Options
2»

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    cavediver said:

If we have to wear a sleeve,
    If we have to wear a sleeve, I think we should be able to have it attractive and comfortable...in addition to doing its job! Good luck with the DIVA look!

My sleeves and gloves are
    My sleeves and gloves are from Juzo, are custom and quite comfortable. By my choice, they are the tan color - I don't want to draw attention to them by loud colors. They do have the silicon cuff on the top as it is more comfortable and stays in place so much better than without. Wearing a sleeve without a glove is not an option for me.
  • Rague
    Options

Medi and Juzo
    I will loo up Diva too.
    I think if your machine starts from hand you probably should do your trunk first manually.
    Wishing you luck with pump

My 'Guy' is getting me my
    My 'Guy' is getting me my machine because of the edema issues in body and chest - not the issues in hand and arm. So simply starting in the fingers and moving up the arm is not the answer for me (nor is it how my massages are done). Chest/body area needs to massaged first to 'make room for' (not the word he uses but the concept) so that there is room for the arm to drain to them. To just move hand/arm up to body/chest area would only make it worse there without assistance to move it from there.
  • friskevision
    friskevision Member Posts: 4
    Options
    cavediver said:

process is to massage (wake
    process is to massage (wake up) lymph nodes manually in neck etc......... my machine came with a vest and arm........so it moves fluid from the hand up the arm and across trunk....

Electronic Compression sleeves question
    Hi Cavediver. I found this page while searching for lymphadema compression machines. Long story short, my girlfriend had Melanoma, had a toe removed and lymph nodes in her right leg. She is dealing with a lot of Lymph pain. So I'm looking at getting her a compression system. We've tried doing the manual wrapping of her leg and that helps, but I feel this may be a better solution.

Anyway, I was wondering if you could recommend a brand/vendor?
    I looked on ebay and found this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280675319015&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

I guess this goes to everyone who posted here. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks all!

Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!
    Bobby
  • Rague
    Options

Hi Cavediver. I found this page while searching for lymphadema compression machines. Long story short, my girlfriend had Melanoma, had a toe removed and lymph nodes in her right leg. She is dealing with a lot of Lymph pain. So I'm looking at getting her a compression system. We've tried doing the manual wrapping of her leg and that helps, but I feel this may be a better solution.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280675319015&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

I guess this goes to everyone who posted here. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks all!

Bobby

Flexi-Touch
    My MLD (Manual Lymphedema Drainage) machine is a Flexi Touch. ( www.flexitouch.com )
    I've had mine since early Jan. 2011 and I love it. I can't tell you anything about any of the other brands as I've never seen/used them. My Lymphedemologist says that the Flexitouch is the only one he will order for anyone. Mine has 3 parts to the massage garments as there is an arm section, a shoulder/chest/torso section and upper leg/abdomin section. (They aren't cheap - I don't know what they cost as VA got mine for me.)

I have quite a bit of issues with lymphedema and am basically never without either day or night garments on but the MLD defintally helps. It takes an hour for it to run the cycle. Because my issues are in arem the first 6 minutes are the lower body/upper leg compression to clear those lymph, then goes to the torso/chest/shoulder for 6 minutes, upper arm, lower arm and elbo and then hand an lower arm. Total 30 mins. Then as it starts at the fingergers and reverses the process ending at the leg and the cycle goes on for 30 minutes.

Does she have day and night garments? (There are differences in them and how they function.)Remember that not every one needs the came sompression. I have quite a bit of edema but heavy compresssion makes it worse so I have to go with light. Do you do manual drainage massage?

Again I can only tell you about my experiences and my machine and how it is helpful to me. What does her Lymphedemologist

Susan
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Options
    so happy
    I'm so glad to hear your excellent news - sounds like it was indeed a banner week for you!
    Hugs, Linda
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    Options

Bobby

to pump or not to pump...ah, that is the question........
    Bobby, the lymphedema therapist at the hospital where I went for therapy got my pump ordered for me and it was covered under my insurance. Mine is a LymphPress machine and with the arm,shoulder,chest garment the cost paid by insurance was just under $8,000
    There are quite a few brands out there and salesmen from any of the companies should have someone local to you to discuss there models with you and cost and if covered by insurance.
    The size (fit) of garment is important. At my lymph-support meetings many of the ladies have lower extremety lymphedema, and some had not good experience with certain brand pumps. One gal said it reduced swelling in her leg, but she ended up with a tire bulge in her middle. So, whe ended up finally with a brand that did the leg and stomach area and all is well now. A lot, unfortunately, will depend on what your insurance will cover....each brand has different models. If at all possible: go to a thereapist who uses a pump machine and that way you can see if she responds well to its use. Not everyone will respond well I am told. I was lucky and the pump has helped tremendously....still use compression garment & glove during daytime, but only wrap at night once in a blue moon. Good luck!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Rague said:

My sleeves and gloves are
    My sleeves and gloves are from Juzo, are custom and quite comfortable. By my choice, they are the tan color - I don't want to draw attention to them by loud colors. They do have the silicon cuff on the top as it is more comfortable and stays in place so much better than without. Wearing a sleeve without a glove is not an option for me.

Pump or not to pump
    I am not using pump, while in day and night garments all the time except shower. My therapist taught my husband a "partner massage" which is very helpful. He does it for me every night. Bobby, It could be an option while you do your research on pumps.
  • friskevision
    Options
    Rague said:

Flexi-Touch
    My MLD (Manual Lymphedema Drainage) machine is a Flexi Touch. ( www.flexitouch.com )
    I've had mine since early Jan. 2011 and I love it. I can't tell you anything about any of the other brands as I've never seen/used them. My Lymphedemologist says that the Flexitouch is the only one he will order for anyone. Mine has 3 parts to the massage garments as there is an arm section, a shoulder/chest/torso section and upper leg/abdomin section. (They aren't cheap - I don't know what they cost as VA got mine for me.)

I have quite a bit of issues with lymphedema and am basically never without either day or night garments on but the MLD defintally helps. It takes an hour for it to run the cycle. Because my issues are in arem the first 6 minutes are the lower body/upper leg compression to clear those lymph, then goes to the torso/chest/shoulder for 6 minutes, upper arm, lower arm and elbo and then hand an lower arm. Total 30 mins. Then as it starts at the fingergers and reverses the process ending at the leg and the cycle goes on for 30 minutes.

Does she have day and night garments? (There are differences in them and how they function.)Remember that not every one needs the came sompression. I have quite a bit of edema but heavy compresssion makes it worse so I have to go with light. Do you do manual drainage massage?

Again I can only tell you about my experiences and my machine and how it is helpful to me. What does her Lymphedemologist

Susan

Lympha pump cont'd
    Hi Susan,
    I just purchased the Bio Compression Sequential Circulator 3004 Lymphedema system for her. She doesn't have day and night garmets. She has used compression stockings to some success, but overall they've been very restrictive, she's quite active. So I was looking for something she could do at home.

We have been using the wrap method of rolled cotton and the stretchy gauze bandages and that works too, but I'm hoping the Compression system will give her greater relief.

Yes, we do the manual drainage massage also. But she feels at times that it's a lot of effort on my part, it's not. So, I'm hoping this will kill a few birds with one stone.

Thanks again!
    Bobby
  • friskevision
    Options
    Rague said:

Flexi-Touch

Susan

Lympha pump cont'd
    Hi Susan,
    I just purchased the Bio Compression Sequential Circulator 3004 Lymphedema system for her. She doesn't have day and night garmets. She has used compression stockings to some success, but overall they've been very restrictive, she's quite active. So I was looking for something she could do at home.

We have been using the wrap method of rolled cotton and the stretchy gauze bandages and that works too, but I'm hoping the Compression system will give her greater relief.

Yes, we do the manual drainage massage also. But she feels at times that it's a lot of effort on my part, it's not. So, I'm hoping this will kill a few birds with one stone.

Thanks again!
    Bobby
  • friskevision
    Options
    cavediver said:

to pump or not to pump...ah, that is the question........
    Bobby, the lymphedema therapist at the hospital where I went for therapy got my pump ordered for me and it was covered under my insurance. Mine is a LymphPress machine and with the arm,shoulder,chest garment the cost paid by insurance was just under $8,000
    There are quite a few brands out there and salesmen from any of the companies should have someone local to you to discuss there models with you and cost and if covered by insurance.
    The size (fit) of garment is important. At my lymph-support meetings many of the ladies have lower extremety lymphedema, and some had not good experience with certain brand pumps. One gal said it reduced swelling in her leg, but she ended up with a tire bulge in her middle. So, whe ended up finally with a brand that did the leg and stomach area and all is well now. A lot, unfortunately, will depend on what your insurance will cover....each brand has different models. If at all possible: go to a thereapist who uses a pump machine and that way you can see if she responds well to its use. Not everyone will respond well I am told. I was lucky and the pump has helped tremendously....still use compression garment & glove during daytime, but only wrap at night once in a blue moon. Good luck!

More info
    Hi Cavediver,
    As I told Susan above, I purchased the Bio Compression Sequential Circulator 3004 Lymphedema via eBay. Insurance with us is tricky because when she was on treatment she didn't have insurance and now that she's got a regular job they consider it pre-existing.

This is a bit of a semi-sorta-educated shot in the dark. She's wanted to try a pump for a while but was cost prohibitive. This one was barely used and fairly affordable considering what they go for brand new.

I figure if it doesn't work for her we can resell it on ebay and recoup some costs.
    I'm hoping the pump will help her as much as it's helped you!

Thanks again for your help! This forum has been a blessing!!
    Bobby