my mom's been diagnosed with stage 2 nsclc

Options
starfox
starfox Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
My mom will be starting 3 treatments of taxol and carboplatin in early january. She's 80. Can anyone give me an idea of how difficult it will be? What we should expect? Thanks!

Comments

• stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Our favorite line here - everyone is different!
    Hi, Starfox, I was just looking at your post on Inspire - small world! Really, everyone reacts differently to chemo - how your mom stands up under it probably depends less on her age as on how relatively healthy she is, and how sensitive she is to the particular chemo. Taxol and Carboplatin are one of the standard first-line cocktails, and I believe its a milder mix than the Cisplatin/Etoposide combo that lots of other people get.

She is very likely to lose her hair within the first two-three weeks, and she may have nausea with the chemo, but the nurses can give her anti-nausea meds, and they really DO work ;-)

Try to stay with her while she's having her treatment, it's pretty scary to do alone, and once the chemo is all hooked up it's a little boring, too. Make sure she has something to keep her occupied - a book, magazines, even small things like crackers to snack on if she can.

Some chemo drugs can make you feel very fatigued and cold - make sure her treatment center has blankets and pillows if she needs them for warmth & comfort.

And take with you my best wishes for your mom!

Stayingcalm
  • Concerned Daughter
    Options
    My mom was 60 when she
    My mom was 60 when she started and turned 61 3 months later...She had a combination of chemo and radiation about 4 weeks into it that is when the reality hit when we went for the wig fitting she hid some of the symptoms from me but careful questions and knowing you moms body language really helps figuring out the pain level and keeping her at a good level really helps. Eating of course gets difficult soon everything tasted like cardboard for my mom just keep your mom eating even a little bit 5 or 6 times a day helps. God Bless your mom and you. Be strong laugh make her laugh, let her cry but you can't cry not just yet - remember mothers protect their young and if you show weakness she will worry about you - this happened when family started to cry when my mom was losing her hair. My mom when in comfort mode and it really wiped her out mentally and physically you have to really get that through to the family this is a mentally, physical, and spiritual fight.