plh4gail ( Gail)

Options
2»

Comments

• plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Rambling :)
    Ramble away, Gail! I love it when I meet others who can ramble in posts... makes me feel less guilty about some of my long-winded posts, which really is just me rambling at my finger tips :)

Ok, an observation here... I am so impressed with anyone who actually works through their treatments. I know, for some, they don't have a choice... they have to work otherwise they can't pay for their treatments. Others, want to work because it's a diversion from what they are going through and it keeps their mind active. Then there are others who are too weak, or too fatigued, and couldn't physically (or emotionally) be able to work through their treatments.

Me, I didn't work and still don't work... but then, I guess it depends on what you define as work ;) I worked for the provincial government as a systems analyst, training government employees on computer systems. When I was first diagnosed, I was very, very sick and there was a good chance I was not going to leave the hospital. Pretty scary times... so I was definitely on sick leave and then went on LTD. I was lucky... not every employer has a LTD plan as part of the employee benefits and let's face it, the majority of workers never have reason to use it... but I count my lucky stars that it was there for me when I needed it. It meant that my job changed from training employees to looking after myself and focusing on my treatments and getting well.

Once I started feeling better, I found I was handling the treatments very well. To this day, I think the reason I did handle them so well was because of attitude and the fact I had absolutely no pressure that I HAD to get back to work, or work through my treatments. Oh sure, I did feel guilty at times... I mean, I was feeling so good to the point where I could do volunteer work that I loved doing... so shouldn't I actually go back to work? But my oncologist convinced me that the LTD benefit was for people like me, who were able to focus on their health, and because of that, had energy to give back to the community via volunteering.

I have since officially retired from the government job... I reached that magical "Freedom at 55" because I had all my years of service (36 to be exact) in... and, by retiring, it actually gave me a lot more income than remaining on LTD. So I beez a retiree now ... except that I've taken on doing the publicity for 3 different theatre companies! Hahaha... so I guess I'm not just lazing around... but I now am able to work in a field I love... and work from home :)

Soooo... should you be working 12 hour shifts in an ER?? Well, no one can really (or should) tell you what you can or can't do. Only you know if you can handle it... but, besides the long hours and the level of your fatigue, I think the one thing you should ask yourself. Are you doing everything possible to make regaining your health your #1 priority? It's not a matter of can you physically do your job... obviously you can, and you probably do it very, very well, no matter how you are feeling. But by putting all your energy into your job, is there enough energy left over to heal your body from what it is going through? With your job, you are looking after patients 12 hours/day.... you are the nurse, the nurturer, the healer. Well, you have to take those wonderful qualities and skills and direct them all to your own healing. Once you are totally healed, then you will have them to offer to others again... something you have been well-trained to do.

I'm glad to hear that you have decided to heal your body, then you will work. It's a hard decision and takes a lot of getting used to, but will be so worth the results in the end :)

Cheryl
    (fellow rambler)

Thank's Cheryl, yes...I feel
    Thank's Cheryl, yes...I feel like I'm doing the right thing. It's what I would say to my friend or family or anyone else.

Take care, Gail
  • plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Nana b said:

Gail
    I am free all of next week, except for Monday and the 7th, ah calendar!

Raquel
    Well let's see what we can do here...Monday I have to call the dentist for my little one and beg they see her the same day. Tuesday I get my chemo and that might be all I can do for the rest of the week. It leaves me not knowing what's coming.

But wait, do you mean the week coming up now or the next, which will be my second week?

Gail
  • plh4gail said:

Thank's Cheryl, yes...I feel
    Thank's Cheryl, yes...I feel like I'm doing the right thing. It's what I would say to my friend or family or anyone else.

Take care, Gail

This comment has been removed by the Moderator