Post from LoveandHope

mom_2_3
mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
LoveandHope,

I have reposted your entry in its own thread so people can respond to you specifically. Sometimes posts like this can get lost on threads started by other members.

LoveandHope's post:

someone help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
new
can someone please help me. my dad was perfectly healthy until 1 week ago when he had a routine blood test and was told he had colon cancer with mets in lung and liver. he is goin to be operated on , on feb 2011 to have part of the colon removed. he has currently no obstruction in the colon and is gettin operated on in order to avoid any problems in the future. but they give us very little hope for the liver as its quite advanced. they say he can have the option of chemo after the colon op if he feels strong enough but the dr says that he would opt to get his life in order and enjoy whatever time he has left. i have heard about the chemo pump and maybe im just clutching at straws but i would appreciate any info pls. my dad is 78 but feels strong and healthy and has no symptoms. until last week he has been painting and redecorating his hse with my mum. they were also planning on goin on holiday next year. please if anyone can give me any hope i would appreciate it. i am not in denial i know the severity of his illness, but when do u stop having faith and hope and give up? may i repeat that my dad is full of life and is energetic and willing to fight this!
thank you and strength to all xxxx

Comments

• mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Loveandhope
    I am busy trying to get the tree done and last minute stuff finished before service at 3:00 but I did want to take the time to post to you today.

I would seriously consider a second opinion for your father's care. I wouldn't say it unusual to have colon surgery first but more typically I have seen that a patient will immediately start chemo rounds prior to surgery. As of right now, if there is no chance of obstruction, there really isn't any specific reason to have the surgery on the colon. Scheduling for that surgery and subsequent healing can delay chemo treatment which may be of paramount importance right now considering your father has mets in his liver and lungs. Many doctors choose to start chemo right away to see how the mets respond to the treatment and then potentially do colon surgery later (potentially with liver resection).

I am not sure what hospital you are at but a top cancer hospital may be preferred as some tend to more aggressive treatment. You can click on any username to see their personal stories. There are lots of stories here of long-term survival. I am sure others will chime in but we are here for you.

Amy
  • Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    You have lots of reasons to
    You have lots of reasons to hope, you just haven't discovered them yet. Your doctor is not communicating very well with you, and I surely don't don't understand the plan. Get a 2nd opinion. Let us know where you are, and I bet there is a member not too far away.

In the meantime, do try to relax and enjoy Christmas. I'll try to help more later when I have more time.

Stay strong and focussed.

Roger
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I agree with Roger.....
    get thee a new opinion....

dad is VERY young...considering....no time to lose hope!!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    KathiM said:

I agree with Roger.....
    get thee a new opinion....

dad is VERY young...considering....no time to lose hope!!!!

Hugs, Kathi

Just a guess.......
    but I am assuming that from the spelling of the word "mum" instead of mom that she does not live in the US but needless to say I think that your dads Dr. needs a good ole fashion butt whoopin' for telling him that he has a certain amount of time to get affairs in order. If thats so then why does he want to operate on the colon and allow him to have to deal with that issue. My suggestion is if possible to get another dr opinion and not around that area as Drs from the same towns and provinces sometimes seem to be on the same phoneline....There are a lot of options here in the US with the liver lungs, etc, but never ever give up....and know that attitude is everything as well as knowledge of the disease...You can get both right here..........Try and have as Happy a Christmas and New Year holiday as possible.......Buzz
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Buzzard said:

Just a guess.......
    but I am assuming that from the spelling of the word "mum" instead of mom that she does not live in the US but needless to say I think that your dads Dr. needs a good ole fashion butt whoopin' for telling him that he has a certain amount of time to get affairs in order. If thats so then why does he want to operate on the colon and allow him to have to deal with that issue. My suggestion is if possible to get another dr opinion and not around that area as Drs from the same towns and provinces sometimes seem to be on the same phoneline....There are a lot of options here in the US with the liver lungs, etc, but never ever give up....and know that attitude is everything as well as knowledge of the disease...You can get both right here..........Try and have as Happy a Christmas and New Year holiday as possible.......Buzz

Yes
    Mum and going on holiday clued me in as well as not in the states. Getting a second opinion like others have stated would be the first step. Don't like doctors that give someone a statement like that. Try to get an opinion outside of that doctor's office if possible.

Kim
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    I agree with the others
    Second opinion a must. Recent studies show that surgery may not be the best option for Stage 4 colon cancer that is not obstructed - chemo may be the way to go. From the American Society of Clinical Oncology: http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/94030.cfm Dr. Paty's remarks.

Bring that up with his dr, and see what the response is.

Wishing you and your family peace and health,
    Alice
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Love and Hope:
    My hubby, age 61, has Stage IV, mets to lungs and liver, had colon resection then chemo. Lungs and liver not operable. Diagnosed 3/09 and here it is 12/10. There are options out there. You learn to live with cancer, and have a quite good quality of life. Are there underlying reasons why your docs are giving such a grim prognosis at this time? You say your dad was quite healthy and outgoing so I would push for options such as chemo after surgery. Any chance to get the surgery pushed up a bit into January because it will be about 4 weeks after surgery before chemo can be started and with mets to the liver and lungs, getting started with treatment as soon as you can is best, in my opinion.

Take care - Tina
  • loveandhope
    loveandhope Member Posts: 52
    geotina said:

Love and Hope:
    My hubby, age 61, has Stage IV, mets to lungs and liver, had colon resection then chemo. Lungs and liver not operable. Diagnosed 3/09 and here it is 12/10. There are options out there. You learn to live with cancer, and have a quite good quality of life. Are there underlying reasons why your docs are giving such a grim prognosis at this time? You say your dad was quite healthy and outgoing so I would push for options such as chemo after surgery. Any chance to get the surgery pushed up a bit into January because it will be about 4 weeks after surgery before chemo can be started and with mets to the liver and lungs, getting started with treatment as soon as you can is best, in my opinion.

Take care - Tina

love and hopexx
    Hi all

Thanks for all your support. IM new here and not quite sure if ur all getting this. we are a big close family and yesterday we got together and decided not to throw in the towel without a fight. we live very far from USA. we are from GIbraltar a very small british colony at the southern tip of spain. we decided to go to PAMPLONA in Spain. my parents arrived at Pamplona yesterday and they are already doing crutial tests before giving him a prognosis. he had not had these tests done in Gibraltar. they are doing a colonoscopy and biopsy to determine the type of cancer he has. we will be given some news tomorrow. i just dont think that anyone has the right to strip someone of any bit of hope that they might have, no matter how honest they should be with the patient. i was told something the other day by a cancer survivor. he said that he had gone to a doctor who told him that he had a 90% chance that he would die during surgery then he went to another doctor who told him that he had a fantastic 10% chance that he would make it. what a difference huh! i would have opted for the 2nd doctor as did my friend. what a difference can the way you phrase thisngs make!!! please pray that my dad gets some hope tomoro pls...thank you all, my thoughts and prayers are with u all too. xxxxxxxxxxx
  • loveandhope
    thx
    thank you very much xxx
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member

thx
    thank you very much xxx

Hola loveandhope!
    Supongo que te refieres al hospital universitario de Pamplona! Excelente pero por volumen te sugeriria una segunda opinion en hospitales como la Paz de Madrid,La Fe de Valencia o el Hospital Clinico de Barcelona!, Referente al porcentaje de muertes en la operacion, no se a que tipo de operacion te refieres pero sí hablas de resecciones hepaticas, hoy en dia la media de muertes intraoperatoria suele ser inferior al 2 %, no se de donde has sacado lo del 90 %.!
    Un abrazo!
    Pepe.
    Barcelona!
  • loveandhope
    pepebcn said:

Hola loveandhope!
    Supongo que te refieres al hospital universitario de Pamplona! Excelente pero por volumen te sugeriria una segunda opinion en hospitales como la Paz de Madrid,La Fe de Valencia o el Hospital Clinico de Barcelona!, Referente al porcentaje de muertes en la operacion, no se a que tipo de operacion te refieres pero sí hablas de resecciones hepaticas, hoy en dia la media de muertes intraoperatoria suele ser inferior al 2 %, no se de donde has sacado lo del 90 %.!
    Un abrazo!
    Pepe.
    Barcelona!

love and hope
    hola pepe
    cuando hable de 90% me referia a otro caso. hacia referencia a un amigo mio q llevo a su madre por una opinion y el medico le dio un 90% q se moriria durante la operacion. fue a otro medico que con mucho optimismo le dijo, "claro que te puedo ayudar, es dificil pero tiene 10% que lo consiga" en efecto le dijo lo mismo pero se enfoco en el 10% positivo y no en el 90% negativo. es la manera de ver las cosas.
    hoy recibi noticias de pamplona. le van a dar tratamiento pero se lo daran en madrid como el que mensionas arriba. gracias x
  • loveandhope

Yes
    Mum and going on holiday clued me in as well as not in the states. Getting a second opinion like others have stated would be the first step. Don't like doctors that give someone a statement like that. Try to get an opinion outside of that doctor's office if possible.

Kim

love and hope
    hi all
    just received news from my dad who is in a hospital in pamplona (spain) they have given him some hope and he will be starting chemo next week. they have strongly advised against not operating the tumor in his colon. i know that its not goin to be easy but at least they havent sent him home to get his paper work in order and wait for death. i think thats very important! if he has to die it wont be without a fight or without having hope! thaank you all for your support and i hope for all the best for u guys too. xxx
  • pepebcn

love and hope
    hola pepe
    cuando hable de 90% me referia a otro caso. hacia referencia a un amigo mio q llevo a su madre por una opinion y el medico le dio un 90% q se moriria durante la operacion. fue a otro medico que con mucho optimismo le dijo, "claro que te puedo ayudar, es dificil pero tiene 10% que lo consiga" en efecto le dijo lo mismo pero se enfoco en el 10% positivo y no en el 90% negativo. es la manera de ver las cosas.
    hoy recibi noticias de pamplona. le van a dar tratamiento pero se lo daran en madrid como el que mensionas arriba. gracias x

Ok loveandhope, continuamos en mi pobre ingles,que sí no
    se van a mosquear! jajaja.Welcome to the board, stay with us ,there are many here with the same problem as your dad and they are doing quite well ,so you will find lots of answers to your questions and lots of love and support, don't loose your faith and hope ! and please keep us informed about any novelty and success in dad,s fight!.
    Hugs!.
    Pepe.
    By the way what's your name?.
  • loveandhope
    pepebcn said:

se van a mosquear! jajaja.Welcome to the board, stay with us ,there are many here with the same problem as your dad and they are doing quite well ,so you will find lots of answers to your questions and lots of love and support, don't loose your faith and hope ! and please keep us informed about any novelty and success in dad,s fight!.
    Hugs!.
    Pepe.

love and hope
    I will keep u alll apdated.By the way, my name is gabrielle. Sorry for writing in spanish all. i was explaining to pepe something i had written on my previoss post.
  • loveandhope
    pepebcn said:

Hugs!.
    Pepe.

love and hope
    I will keep u alll apdated.By the way, my name is gabrielle. Sorry for writing in spanish all. i was explaining to pepe something i had written on my previoss post.
  • pepebcn

love and hope

Good luck Gabrielle ,please keep us informed
    about your dad!.Which hospital in Madrid they have addressed to you?
    Hugs and good luck !
  • loveandhope
    pepebcn said:

Good luck Gabrielle ,please keep us informed
    about your dad!.Which hospital in Madrid they have addressed to you?
    Hugs and good luck !

love and hope
    dont have that info yet. both my sisters and my mum are with him in pamplona now so we get info by phone but have not got all the details yet. we are waiting for biopsy results which wont be back till wednesday. so theyll be there till then. then they have to come back to gibraltar so that the government agrees to pay for his treatment but hopefully that'll be done in a few days x
  • pepebcn

love and hope
    dont have that info yet. both my sisters and my mum are with him in pamplona now so we get info by phone but have not got all the details yet. we are waiting for biopsy results which wont be back till wednesday. so theyll be there till then. then they have to come back to gibraltar so that the government agrees to pay for his treatment but hopefully that'll be done in a few days x

So you got excellent hospitals there , as public
    ones you got ,12 de octubre,La Paz, Gregorio Marañon and Puerta de Hierro, amog others I think you got 14 major public hospitals in Madrid but those 4 are the largest and the most known.As private ones Ruber internacional or MD Anderson Madrid,are the most reputed ones!.
    Hope it helps to you!
    Hugs!
  • loveandhope
    pepebcn said:

So you got excellent hospitals there , as public
    ones you got ,12 de octubre,La Paz, Gregorio Marañon and Puerta de Hierro, amog others I think you got 14 major public hospitals in Madrid but those 4 are the largest and the most known.As private ones Ruber internacional or MD Anderson Madrid,are the most reputed ones!.
    Hope it helps to you!
    Hugs!

LOVE AND HOPE
    how are you doin pepe. whats your story.x
  • pepebcn

LOVE AND HOPE
    how are you doin pepe. whats your story.x

Stage 4 on may 09 !
    Surgery on January 2010 everything ok until August when reoccurrence on lymph nodes , Chemo Irinotecan +5fu+Avastin make disappear everything ,but we have continued with Radiotherapy until last week ,now waiting for Scan and Pet mid January to see the result and then Surgery on early February!.
    Hugs!