Has anyone had an increase in their estradiol levels while on Arimidex?

KayNYC
KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Looked up my recent labs and found that my circulating estrogen actually increased to three times the levels they were before I started Arimidex in June. After working through all of the side effects because taking the Arimidex is supposed to decrease the chance of my estrogen + Cancer returning, I find that my estrogen is actually more than before I started the medication ( although they remain within the postmenopausal range. Very frustrating!
I have a call in for the NP at the Onc's office to call me back. Hope this was a lab error.
Hugs, K

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    probably You body/ovaries are trying to compensate
    Yes, checklab for errors. As far as estrogen goes, if you were not postmenopausal when started Arimidex your body has been trying to compensate for estrogen that has been blocked by Arimidex (Arimidex blocks only estrogen produced by glands, assuming that ovaries are not producing). Please discuss your estrogen levels with your doctor. Because ovaries can start making estrogen again.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member

probably You body/ovaries are trying to compensate
    Yes, checklab for errors. As far as estrogen goes, if you were not postmenopausal when started Arimidex your body has been trying to compensate for estrogen that has been blocked by Arimidex (Arimidex blocks only estrogen produced by glands, assuming that ovaries are not producing). Please discuss your estrogen levels with your doctor. Because ovaries can start making estrogen again.

No one checks mine.
    I asked my oncologist about my levels because I know they check with Tomaxifen. She said they don't check them. What test did you have so I can insist on it. She probably figure that at my age, how much could I have. I had enough to get estrogen receptive bc 2 years ago!

Roseann
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    I had hormonal problems when
    I had hormonal problems when I was transporting and delivering fuel by tractor trailer in the 90's. I on more than one occasion asked my doc about checking my estrogen levels and she kept telling me they can't do that. That was very frustrating!! However, I was never checked on Tamoxifen and have only recently been tested due only to my accommodating doc. He told me that estrogen levels are forever fluctuating so it is not helpful to test for it. All my levels told anyone was that I was postmenopausal....and I could have told them that :) Don't know how it works for everyone else. I'll be interested in hearing.