Diagnosed Dec 7th first oncology appointment not until Jan 31st

Options
MeredithG
MeredithG Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I started bleeding in August I am afraid that this cancer is spreading but I don't have insurance and public hospital is a slow moving machine. I am really afraid that this cancer will kill me before I can get treatment.

Comments

• leesag
    leesag Member Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Dear Meredith,
    I don't know

Dear Meredith,

I don't know the details of your diagnosis, but I want you to know that I'm thinking of you and praying hard. You are not alone.

Hugs,
    Leesa
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    so sorry
    I will also keep you in my prayers.are you stage 2or 3?? can you get in earlier?? stay strong and positive and i know it is scarey....val
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Don't panic. Is Jan 31 your
    Don't panic. Is Jan 31 your first treatment? Or the first opportunity you have to see the doctor? I was diagnosed 9-17-09, had surgery 9-29-09 and did not start treatment until November - about 2 months after my diagnosis.

How and by whom was your diagnosis made? I'm guessing - because it's the "norm" - that you had a CT scan and/or lab work and maybe an ultrasound (specifically a trans-vaginal ultrasound). At any rate, the cancer will not kill you before the end of the month. Rest assured of that. You should, however, be on the look out for discomfort from ascites (fluid in the belly, which can be very uncomfortable) or especially, the symptoms of a bowel obstruction (vomiting, severe abdominal pain that comes in "waves", almost like labor pains). If you think you might be experiencing a BO, get thee to an ER ASAP. But don't panic.

Most of us were diagnosed at stage III or IV and had no clue, early-on. If you are lucky enough not to have mets to other organs, lymph node involvement, etc you are likely to have a better outcome. Don't panic. Write down some questions for the doctor, like what treatment plan he/she advises. Usually it's de-bulking surgery, with a complete hysterectomy, followed by chemotherapy. Some women get IP chemo prior to the standard IV chemo, and some even receive chemo before their surgery. It just dependsd on your doctor and particulars of your case.

You might also check with any large teaching hospitals near you. They will often treat indigent cancer patients pro bono. Where do you live? Maybe we can help you find a program that will help.

Did I mention....don't panic?

Carlene