Clinical studies regarding the benefits of Broccoli as an anti-cancer agent

Options
KathyLQ
KathyLQ Member Posts: 100
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am always interested in knowledge pertaining to natural foods or herbs that are beneficial in our fight against breast cancer.

I've read in books and heard previously, that the cabbage-like vegetables were good for you in their raw form (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage, etc.)

So I found a site by the University of Berkley, and yes, an ingredient in cruciferous vegatables has been found to be beneficial in the fight against breast and ovarian cancer.

I add small chopped amounts to my salads now. Fresh.

Here's the link: http://www.diindolylmethane.org/cliinical_applications.htm

and: http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Research/Broccoli-soy-anti-cancer-benefits-suggested

Comments

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Thank you Kathy for the
    Thank you Kathy for the info. I too have always been interested in nutritional and herbal medicine. Pubmed is a good place to go for research which is a library consisting of abstracts from all over the world. Search for Indole-3-carbinol as well as diindolylmethane for more articles. The cruciferous veggies as well as soy are goitrogenic which means they inhibit the thyroid when consumed in large amounts and I'm pretty sure cooking them does not destroy the beneficial components. It's an intersting field but be careful if you decide to use supplements, while some people promote the use of some supplements, careful research can reveal that they can actually promote cancer. Always check with your oncologist for your particular case. The word "cancer" is often used loosely which is usually a warning sign to me since there are so many different types even within breast cancer.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Thank you Kathy for the
    Thank you Kathy for the info. I too have always been interested in nutritional and herbal medicine. Pubmed is a good place to go for research which is a library consisting of abstracts from all over the world. Search for Indole-3-carbinol as well as diindolylmethane for more articles. The cruciferous veggies as well as soy are goitrogenic which means they inhibit the thyroid when consumed in large amounts and I'm pretty sure cooking them does not destroy the beneficial components. It's an intersting field but be careful if you decide to use supplements, while some people promote the use of some supplements, careful research can reveal that they can actually promote cancer. Always check with your oncologist for your particular case. The word "cancer" is often used loosely which is usually a warning sign to me since there are so many different types even within breast cancer.

Thanks Kathy. I will read
    Thanks Kathy. I will read the article.

Jan