Positive Actions

carkris
carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Here is an article from Living with Breast cancer

This clearly is the day of resolutions. My only thought this year is to try to notice and appreciate my life even more. The usual suspects of exercise, nutrition, weight loss, etc. are already part of my life (ever notice how crowded the gym becomes the first few weeks of January before all those people vanish?). Here is an article from the Komen Foundation about the importance of exercise in possibly lowering recurrence risk, and they have addressed it from a New Year's Resolution perspective. Happy and Healthy New Year.

New Year’s Resolution: Get active and lower your breast cancer risk

Being physically active is one of the best things you can do for your health. It helps you maintain a healthy weight and lowers your risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes. Now, growing scientific evidence shows that it can also help lower your risk of developing or dying from breast cancer.

How might physical activity affect breast cancer?

Physical activity may protect against breast cancer in several ways.

Body weight. Physical activity helps with weight loss and keeping a healthy weight. Thinner women, as well as those who gain little or no weight during adulthood, have a lower risk of postmenopausal breast cancer [1-4]. On average, thinner breast cancer survivors live longer than heavier survivors. This is because they are less likely to have a recurrence or to die from breast cancer or any other cause (such as heart problems or diabetes) [5-9].

Estrogen levels in the body. Physical activity may lower estrogen levels in women [10-11], which may, in turn, help prevent breast cancer from developing or spreading [12-13]. Insulin levels in the body. Physical activity may lower insulin levels in the body [11]. Some data suggest postmenopausal women with lower levels of insulin tend to have a lower risk of developing or dying from breast cancer [14-19].

http://tinyurl.com/2euabyb
I know this Christmas season started of freally happy with our ornament exchange and then we had a few dips. Losing heidi has been tough on us all, and a reminder of how nasty this disease can be. Lends one to feeling helpless and scared.
But we need to remember there are positive things we can do to fight this disease. Perhaps people can post what they do, and people can incorporate them into their life plan for 2o11. Fight the beast with everything youve got!!!

Comments

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Thank you. I needed that
    I go in for my brain MRI on Tuesday and am scared half to death. I just feel so sure it's spreading. Last week i WAS SO POSITIVE IT WASN'T!!!
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Mama G said:

Thank you. I needed that
    I go in for my brain MRI on Tuesday and am scared half to death. I just feel so sure it's spreading. Last week i WAS SO POSITIVE IT WASN'T!!!

Mama G,
    I think that we

Mama G,
    I think that we often gauge how we are doing and our expectations on the things that surround us. Don't we all feel uplifted when we hear good results and NED from others and likewise we feel fear and are saddened by bad news or the loss of a sister. With your MRI just before you, the news of Heidi must be having an affect on your sense of well being. I hope that you can regain your sense of positivity about your health. I also pray that your MRI shows nothing new. A loss throws our own sense of mortality right into our faces and if someone is already facing mets or recurrence it must do that even more. One of the things that I love about you is your spirit, your fight and your courage. Reach into yourself and find that hope and courage. It will be one of your greatest weapoons in this fight.
    Again, prayers that all is well, dear friend.
    Stef
  • carkris
    fauxma said:

Mama G,
    I think that we

Mama G,
    I think that we often gauge how we are doing and our expectations on the things that surround us. Don't we all feel uplifted when we hear good results and NED from others and likewise we feel fear and are saddened by bad news or the loss of a sister. With your MRI just before you, the news of Heidi must be having an affect on your sense of well being. I hope that you can regain your sense of positivity about your health. I also pray that your MRI shows nothing new. A loss throws our own sense of mortality right into our faces and if someone is already facing mets or recurrence it must do that even more. One of the things that I love about you is your spirit, your fight and your courage. Reach into yourself and find that hope and courage. It will be one of your greatest weapoons in this fight.
    Again, prayers that all is well, dear friend.
    Stef

It is really hard and to
    It is really hard and to have tests coming up.... I have a headache today so you know I have mets, and my side hurts so you know Ihave mets, and come to think of it my back hurts. But pretty much I think my heart hurts and I am mad and angry that this exists. I have faith Mama that the radiation fixed the brain mets, keep thinking positive. and let us know.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Thank you for the pep talk.
    Thank you for the pep talk. It was exactly what I needed after spending the days after Christmas in the French Quarter. We ate at Arnaud's, the Bourbon House, Cafe du Monde, high tea at Windsor Court, etc. I feel like a stuffed pig. Here's to a New Year and a healthier body! Going to walk the dogs now. Thanks Carkris!
  • carkris

Thank you for the pep talk.
    Thank you for the pep talk. It was exactly what I needed after spending the days after Christmas in the French Quarter. We ate at Arnaud's, the Bourbon House, Cafe du Monde, high tea at Windsor Court, etc. I feel like a stuffed pig. Here's to a New Year and a healthier body! Going to walk the dogs now. Thanks Carkris!

I hope you enjoyed it CC! We
    I hope you enjoyed it CC! We need to take care of ourselves body and mind so glad you enjoyed your holidays, that is important too!