Holiday Hospital Update

mswijiknyc
mswijiknyc Member Posts: 421
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Patrick has been in the hospital since Wednesdat December 22. He passed out, turned blue, and stopped breathing. After myriad tests, antibiotics, a seriously violent delusional spell where he had to be tied to the bed (think it was a come down from the morphine but don't quote me on that) so far this is what we have:

The tumor is cutting off blood flow through the carotid artery, which accounts for the hypotension, dizziness, blackouts, weakness and general fogginess mentally. Still waiting for everyone to come up with options of what his treatment choices will be at this point.

Debbie and Skipper - I know the 1000 yard blank stare very well. He delayed his treatment for 2 months for whatever reason. Not sure what the next step will be as he gets confused and slightly "not home" mentally.

See what happens . . .

Comments

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    hugs
    Hugs, hugs, hugs.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Carotid Artery
    I know this problem well, my radiation blocked my Carotid Artery by almost 40%, I have a lot of problems with blood pressure either being too high or too low. It causes me to almost faint at times
  • mswijiknyc
    mswijiknyc Member Posts: 421
    even better
    the carotid on the other side is narrow so he has really reduced blood flow going to the brain. The option of a stent has come up. If the blockage is from plaque, it can be done and will be encouraged. If it's from the tumor putting pressure on the carotid, it would do more harm than good.

Also the other tumor at his skull base is screwing with the nerves on his left side. His left eyelid is dropped shut and his left eye is showing signs of myopia. If this continues he could lose sight in his left eye. His left leg is numb almost all the time. It's to the point where I'm being a prescription for a walker and a wheel chair.

For someone who used to climb the steel of 700 foot buildings with 100 lbs of tools, this stabs me in the heart.

I hate this.
  • staceya
    staceya Member Posts: 720

even better
    the carotid on the other side is narrow so he has really reduced blood flow going to the brain. The option of a stent has come up. If the blockage is from plaque, it can be done and will be encouraged. If it's from the tumor putting pressure on the carotid, it would do more harm than good.

Also the other tumor at his skull base is screwing with the nerves on his left side. His left eyelid is dropped shut and his left eye is showing signs of myopia. If this continues he could lose sight in his left eye. His left leg is numb almost all the time. It's to the point where I'm being a prescription for a walker and a wheel chair.

For someone who used to climb the steel of 700 foot buildings with 100 lbs of tools, this stabs me in the heart.

I hate this.

I wish I could make this
    I wish I could make this better for you.
    I can only send you my prayers and thoughts.
    Stacey
    Grew up in Brooklyn, now living in Montana.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member

even better

I hate this.

wheel chair
    One thing we all agree on is that Cancer Sucks