How many Carbos can you have?

Options
clynn13
clynn13 Member Posts: 21
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi, I have had two carbo treatments in the past 3 years( 1st 6 then additional 10). I asked my dr. when the taxol/avastin no longer works(its is at this time) what is next? He suggested the normal stuff which I have not done, and then I added can we do carbo again? He said I would have to wait 1 1/2 years since I have done it last, then we can use it again? Is THIS right? I have never heard of a person using it 3 times in a bit over 4 years? What gives? It did work for me before, yet the low blood counts seem to make it a a lower dose and then my numbers go up again. Help me with this, please. If my doctor is telling me something that is not true, Iam leaving this hospital. Thanks gals, clynn

Comments

• lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    There is something called PFI (platinum free interval)
    I read all the research that comes out, since I am analytical (i.e., nosy!) and research-oriented by nature, and often come across clinical trials that look at PFI (Platinum Free Interval) where the effectiveness of various chemos used in conjunction with carboplatin is measured. One of the things that vastly enhances the effectiveness of carbo is to use other non-platinum drugs for as long as you can between carbo protocols. Apparently if you stretch out the interval between using any platinum drugs a long time, if you were still platinum-sensitive the last time you had carbo, it will likely be effective for you again. I know my oncologist was trying hard to stretch my PFI (platinum free interval) to 24 months to give me my best shot with carboplatin again. I made it 19 months PFI by taking dense-dose taxol as 2nd line chemo and doxil as 3rd line to try and prolong PFI. But when Doxil stopped working we decided to try the carbo with the 19-month PFI. I've had one infusion of carbo so far (last week), and so far, so good.

That's why women with prolonged multi-year remissions can go right back to the carbo/taxol 'gold standard' and AGAIN have their best shot at achieving ANOTHER of those long remissions that carbo/taxol can make happen. Be happy that your body hasn't shown any platinum resistance yet!! Still hsving carbo as a 'fall-back' a couple years from now is wonderful. Just when you may need a 'big gun' chemo, your PFI may allow you to again have one of the most effective chemos out there. :D

(Here's an EXAMPLE of research into PFI for ovarian cancer: ) http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Doi=108592
  • clynn13
    clynn13 Member Posts: 21
    Options

There is something called PFI (platinum free interval)
    I read all the research that comes out, since I am analytical (i.e., nosy!) and research-oriented by nature, and often come across clinical trials that look at PFI (Platinum Free Interval) where the effectiveness of various chemos used in conjunction with carboplatin is measured. One of the things that vastly enhances the effectiveness of carbo is to use other non-platinum drugs for as long as you can between carbo protocols. Apparently if you stretch out the interval between using any platinum drugs a long time, if you were still platinum-sensitive the last time you had carbo, it will likely be effective for you again. I know my oncologist was trying hard to stretch my PFI (platinum free interval) to 24 months to give me my best shot with carboplatin again. I made it 19 months PFI by taking dense-dose taxol as 2nd line chemo and doxil as 3rd line to try and prolong PFI. But when Doxil stopped working we decided to try the carbo with the 19-month PFI. I've had one infusion of carbo so far (last week), and so far, so good.

That's why women with prolonged multi-year remissions can go right back to the carbo/taxol 'gold standard' and AGAIN have their best shot at achieving ANOTHER of those long remissions that carbo/taxol can make happen. Be happy that your body hasn't shown any platinum resistance yet!! Still hsving carbo as a 'fall-back' a couple years from now is wonderful. Just when you may need a 'big gun' chemo, your PFI may allow you to again have one of the most effective chemos out there. :D

(Here's an EXAMPLE of research into PFI for ovarian cancer: ) http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Doi=108592

thats good to hear
    Thanks linda, it makes it easier to understand. I just thought if it was used once, or even twice you are done with it. Iam on the dose dense also. Heres to good response. Yhanks again. clynn
  • Mum2bellaandwilliam
    Options
    clynn13 said:

thats good to hear
    Thanks linda, it makes it easier to understand. I just thought if it was used once, or even twice you are done with it. Iam on the dose dense also. Heres to good response. Yhanks again. clynn

Didn't know that.
    Thanks Linda that was really interesting! It's amazing what you can learn oh here! X