I'm going to scream

124»

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member

What not to say to a cancer patient
    I came across this blog last week. I've read others, but the section “You should forget about it, you’re fine, you beat it, move on.”

really hit home. I would love to send it to 2 of my "closest friends" who kept up this type of "abuse" to me all through my treatments, but I won't. They simply don't understand and I know they thought they had my best interest at heart, but all they did was hurt me and piss me off. They were also the only people who treated me that way. And I forgive them for not being smart enough to realize what they were doing.

http://wildrosespirit.wordpress.com/2008/06/27/what-not-to-say-to-a-cancer-patient/

After the last time my friends said something that really hurt, I asked them to please not do that to me anymore, that it hurt my feelings. I talked to my husband about it later and he told me that sometimes he felt I did talk about cancer too much, but that his job was to listen and support me and it should be their job, too.

It does help to hear from others that pretty much all of us experienced this kind of interaction. In hindsight, I wish I'd been better able to ignore them.

Suzanne

after the fact
    my youngest (then about 15) told me once i was done with treatment etc...a so called friend of hers said oh I CAN"T wait for your mom to lose her hair...it hurt her very bad...i just said to her that-that person was stupid and ignorant...and I only had radiation so did not lose my hair...

but why anyone would say something like that...i know teen but either way..cruel to my daughter..as you can figure no longer friends with that PERSON..
  • Betsy13
    Betsy13 Member Posts: 185

I don't scream, I get quiet
    I can't afford "a piece of cake" anymore. I've stopped talking to almost everyone about cancer, including my family. They don't want to hear it, and I don't want to hear the dumb comments. For what, so my feelings can be hurt. No thanks.

Ms. Sunshine
    Yep, I'm right there with you.