Almost Lost My Husband Today

Options
skipper85
skipper85 Member Posts: 229
edited March 2014 in Caregivers #1
Every day with cancer is an adventure.

Found out the latest CT scan showed cancer popping up in various places in his abdomen, neck of his pancreas, chest wall and there were more lung nodules. All these were small. That was the good part of the doctor visit.

Today my husband was supposed to start his Erbitux treatments. Unfortunately he had an anaphylactic reaction to it. He couldn't breathe, his blood pressure dropped to 60/40, he was very weak and he was covered with hives. The doctor said that was the worst reaction to the Erbitux he's every witnessed. They got everything under control at the doctor's office but the doctor said it was a close one. He sent my husband by EMS to the hospital for a few hours for observation. Just brought him home and he went out with his truck for about 45 minutes. I guess he had to digest what happened to him. I didn't want him to go out especially by himself considering what he had just been through but he's not the kind of person who listens to logic or me.

New appointment Wednesday with onc to see how my hubby is doing and to discuss other options.

Thanks for all your support and prayers in past posts. They mean more than you know. Today I was reminded of the day my husband was diagnosed and in one instant everything changed. You just never know what's around the bend. Live for today and hope for tomorrow.

Skipper

Comments

• Pennymac02
    Pennymac02 Member Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    How scary!
    Skipper,
    I can't imagine how scary this was for you both. I'm glad the doctor was right there and was able to control the allergic reaction.

One of my favorite books says "Everything we know is subject to change, including our knowledge of the truth." Today my truth is that my husband has had two relatively good days in a row. Tomorrow, Who knows? It reminds me to take everything day by day.

You're right, Live for today, hope for tomorrow.
    Penny
  • karenbeth
    karenbeth Member Posts: 194
    Options
    scary
    good luck to you both--hope the onc offers something hopeful. my partner has his mid-chemo scans tomorrow--I'm so anxious.
    "In one instance everything changed"--so true, and it keeps changing.

I saw you are from long island...me too...I grew up in Plainview (Nassau).

Karen
  • 1Teresa
    1Teresa Member Posts: 67
    Options
    karenbeth said:

scary
    good luck to you both--hope the onc offers something hopeful. my partner has his mid-chemo scans tomorrow--I'm so anxious.

Karen

this is just sick
    what an awful disease cancer is! I always have heard of cancer, but never have I been so close to it as I am now. And it seems everyday I read in here of someone dying from it. Thankfully yours hasnt! My mom has a colonoscopy coming up and Im not sure if the doctors think it is in her colon too. YUK YUK YUK!! I hate this horrible ride! Good Luck and I will be praying for you as well as everyone else here who helps others battle this nightmare!
  • skipper85
    skipper85 Member Posts: 229
    Options
    karenbeth said:

scary

Karen

Hi Karen

Good luck with your partner's scans. Waiting is so hard.

I grew up in Farmingdale and my husband grew up in Mineola. After we got married we moved to Massapequa then out to the East End. Now we live in NC where the weather is usually a whole lot nicer (no snow on the coast). Here it's a lot like LI was 25 years ago.

Hope everything turns out okay for your partner. I'm torn about my husband's visit - chemo vs quality of life. I really don't know what he will decide but I'll support any decision he makes. We've been married 40 years and I'm grateful I've had that much time with him.

Keep me posted.

Skipper
  • karenbeth
    karenbeth Member Posts: 194
    Options
    skipper85 said:

Hi Karen

Good luck with your partner's scans. Waiting is so hard.

I grew up in Farmingdale and my husband grew up in Mineola. After we got married we moved to Massapequa then out to the East End. Now we live in NC where the weather is usually a whole lot nicer (no snow on the coast). Here it's a lot like LI was 25 years ago.

Hope everything turns out okay for your partner. I'm torn about my husband's visit - chemo vs quality of life. I really don't know what he will decide but I'll support any decision he makes. We've been married 40 years and I'm grateful I've had that much time with him.

Keep me posted.

Skipper

massapequa
    I spent the first few years of my childhood in Massapequ :) I live in NYC now after over a decade in California. It's wierd when I go back to LI now--no family there, just some old friends.
    I hope your husband does well with the chemo (saw the other post). Mine had his scans today. I always tell him I'll support any decision he makes, but I'm finding that's easier said than done. I'm assuming there will be some sort of bend in the road coming soon with the results of the scans, and I'm going to try to keep it together.
    Good luck to you.