Postponing/ canceling chemo??

hopefulwhumor
hopefulwhumor Member Posts: 45
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My Onc finally sent me to see a Wound Doctor, my incision is not healing, and has been getting worse. Anyway, the new doc wants me to either cancel or postpone my last chemo treatment. I understand why, but wondering about the effects of not taking it... If I take it late, is it like starting over? If I have to cancel, what's the con's there? At least the two doctors are talking it over, I just haven't had a chance to find out the answers to my questions. I'm soo close to being done with treatment, I hate to not take it, but at the same time, I need to heal. VERY tired of the pain and not sleeping and all the rest that comes with it. Sorry, just very confused this morning..... Any opinions??

Hopeful

Comments

• roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    I'm sorry hopeful.
    I don't have an answer to your question. I think it is better answered by your oncologist. However it doesn't sound like you have a choice in the matter. If your wound is not healing that could be dangerous. Please give your oncologist a call today and ask for his opinion. Hugs.

Roseann
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Hopeful, I don't have an
    Hopeful, I don't have an answer for your either but wanted to send you some healing vibes. The BEST person to answer your questions is your oncologist and you. Hopefully, once you get the information you need and your questions answered you will able to make your decision. I really don't think they would recommend that you stop or postpone chemo if there was a chance it would interfere with the treatments you already had. Good luck on getting your answers and again, I'm sending you some healing vibes. Take care.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Hopeful, I don't have an
    Hopeful, I don't have an answer for your either but wanted to send you some healing vibes. The BEST person to answer your questions is your oncologist and you. Hopefully, once you get the information you need and your questions answered you will able to make your decision. I really don't think they would recommend that you stop or postpone chemo if there was a chance it would interfere with the treatments you already had. Good luck on getting your answers and again, I'm sending you some healing vibes. Take care.

I am not sure where you are
    I am not sure where you are in the process. what kind of chemo. I know Ihad the option of not doing my last taxol because of peripheral neuropathy. Sometimes some of this is frosting on the cake so to speak. but verbalize your fears to your onc. I had surgery in feb after finishing chemo in january and it took until this month to heal. cheme really interferes with healing.
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    My mother-in-law had to
    My mother-in-law had to postpone a chemo treatment due to an intestinal infection...she said the only issue was that it made the whole process take longer. And of course she was very happy to get rid of the intestinal infection.

And of course you want all this over...but the incision has to heal. Your doctor wouldn't recommend it, if it wasn't the right path for you.

I sure hope you get some peace, and the answers to your questions.

Hugs, and Merry Christmas,

Linda
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Hopeful
    I would think your onc would know how to answer your question about the last chemo treatment. I'm sorry your incision is not healing. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Hi Hopeful
    Sorry your going

Hi Hopeful
    Sorry your going thru all this. I had an infection at after my mastectomy and the wounds wouldnt heal...and they started to reopen and all that and i had to postpone my chemo but this was before i started chemo not during like yours...i just wanted to let ya know that i know kinda what your going thru. Me and my docs were very concerned about the late start with chemo but there was really nothing anyone could do about it, like you i had to heal first. but it doesnt mean that its easy...theres a million what ifs going thru your head, but your docs will let ya know the best route to take for you and your situation...just take a couple deep breaths while your playin the waiting game.
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    I'm Obviously NOT a doctor...
    but my understanding is that the chemo effects are cumulative over time. So...even if you have to postpone it for a little while, it's still doing its job. You won't have to "start over"! It's very common for cancer patience to occassionally postpone the next treatment because of low blood counts, infection, et. It happened to my father who has noncureable Esophageal cancer. They held off on one of his treatments for a couple of weeks because his blood counts were too low. After his body recovered, they started where they left off with his chemo rounds.

I'm sure your body is just beat to H*LL! It needs time to recover so it can fight the infection and have the strength and ability to heal your incision.

I know it's kinda of scary, but I'm sure you'll be fine! Hope this helped a little bit?!

Blessings,

Sally
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    roseann4 said:

I'm sorry hopeful.
    I don't have an answer to your question. I think it is better answered by your oncologist. However it doesn't sound like you have a choice in the matter. If your wound is not healing that could be dangerous. Please give your oncologist a call today and ask for his opinion. Hugs.

Roseann

I don't have an answer
    I don't have an answer either, but, wanted to send you a hug and let you know I will say a prayer for you.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

My mother-in-law had to
    My mother-in-law had to postpone a chemo treatment due to an intestinal infection...she said the only issue was that it made the whole process take longer. And of course she was very happy to get rid of the intestinal infection.

And of course you want all this over...but the incision has to heal. Your doctor wouldn't recommend it, if it wasn't the right path for you.

I sure hope you get some peace, and the answers to your questions.

Hugs, and Merry Christmas,

Linda

I wish I could give you some
    I wish I could give you some answers, but, I don't know anything about chemo.

I would think your incision should heal first though.

Good luck to you,

Susie
  • hopefulwhumor
    hopefulwhumor Member Posts: 45
    jo jo said:

Hi Hopeful
    Sorry your going

Hi Hopeful
    Sorry your going thru all this. I had an infection at after my mastectomy and the wounds wouldnt heal...and they started to reopen and all that and i had to postpone my chemo but this was before i started chemo not during like yours...i just wanted to let ya know that i know kinda what your going thru. Me and my docs were very concerned about the late start with chemo but there was really nothing anyone could do about it, like you i had to heal first. but it doesnt mean that its easy...theres a million what ifs going thru your head, but your docs will let ya know the best route to take for you and your situation...just take a couple deep breaths while your playin the waiting game.

Thank you everyone for the input!
    I did call my onc today and make an appointment, can't get in until next wed., which is the same day I go back to the new doc. (Just didn't have the energy to deal with it yesterday) But, maybe with seeing both doc's on the same day, I'll get some answers. Just gona' have to suck it up til then.
    Thank you everyone for the positive thoughts, prayers and vibes, I gladly expect them ALL!!!!

Hopeful
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Thank you everyone for the input!
    I did call my onc today and make an appointment, can't get in until next wed., which is the same day I go back to the new doc. (Just didn't have the energy to deal with it yesterday) But, maybe with seeing both doc's on the same day, I'll get some answers. Just gona' have to suck it up til then.
    Thank you everyone for the positive thoughts, prayers and vibes, I gladly expect them ALL!!!!

Hopeful

Sending you even more hugs,
    Sending you even more hugs, positive thoughts and prayers Hopeful!

Hugs, Diane