Had CT scan & mapping yesterday

Options
cahjah75
cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Yesterday I went to the hospital and a radiologist tech did a CT scan of my right breast mastectomy and then tattooed the area. I am scheduled to have a "dry run" next Thursday. Depending on whether I actually start radiation that day or the following Monday, I will be done by Feb. 11th! I am starting to moisurize now in hopes of preventing any burns.
Char

Comments

• Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Your first time will take
    Your first time will take awhile Char, so, don't be upset. After that, they will only take a few minutes. They have to make sure you are aligned with the machine. And, very good that you have started using your creams. Did your rads oncologist recommend anything? Use what he says, and, just not what someone else says. And, lather it on good.

At night, I used greasy aquaphor and I felt like a greased pig, but, it kept my skin moist and helped a lot.

Good luck!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Megan M said:

Your first time will take
    Your first time will take awhile Char, so, don't be upset. After that, they will only take a few minutes. They have to make sure you are aligned with the machine. And, very good that you have started using your creams. Did your rads oncologist recommend anything? Use what he says, and, just not what someone else says. And, lather it on good.

At night, I used greasy aquaphor and I felt like a greased pig, but, it kept my skin moist and helped a lot.

Good luck!

I took Traci's advice witht
    I took Traci's advice witht the aquaphor and wore a mans tee shirt every night. the aquaphor is quite staining. I also brought it to radiation and put it on afterward in the dressing room. I still have to moisturize at least twice a day.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    my treatment center
    gave me many many tubes (sample size) moisturizer...I can't recall the name right now..but convinent to carry if needed while at work etc...
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    I've used
    Aquaphor before for my dry heels. I think it's too gooey to put on my body. I received many samples from the oncology nurses and decided to purchase Miaderm - recommended by oncologists and radiologists. My biggest problem is having shoulders that don't function properly that my husband will most likely have to put the cream on me at night. I can't reach the whole area. lol I did read on another post that she bought a silicone basting brush so as not to put pressure with fingers on the area. I may go that route. I like being prepared. It certainly made chemo a lot easier.
    Char
  • Betsy13
    Betsy13 Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Aloe Vera
    works very well. My rad. onc. nurses gave me tons of little tubes and I could put them in my purse. As long as they are unscented, you can buy it if you want. I put it on 3 times per day, morning, after radiation, then before bed.

I got really burned and itchy towards the end of my treatment. My rad. onc. nurse gave me gel pads that were wonderfully cooling, unfortunately I had an allergic reaction so them and everywhere I was burned, I bubbled up. So, I used neosporin, then cortisone, then put a Petrolatum Dressing called Xeroform made by Kendall over the top of the 2 cremes, then on top of that I placed a Non-Adherent Dressing called Telfa (3 in x 8 in) again by Kendall. I changed this 3 times per day (needed a warm washcloth to remove before radiation) and it healed after about 3 days. I would continue using this whenever I itched which towards the end was often.

Looking back I was so uncomfortable. I pray you have no allergic reaction and no itching!

Hugs~
    Betsy