My Last Chemo over -- my CHRISTMAS present arrived

Options
PatB01
PatB01 Member Posts: 20
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I've been gone a few months, as I have been journeying thru my chemo treatments. And now I am VERY happy to say -- my final "big guns" TCH treatment is finished. Oh I still have a year of herceptin to go every 3 weeks, but that is cake walk!

When this journey began, I don't think anyone could have been more scared than me. 12 years ago I had a long hard road with my late husband on chemo and radiation, and all those memories came flooding back. But with the help of all you ladies, I was convinced this would be very different, and it has been. Yes there have been side effects, but mostly just a few days of being tired after the BIG chemo treatment -- certainly nothing that could not be handled with a little extra rest. And the hair thing -- but I am learning to like my "plop and go" hair! I hear I have another 2-3 months before I'll start seeing my real hair growth again. And the diarrhea became manageable once I understood what to avoid.

So all in all, it has not really been that difficult of an experience. And now I will be focusing on getting my stamina and strength back, and giving my body everything I can to help it recover.

I am writing this mostly for any newcomers, to help you know -- it is not as bad as you might imagine. If I can make it thru so can you.

Next up on my cancer journey is 28 days of "chest wall" radiation. Everyone tells me that will be easy compared to the chemo. So I am going into it with that attitude. I hope to be thru with that by mid March. Then I get a year off before having to think hard about any reconstruction (after my double mastectomy).

I want to thank all you ladies for your inspiration. And I hope to be a more frequent participant now that I have this chemo behind me.

May God bless each of you, and bring you a new year filled with peace and joy.

Pat B in Tampa.

Comments

• Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    Congratulations!!
    Finishing chemo is such a big deal!! I am so happy for you. I am nearly 6 months out of chemo. I have about 2 1/2 inches of really curly thick hair!! Mine grew a little faster than I thought it would, my hair has always grown fast though. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Hi Pat,
    Congratulations on finishing chemo. It is a wonderful feeling. Good luck with your rads. Happy New Year to you too! hugs, jean
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Pat,
    Congratulations on finishing chemo. It is a wonderful feeling. Good luck with your rads. Happy New Year to you too! hugs, jean

Good going, Pat!
    You've reached yet another milestone. Congrats. You'll soon be on the other side of the rads milestone. Keep strong and focused.

Positive energy and hugs to you,
    Renee
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    missrenee said:

Good going, Pat!
    You've reached yet another milestone. Congrats. You'll soon be on the other side of the rads milestone. Keep strong and focused.

Positive energy and hugs to you,
    Renee

Pat .. Congratulations on crossing that finish line
    job well done .. Good luck on your radiations ..

Strength and Courage

Vicki
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Congratulations! Finishing
    Congratulations! Finishing the chemo is definitely an accomplishment. I hope rads go smoothly for you, and I also wish you peace and joy in the new year.

Hugs,

Linda
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Pat
    glad you finished chemo. I too start rads in the New Year. I will have 25. I had my CT scan and mapping (tattooing) on Tuesday. I go next Thursday for a dry run. Hoping to be done by Feb. 11th. Mine will also be the chest wall. I too had bilateral mastectomy (no reconstruction and no lymph node involvement) but my tumor was against the chest wall and close to the pectoral muscle. At least it's the right side so my heart is protected. I'm a bit worried about lungs, etc but hope for the best results. I'm already starting to put cream on to keep my skin smooth.
    {{hugs}} Char