NOW I Have News to Share - and How Are Your Necks?

Options
2»

Comments

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Pam
    At last good news, I am very happy for you and will keep praying for your healing
  • Pat in SC
    Pat in SC Member Posts: 5
    Options
    fisrpotpe said:

Wonderful
    Your news is just plain Wonderful! For you to be on 7 days later shows how well your doing.

I am now 14 years 6 months post surgery for modified radical neck dissection. I still am numb on the left shoulder left neck and both bottom half of my ears(from radiation) The best I can do is raise my left arm very fast and it will go all the way up. If I do it slowly and or lift slowly it will only go just above shoulder height. Swallowing just ok, still need lots of water/liquid to eat.

All of the above is more than bearable to live with.

The hardest thing i have to deal with are my teeth and spicy foods. Oh I do not do alcohol of any sort and stay away from second hand smoke.

I suggest to you that you will recovery very well, the problem is for many that it is just not fast enough. Please us wisdom to get thru. It took me almost 2 years to be used to new normal.

Happy Dance for you.

Shoulder movement
    I'm past 15 years from surgery. My advise is Don't skip physical therapy. It is very important later on with mobility of your arm. Try and do the massages that are shown you by the therapists. I can now lift my arm up but only for a short time. Blow drying my hair is an adventure as I am left handed and my surgery was on the left side. I'm sorry to say that you may not regain feeling in your neck area and what you will feel when touched will feel like to you like a shock. If I think about my neck & shoulder I swear that it feel like someone is standing on my shoulder,or that I am being strangled.Luckily it's only if I think about it.
    Good luck with your recovery

Pat
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Pat in SC said:

Shoulder movement
    I'm past 15 years from surgery. My advise is Don't skip physical therapy. It is very important later on with mobility of your arm. Try and do the massages that are shown you by the therapists. I can now lift my arm up but only for a short time. Blow drying my hair is an adventure as I am left handed and my surgery was on the left side. I'm sorry to say that you may not regain feeling in your neck area and what you will feel when touched will feel like to you like a shock. If I think about my neck & shoulder I swear that it feel like someone is standing on my shoulder,or that I am being strangled.Luckily it's only if I think about it.
    Good luck with your recovery

Pat

Blow drying
    THAT is exactly why my hair is pixie short. I have lots of thick crazy wiry hair and the half that fell out during rads grew back even more kinky and wirey. It require a flat iron if I want it long and nice looking. Or at least blown out with a brush dryer. Nothing like a spastic weak arm trying to handle a 350 degree hair weapon. I burnt my forhead, and my left ear. So much easier, I literally do nothing to my hair and it looks nice on a daily basis.
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    GREAT NEWS
    Glad to hear all went so well. I had my Surgeries in early August and still have numbness. My Doc says it could be a year out to determine what my be permanent numbness.

BEST!!

Mike