning and I cannot go as I am on this trial! Maybe sometime this year. Something to look forward to! ☺ The good news was last year no cavities after all that time.

Libby
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    My dentist is fine with
    My dentist is fine with doing routine work on chemo patients but my oncologist would not let me have a root canal done until my platlets reached a decent level. I had to put it off for months.

Carlene