New Year's traditions

Options
aysemari
aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
If we lived in parts of South America, we would wear brightly colored underpants
to ring in the New Year—red if we were looking for love, and yellow for money.
Hmm wonder what color symbolizes health.

No matter what we wear, though, New Year signifies a new beginning.
I just bought a new calendar and I felt really overwhelmed when I held this promise
of another year in my hands. Flipping open a fresh calendar, with its 12 pristine,
as-yet-unmarked months, is perhaps one of the most universally hopeful acts we
humans perform. In Turkey, my home land, it is tradition to leave everything old
behind. A time to shake off a year’s worth of worries, conflicts, and mistakes.
In a way, a chance to start over. We get gifts and brand new clothes for the new
year, welcome new friends and forget any grievances we may have with someone.

Maybe we should start a new year’s tradition of our own and buy a festive, interesting,
beautiful calendar, to celebrate our triumph over the beast for another year.

My new calendar, shows me twelve ways to pamper myself, very
funny cartoons. One is about girlfriends and it shows an image
of a bunch of old ladies drinking and singing. it reads: A friend knows the
the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails.

Though I haven met you, this is exactly what you did for me over this past year.

Happy New Year and HEALTH and HAPPINESS to you all~~

Hugs,
Ayse

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Happy New Year Ayse!
    Thanks for sharing this. Love the calendar and the twelve ways to pamper yourself!!! Make sure you pay attention to them. Here's wishing a happy, healthy 2011 to you and all our other sisters (and brothers) here. xoxo Jean
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Ayse beautiful sentiment. I
    Ayse beautiful sentiment. I like that colorful calendar idea. Have a healthy, red and yellow New Year! Hugs to you.
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    I'm happy to see you back,
    I'm happy to see you back, I've missed your gentle, beautiful thoughts. Thank you for sharing them with us.

I hope each day in this new year is a blessed one for you.

Linda
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Ayse,
    What a wonderful way

Ayse,
    What a wonderful way to look at the new calendar. And thank you for sharing the traditions. I laughed at the underpants. Now I will be looking at everyone on New Year's Day and wondering what color they have on. LOL I especially loved the personal traditions that you shared. What a great idea. Shed the old and begin anew, fresh. I think I will do that. Make a clean start. Oh, and if I can get anyone to get me new clothes and presents that will be a bonus.
    Health and happiness to you also and to all on this board.
    Stef
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

Ayse,
    What a wonderful way

Ayse,
    What a wonderful way to look at the new calendar. And thank you for sharing the traditions. I laughed at the underpants. Now I will be looking at everyone on New Year's Day and wondering what color they have on. LOL I especially loved the personal traditions that you shared. What a great idea. Shed the old and begin anew, fresh. I think I will do that. Make a clean start. Oh, and if I can get anyone to get me new clothes and presents that will be a bonus.
    Health and happiness to you also and to all on this board.
    Stef

My dear friend, Ayse
    I'm on board. Let's leave this past year far behind and be grateful and happy to begin anew!

Happy New Year to you and all of our dear sisters/brothers on this fantastic site. I have faith, hope, determination and joy for the future ahead.

Hugs, Renee
  • rainbow4
    rainbow4 Member Posts: 137
    Options
    A fresh New Year to all
    I've been washing and drying clothes like crazy today, so that everything is clean and fresh. I plan to fill in my new wall, desk, and purse calendars tonight with birthdays and anniversaries to remember, medical appointments already scheduled (don't enjoy that part as much), pamper myself with some goodies, light every candle in the house, and give thanks for all my cyber sisters - and of course my family, friends, HEALTH and HAPPINESS for the coming year. Join me!

-rainbow4
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    missrenee said:

My dear friend, Ayse
    I'm on board. Let's leave this past year far behind and be grateful and happy to begin anew!

Happy New Year to you and all of our dear sisters/brothers on this fantastic site. I have faith, hope, determination and joy for the future ahead.

Hugs, Renee

Sounds great
    Leaving all the bad behind and having a new start sounds great! I love the saying "A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me if memory fails" Happy New Year to all of you!! God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Options
    Pork and sauerkraut
    In Lancaster County, PA, it is traditional on New Year's Day to always eat pork and sauerkraut. It's a tradition that ensures a year of good luck, much like black-eyed peas in the South.
    I hope everyone has a happy and healthy new year!
    Linda
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    linpsu said:

Pork and sauerkraut
    In Lancaster County, PA, it is traditional on New Year's Day to always eat pork and sauerkraut. It's a tradition that ensures a year of good luck, much like black-eyed peas in the South.
    I hope everyone has a happy and healthy new year!
    Linda

My New Year's black-eyed peas are soaking and ready
    My grandmother was from Nebraska, and never let a New Year's Day go by without eating black-eyed peas, so mine are in their overnight bath as we speak.

I used to have a Romanian neighbor who said in her family you were supposed to take an empty suitcase and walk up and down with it in front of your house at midnight on New Year's Eve -- to ensure that you would go on some fabulous trip in the New Year.

Now...I wonder...what would happen if I put the brightly-colored underpants IN the suitcase? Excuse me, gotta go dig my suitcase out of the garage....

Traci
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

My New Year's black-eyed peas are soaking and ready
    My grandmother was from Nebraska, and never let a New Year's Day go by without eating black-eyed peas, so mine are in their overnight bath as we speak.

I used to have a Romanian neighbor who said in her family you were supposed to take an empty suitcase and walk up and down with it in front of your house at midnight on New Year's Eve -- to ensure that you would go on some fabulous trip in the New Year.

Now...I wonder...what would happen if I put the brightly-colored underpants IN the suitcase? Excuse me, gotta go dig my suitcase out of the garage....

Traci

Ayse you are such a poet!
    Ayse you are such a poet! Traci let us know what you decide and how it works out!
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    It is so good to be back
    I realized, that while it is painful to hear about the recurrences and the losses, I can not turn my back on you. You all mean too much to me. And I will always worry and wonder about you.

When I was watching the fireworks on New year's eve, I looked around and I felt strangely disconnected, I envied their innocence while I felt like I was there on borrowed time. In a way it made even more special for me.

I thought of you and wondered if anyone else felt that way. That's when I realized, you will always be the only ones to fully understand me.

And I thought about the first time I posted on this board and the state I was in. Your posts gave me so much comfort and hope, that I will never forget what you have done for me. So I thought the best thing I can do, is stay here and embrace the terrified newbies as you have embraced me.

Love,
    Ayse