Liver Biopsy Next Week

Daffodil324
Daffodil324 Member Posts: 59
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was diagnosed with stage IIIb colon cancer in August 2009, followed by a colectomy and then chemo--12 treatments of Folfox which lasted until April 2010. A pet scan and colonoscopy in spring/summer 2010 all came back clean. I know I've been very fortunate so far.

However, I've had persistently high alkaline phosphatase (ALP) levels since last spring, which generally indicates a liver problem. My oncologist did some tests but couldn't account for it, so he sent me back to my gastroenterologist. The GI doctor ran more tests, lab work and a sonogram. The sonogram came back normal, not showing anything there. Lab work continues to show the high ALP. The GI doctor says he believes I have a fatty liver, but he wants a liver biopsy which is scheduled for next Wednesday. Naturally I keep thinking of colon cancer spread to the liver, but the GI doctor told me emphatically that he does not believe my liver problem has to do with colon cancer.

With a clear pet scan and sonogram, it's not likely to be colon cancer in the liver, right? I still can't help worrying.

Karen

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Hi
    Good to hear from you, Karen! I think your doctor is probably right about this. Please let us know your results!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Daffodil324
    Daffodil324 Member Posts: 59
    tootsie1 said:

Hi
    Good to hear from you, Karen! I think your doctor is probably right about this. Please let us know your results!

*hugs*
    Gail

Thank you
    Thank you for the reassurance, Kathy and Gail. I think the doctor is probably right too, but then I start to worry again--I've got to stop that!

The PET scan was in June, so about 6 months ago. The ultrasound was just a couple of weeks ago, ordered by my gastroenterologist. He says there is something wrong with my liver but he doesn't yet know for certain what it is, though he's ruled out quite a few possibilities with the labwork and scan. He says he believes it's probably a fatty liver, but he wants the needle biopsy of the liver. It felt as if he wasn't telling me everything he's thinking, but when I asked him about colon cancer spread to the liver he told me very firmly that he does not believe that's the problem.

The biopsy is Wednesday and I see the doctor again January 5, so I'll find out more then.

Karen
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member

Thank you
    Thank you for the reassurance, Kathy and Gail. I think the doctor is probably right too, but then I start to worry again--I've got to stop that!

The PET scan was in June, so about 6 months ago. The ultrasound was just a couple of weeks ago, ordered by my gastroenterologist. He says there is something wrong with my liver but he doesn't yet know for certain what it is, though he's ruled out quite a few possibilities with the labwork and scan. He says he believes it's probably a fatty liver, but he wants the needle biopsy of the liver. It felt as if he wasn't telling me everything he's thinking, but when I asked him about colon cancer spread to the liver he told me very firmly that he does not believe that's the problem.

The biopsy is Wednesday and I see the doctor again January 5, so I'll find out more then.

Karen

Hi karen
    I had the same problems whilst on chemo. The scan technicians always described it as fatty liver but my surgeon said in his opinnion it was more likely chemically induced hepatitis. My gp agreed . I know when I was on chemo my cholesterol levels fell to below normal,and i commented that they should use it as an anti chol drug,he just said ,mate your liver is barely functioning . Don't expect it to produce any cholesterol or even do its job very well. Ron.