missed doses of Femara

4lovemeknot
4lovemeknot Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
can anybody knows here the odd of getting the cancer back if you missed the doses of your medication for two weeks. I was out of town for two weeks and I lost the bottle of my medication (femara) and I just refill my med after I came back. This is my 4years taking the med I should be off on Femara by September of 2011. can anybody have the answer to my question?

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    I dont know but I dont think
    I dont know but I dont think it would cause too much trouble.
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Femera
    I went off femera for two months on my own because of side effects. I think you'll be fine since you've been on it for 4 years.

marge
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    I highly doubt it
    I highly doubt it. If cancer grows that fast, then we all are in trouble. You are slightly more than 4 years on Femara. I started Arimidex on March 18, 2010. I am off it for 2 months to see if it is the cause to my problems. My hematology oncologist said that I shouldn't worry about the cancer growing in this time frame. Maybe it depends on the what stage we were diagnosed.

Call your doctor if you are concerned and need peace of mind.

Hugs,
    Janelle
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member

I highly doubt it
    I highly doubt it. If cancer grows that fast, then we all are in trouble. You are slightly more than 4 years on Femara. I started Arimidex on March 18, 2010. I am off it for 2 months to see if it is the cause to my problems. My hematology oncologist said that I shouldn't worry about the cancer growing in this time frame. Maybe it depends on the what stage we were diagnosed.

Call your doctor if you are concerned and need peace of mind.

Hugs,
    Janelle

I agree with Janelle, it's
    I agree with Janelle, it's fine. I had to stop all three A1's due to side effects at one time or another and each time my oncologist said "Don't worry about stopping for a while", Nothing will happen so I wasn't scared.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I agree with Janelle, it's
    I agree with Janelle, it's fine. I had to stop all three A1's due to side effects at one time or another and each time my oncologist said "Don't worry about stopping for a while", Nothing will happen so I wasn't scared.
    Hugs,
    Wanda

I know my onc said tamoxifen
    I know my onc said tamoxifen has a long half life meaning it takes a while to get ut of your system. So he said not to worry if I go away and miss a few doses because I forgot my medicine.
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Femara
    Dear 4lovemeknot,

I went on Femara after progression on Faslodex for my widespread pulmonary and pleural metastasis. I had a great response to this drug. I still have tumors in the lungs & pleura but they are stable. I did take a 7 week mini vacation off the drug last January. I needed to learn what was Femara pain and what was the pain for my PTTD in my foot. After 3 weeks, the severe Femara pain went away. I remain off of it for 4 more weeks. Then I rebooted Femara giving myself another 7 weeks back on the drug before scanning. The pain returned 24 days after starting the drug.

The tumors showed a slight increase and the next scan (6 months later) they were back to where they were before the vacation.

Seven years ago, I was on Arimidex (in remission from bone involvement) and fell. I developed three vertebrae compression fracture. I gave myself 6 weeks off the drug to allow my body to heal. I didn't develop more metastasis until 3 years ago.

I would say you are very, very safe. I hope this relieves your mind.

Best,

SIROD
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    SIROD said:

Femara
    Dear 4lovemeknot,

I went on Femara after progression on Faslodex for my widespread pulmonary and pleural metastasis. I had a great response to this drug. I still have tumors in the lungs & pleura but they are stable. I did take a 7 week mini vacation off the drug last January. I needed to learn what was Femara pain and what was the pain for my PTTD in my foot. After 3 weeks, the severe Femara pain went away. I remain off of it for 4 more weeks. Then I rebooted Femara giving myself another 7 weeks back on the drug before scanning. The pain returned 24 days after starting the drug.

The tumors showed a slight increase and the next scan (6 months later) they were back to where they were before the vacation.

Seven years ago, I was on Arimidex (in remission from bone involvement) and fell. I developed three vertebrae compression fracture. I gave myself 6 weeks off the drug to allow my body to heal. I didn't develop more metastasis until 3 years ago.

I would say you are very, very safe. I hope this relieves your mind.

Best,

SIROD

Femara/Arimidex stays in blood for 10 days
    Usually to get to the constant level takes from 7 to 14 days. To completely remove takes around 10 days. You can check Femara website.
    Do not worry too much.if you are still not sure call your doctor.
    Good luck