cyber knife?

Options
glinka65
glinka65 Member Posts: 132
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
anyone have an exp. with this, i am going to check it out....hope it could be an option

Comments

• mukamom
    mukamom Member Posts: 402
    Options
    My husband
    had cyberknife to the liver in Nov. He had a small tumor on the back side of the left lobe right up against the diaphragm and was growing, even on chemo. RFA was not an option due to the proximity to the diaphragm, lungs and heart..they could be damaged.

Treatment itself was pretty easy on Robert. No side effects except for some fatigue.

He had a cat scan Dec 16 which showed the tumor had decreased in size and they expect it to continue to shrink.

Go to youtube and search cyberknife and they have videos explaining the treatment process. I don't know where your tumor is, but there are different videos for different organs.

There are only about 200 cyberknife centers in the US. We were lucky to have one about 50 miles from us.

Accuray is the company that holds the trademark..Go to their site Accuray.com and there is a lot of info there too. They can even help with insurance approval if that becomes a problem.

Good luck and if you have any questions, ask away!

Angela
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    mukamom said:

My husband
    had cyberknife to the liver in Nov. He had a small tumor on the back side of the left lobe right up against the diaphragm and was growing, even on chemo. RFA was not an option due to the proximity to the diaphragm, lungs and heart..they could be damaged.

Treatment itself was pretty easy on Robert. No side effects except for some fatigue.

He had a cat scan Dec 16 which showed the tumor had decreased in size and they expect it to continue to shrink.

Go to youtube and search cyberknife and they have videos explaining the treatment process. I don't know where your tumor is, but there are different videos for different organs.

There are only about 200 cyberknife centers in the US. We were lucky to have one about 50 miles from us.

Accuray is the company that holds the trademark..Go to their site Accuray.com and there is a lot of info there too. They can even help with insurance approval if that becomes a problem.

Good luck and if you have any questions, ask away!

Angela

Howdy!
    I had Cyberknife a few months back. Chemo killed off all but 1 tumor was just laying dormant and not dead...little devil witch!! It was in my lung in the Hilum area. It was affecting my breathing and I wanted it out...STAT! Was not going to wait around for ANOTHER type of chemo to MAYBE kill..I opted for Cyberknife at St. Louis University. It took 4 sessions.... Each one lasted about 3 hours with prep time. I will not know until january 4th if it was 100% successful but all docs are pretty sure since breathing went back to normal and CEA has dropped to 5.3...... REAL CLOSE to normal. I am soooooooo glad I did it as there were no side effects other than a sore back from laying for so long with no movement.... but I was on the tail end of a broken back too so that could have been why. Back fine.... lungs fine... life is good....today! Good luck to you. Take care

Jennie
  • glinka65
    glinka65 Member Posts: 132
    Options

Howdy!
    I had Cyberknife a few months back. Chemo killed off all but 1 tumor was just laying dormant and not dead...little devil witch!! It was in my lung in the Hilum area. It was affecting my breathing and I wanted it out...STAT! Was not going to wait around for ANOTHER type of chemo to MAYBE kill..I opted for Cyberknife at St. Louis University. It took 4 sessions.... Each one lasted about 3 hours with prep time. I will not know until january 4th if it was 100% successful but all docs are pretty sure since breathing went back to normal and CEA has dropped to 5.3...... REAL CLOSE to normal. I am soooooooo glad I did it as there were no side effects other than a sore back from laying for so long with no movement.... but I was on the tail end of a broken back too so that could have been why. Back fine.... lungs fine... life is good....today! Good luck to you. Take care

Jennie

howdy
    thank you soooooo much!!!!!
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into this as well
    I go in tomorrow for my scan/form building appt. We're going after a tumor in my rectum and one in my ascending colon, as long as the PET i had done on Tuesday doesn't show anything unexpected.
    mary
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    As always ....(?)

Information:

CyberKnife pro/con

Robotic radiosurgery

Cyberknife Centers of San Diego

Decisions are best made with comprehensive knowledge of the topic.

Hope and wishes for better health.

John