How can I best support loved one beginning the journey?

Smariek
Smariek Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
My sister had CT scan and blood work and doctor now says they suspect OC. She has appt with ONC/GYN set. I love her dearly but live far away, how can I best support her?

Comments

• Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Your Sister
    I'm so sorry to hear that your sister might have OVCA. I would suggest that you learn all you can about the disease and let her know that she can come to you to talk. You should have much more information to work with once she has seen her doctor. Please come back and tell us how you are both doing.
    Best of luck... Maria
  • Smariek
    Mwee said:

Your Sister
    I'm so sorry to hear that your sister might have OVCA. I would suggest that you learn all you can about the disease and let her know that she can come to you to talk. You should have much more information to work with once she has seen her doctor. Please come back and tell us how you are both doing.
    Best of luck... Maria

Thank you
    Thank you Maria for your kind reply. I will educate myself and try to be a good listener. I'll be in touch. Best to you.
  • Barbara53
    Barbara53 Member Posts: 652
    Smariek said:

Thank you
    Thank you Maria for your kind reply. I will educate myself and try to be a good listener. I'll be in touch. Best to you.

send cards
    This is astounding, but some people (perhaps unconsciously) avoid people with cancer, as though they might catch it. The last thing you want is her feeling abandoned or alone. Sending cards often is always a good idea, because you never know what kind of day she's had, or how the world is treating her, and it might be just the pick-me-up she needs. Everyone should be so lucky as to have a sister like you.
  • Smariek
    Barbara53 said:

send cards
    This is astounding, but some people (perhaps unconsciously) avoid people with cancer, as though they might catch it. The last thing you want is her feeling abandoned or alone. Sending cards often is always a good idea, because you never know what kind of day she's had, or how the world is treating her, and it might be just the pick-me-up she needs. Everyone should be so lucky as to have a sister like you.

Good suggestion
    Thank you Barbar53 for the suggestion of frequent cards. I hadn't thought of it and can see where they might be a welcome addition to the emails and phone calls. I hadn't thought either of people avoiding cancer patients. I never want my sister to feel abandoned or alone and will make every effort to prevent that.

It is clear that these discussion boards are a sisterhood of sorts and it is encouraging to read the stories of courage and hope. Bless you all.
  • Bstrange
    Bstrange Member Posts: 87
    suggestion
    My sister, lives 1500 miles away. When I came down with this she called me everyday, sometimes twice a day. At first we talked and talked about OC, but then we began to talk about fun things, trips we were planning. (haven't gone on one yet, she's afraid to fly!!) She did come down to see me twice since 2007 and we talk everyday. Although, she is not here, she is one of my rocks. Just be available anytime if she wants to talk. God bridges distance.

God Bless,
    Barbara
  • Smariek
    Bstrange said:

suggestion
    My sister, lives 1500 miles away. When I came down with this she called me everyday, sometimes twice a day. At first we talked and talked about OC, but then we began to talk about fun things, trips we were planning. (haven't gone on one yet, she's afraid to fly!!) She did come down to see me twice since 2007 and we talk everyday. Although, she is not here, she is one of my rocks. Just be available anytime if she wants to talk. God bridges distance.

God Bless,
    Barbara

Barbara - one more Question
    Barbara, I appreciate your input. I wonder if you could advise me further though as my sister, whom I am very close with, is not wanting to talk at all, to anyone. Should I continue to leave "thinking about you" voice mail messages? I realize she is in the "limbo" period right now as she waits to see the ONC this week. The CT scan report details point to serious illness so I can imagine that she is in shock. I like your reminder that God bridges distance. I wish you a blessed and Happy New Year.