Need recommendation - Want to buy Digital Camera

Different Ballgame
Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I need to purchase a digital camera. What kind do you have and do you like it or would you recommend it? Be specific, such as brand, model #, mega pixels.

I want to be able to transfer photos to computer and to facebook. I also want to be able to print copies.

Mucho thanks,
Janelle

Comments

• Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi Janelle,
    I dont know much

Hi Janelle,
    I dont know much about mega pixels & all that mess but I think the Sony Cybershot and Koday Easyshare are 2 of the most user-friendly cameras. We've got both, although the Sony is an older model, it still works great after 8 or so years. The Kodak I got for my birthday right before my Doodie was born, and it takes great pics & is super easy to use & download pics.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    Want are going to use the

Want are going to use the camera for? And how much experience have you had with cameras?

My 11 year daughter has a Nikon Coolpix, , it is about 10 years old so it is only 3.1 mega pixels. It is easy to use and whole lot of fun. She has been using it for the last 4 years. However Nikon have come out with much better Coolpix cameras with at least 10 mega pixels and are overall much better. They have serveral depending on what you want to use the camera for. Here is the URL

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/en_US/list/parentCategoryID.43886700/categoryID.43886900/Currency.USD?resid=TQZkLAoBAlcAABKkQ8gAAAAV&rests=1292264492200

Personally I use a digital SRL, a Nikon DS 40x which is bottom of the range for Nikon digital SRLs. It has 12 mega pixels and interchangeable lenses. It is alright, I can do want I need to with it most of hte time.

I have stuck with Nikon only because my first camera 20 years ago was a Nikon and I have plenty of lenses for Nikon cameras. However Cannon is just as good and often cheaper but I don't know much about them.

All digital cameras should come with a way of downloading your photos to the computer. Putting them up on facebook might require software to reduce the size of the image or convert it to a jpeg format. Many cameras offer the option to shoot in jpeg format. Printing copies again depends on the software and/or the printer. Some printers you can connect your camera directly to it and print bypassing the computer.

A note about megapixels, these only really matter if you are printing large copies, that is, larger than 8 x 10. So if you plan to printer larger than 8 x 10, then go for the maximum number of megapixels possible otherwise anywhere from 3 mega pixels and above is fine.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I stumbled on to mine....
    Of all things, I needed a 'point-and-shoot'. AND, I had run thru 3 Cannons...all lost their LCD's...MAJOR expense to fix them....

I was looking at K-Mart (of all places) and found a sale on a GE. Yes, I know, not even rated with anyone....I LOVE it!!!! It even does panoramic photos!!! And movies!!! And a special 'museum' setting when taking pics thru glass. At a price around $70, all of us have them....me, my beau, and my daughter...we all love them!!!

Mine is a GE 12.2 megapixel camera, model A1255. I think it is 5x optical zoom. Uses an SD card, I have a 4GB...also used regular AA batteries (I use the rechargables, but carry a spare set of 'regular' one in my bag....

WONDERFUL camera, IMHO!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    We bought a Canon PowerShot
    We bought a Canon PowerShot A480 last Christmas at Wal-mart for $110. It can also take short videos. The only problem I've had is focusing. To focus you are suppose to press the button only part way down and then take the shot but I have Parkinson's and find it difficult to do this. I shake and the button goes all the way sometimes. So I sometimes get out of focus pictures. I thought it was just me but my DH has trouble from time to time also. I do like it otherwise and the pictures I've taken on my Expressions page (all since Dec 11 2009 anyway) are from this camera. It is easy to load onto the computer. I get a little confused with the controls on it but haven't bothered reading the instructions. I just take the pictures and move them right to the computer and delete on it if I have bad ones. I think the controls are pretty standard so I just blame myself.
  • gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    digital camera
    I just bought a Nikon S8100. The cost was $100 more than I intended to pay but I love it and next year I won't even think about the money I spent. Just hurts when you have to pay. It was at Costco for $229. I had bought a Kodak easy share around $100 and when I went into Costco the man at the camera dept. steered me to the Nikon. So I returned the Kodak. It has 12.1pixels and 10 zoom. He said it had a new lens and new kind of chip in it. My other good camera is a Kodak not sure of the number but it is so big. The new one fits in my pocket or purse and that is one thing I was looking for. Any more with all the new tech out there ... you can hardly ever go wrong. Sorry I took up so much space. Hope you find a good one. Ask where you are buying and they can help.

Good Luck to You,
    Diana
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Wally World
    I bought a great little camera at Wally World just before I started treatment. It's the one Ashton Kutcher does adds for. I love it!! I think I paid about 120.00, and it does everything you mentioned and more. The camera guy at Wally World helped me, and I am very happy. It's so easy to use..Good Luck...alison
  • rainbow4
    rainbow4 Member Posts: 137
    One thing in particular to check on
    I have a 2-3 year old point-and-shoot Olympus FE340, 8 megapixel, which I love. HOWEVER, it uses an x-D memory card (most digitals use s-D) and they are phasing out the x-D cards. I haven't found any store where you can buy one; they are available a few places online. Some cameras requiring the x-D can be adapted to use s-D, I've been told - for a price, of course. Bottom line, as far as I'm concerned, don't buy one that requires x-D card.
    -rainbow4
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Hi Janelle,
    I dont know much

Hi Janelle,
    I dont know much about mega pixels & all that mess but I think the Sony Cybershot and Koday Easyshare are 2 of the most user-friendly cameras. We've got both, although the Sony is an older model, it still works great after 8 or so years. The Kodak I got for my birthday right before my Doodie was born, and it takes great pics & is super easy to use & download pics.
    *hugs*
    Heather

I've got a Canon
    I've got a Canon Sureshot/Prima and we love it. It can do anything, but, is easy to use if you only want the basics, like we do.
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Our first digital was a
    Our first digital was a pentax Optio 60, 6MP, 3x zoom. It was a good starter but goes through the batteries like crazy even the rechargeable ones. That's one huge annoyance with it. Since I'm the camera buff I gave that one to my husband. It's small and fits in a pocket and easy to handle but I'd never get another one due to the battery issue. I've always had my eye on the more expensive SLR's but had to suffice with a Sony DSC-H50 Cybershot. 9.1MP, 15x optical zoom, 3" tilting LCD monitor, lots of manual options but also able to point and shoot as well. It comes with accessories for downloading pictures and although it's not a pocket model, I'm pretty happy with it. Love the rechargeable batteries and got an extra one (they are expensive) but they last quite awhile. I'm happy with it but you probably can get a cheaper camera that will do just as good of a job, I just wanted to be sure I got a good lense (Carl Zeiss). Good luck to you, there are so many out there and they're getting better and better each year.
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398

Our first digital was a
    Our first digital was a pentax Optio 60, 6MP, 3x zoom. It was a good starter but goes through the batteries like crazy even the rechargeable ones. That's one huge annoyance with it. Since I'm the camera buff I gave that one to my husband. It's small and fits in a pocket and easy to handle but I'd never get another one due to the battery issue. I've always had my eye on the more expensive SLR's but had to suffice with a Sony DSC-H50 Cybershot. 9.1MP, 15x optical zoom, 3" tilting LCD monitor, lots of manual options but also able to point and shoot as well. It comes with accessories for downloading pictures and although it's not a pocket model, I'm pretty happy with it. Love the rechargeable batteries and got an extra one (they are expensive) but they last quite awhile. I'm happy with it but you probably can get a cheaper camera that will do just as good of a job, I just wanted to be sure I got a good lense (Carl Zeiss). Good luck to you, there are so many out there and they're getting better and better each year.

Nikon
    I had a bigger one lense model and could not get over the action shots that this camera took. I was into skating so jumping and spinning and had never seen pictures taken by regular Joe's who looked like this.
    It also did well with filming though used it little. I sure hope the person who took it is enjoying it because I sure am not. I always can hope that is not the case and it was just lost...
    Tara
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    24242 said:

Nikon
    I had a bigger one lense model and could not get over the action shots that this camera took. I was into skating so jumping and spinning and had never seen pictures taken by regular Joe's who looked like this.
    It also did well with filming though used it little. I sure hope the person who took it is enjoying it because I sure am not. I always can hope that is not the case and it was just lost...
    Tara

You can't miss with a Canon or a Nikon
    They are always top rated by the Consumer reports. I use Canon, but have the expensive 50D model. Our first was a Kodak which took nice shots. Good luck! and have fun! Watch out it's addictive!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Janelle
    I've had a Canon Power Shot Elph for many years. My current one had 7 pixels. We bought one for my daughter for Christmas that has 10 pixels - Canon SD 1400 for $200. This is also an Elph so small and easy to handle.
    Char
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member

Our first digital was a

We've got a Canon sureshot
    We've got a Canon sureshot and really like it. It can zoom in, zoom out, take closeups, do night shots and lots more. It was around $150 to $200. I just can't remember.

Canon always has good cameras, so, you can't go wrong with that brand.

Noel
  • momofbcb
    momofbcb Member Posts: 22
    It depends on what you are
    It depends on what you are using it for. My first camera was a Sony digital, not an slr. I soon grew out of it. Recently bought a Cannon T2i. I love it. I now have 4 cameras and my cannon is the only one I use. But I am a photography buff, amature. You might be happy with a point and shoot. Depends on how crazy you want to get with our photos.