Need Good Appetizer Recipe

Different Ballgame
Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am an excellent cook and baker but appetizers are not my specialty. I have to bring appetizers on 2 different days. One party is this week and the other party is Christmas Eve. Do you have a good one to share with me so I can maintain my reputation.

Hugs,
Janelle

Comments

• Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    The ladies here gave me some
    The ladies here gave me some excellent recipies. I will bump for you.

Cindy
  • cookie97
    cookie97 Member Posts: 200
    Over a hot charcoal fire,
    Over a hot charcoal fire, grill thick slices of Italian bread. When toasted on both sides, rub the bruschetta with a cut clove of fresh garlic, drizzle on extra-virgin olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt or Kosher salt and serve. When tomatoes are in season, you can finely chop them with fresh, torn basil leaves, olive oil, salt and pepper and use them to top the grilled garlic bread. You can also grill the bread on a gas grill or toast it in the oven or under the broiler, but the flavor over charcoal is the best. You can add diced onions and black olives as well.

Although bruschetta is best as a first course served simply with Italian olives and wine, you can definitely make a meal out of it as they often do in Tuscany. Try it as a light lunch or supper with a glass of red wine and a simple salad.

Asparagus Wrapped in Prosciutto
    Spread a thin slice of prosciutto with herb cream cheese or boursin cheese and wrap around an al dente stalk of asparagus.

Hope this helps. Both very easy and they travel well.
    Peace and Love,
    Edie
  • Cindy Bear
    Cindy Bear Member Posts: 569
    food
    Hey there. Well there's always the old standby of meatballs, cranberry sauce and chili sauce. Just thaw frozen meatballs, mix sauces, heat on stovetop.. can also do in crockpot. Or celery or Jalapenos (can used whole jarred ones) cut, seeded and stuffed with cream cheese or Peanut butter.
    A friend brought a really good onion and cheese dip to a party last year. I'm going to copy and paste for you. I haven't made this yet, but I tried her and it was fabulous..
    Hot Onion Dip

2 cups, thinly sliced vidalia or sweet onions
    2 cups shredded jarlsberg cheese (usually 1 wedge)
    2 cups lite mayonnaise

1. Combine all ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.
    2. Spray an 11"x7" pan with cooking spray.
    3. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes
    4. Serve with hearty crackers

Cook's Note: If you are using jarlsberg cheese you will need to buy a wedge at your deli and shred it yourself (it usually doesn't come pre-shredded)** I found this shredded in deli no problem.
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    Baked Brie in Puff Pastry
    Ingredients
    1/2 (17.5 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
    1 (8 ounce) wheel Brie cheese
    1/4 cup sliced almonds
    Apricot Jam (this I add)

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degree C).
    Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan.
    Slice the wheel of Brie in half, horizontally, so that the halves are two, flatter wheels of Brie.
    Lay the puff pastry in the pie pan.
    Place half of the Brie (rind-side down) onto the pastry dough.
    (I spread the Apricot Jam liberally over the the top of the brie before putting ther Almonds on)
    Sprinkle almonds evenly over the top.
    Place the other half of the Brie (rind-side up) over the almonds.
    Bundle the pastry dough around the Brie.
    Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
    Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.

It is really yummy!

Have fun.
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    This was a huge hit at a
    This was a huge hit at a holiday party this weekend.

Wrap a piece of bacon around a small piece of pepperjack cheese and a raw shrimp. Secure with a wooden skewer or toothpick. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. They flew off the platter when we served them. (and the smell is great as they bake)

Chickadee
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394

This was a huge hit at a
    This was a huge hit at a holiday party this weekend.

Wrap a piece of bacon around a small piece of pepperjack cheese and a raw shrimp. Secure with a wooden skewer or toothpick. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. They flew off the platter when we served them. (and the smell is great as they bake)

Chickadee

Bump Bump
    These sound so good, and I am not a cook, so I'm gonna bump this one again for my husband. Thank you for the opportunity...Hug to all Alison
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    cookie97 said:

Over a hot charcoal fire,
    Over a hot charcoal fire, grill thick slices of Italian bread. When toasted on both sides, rub the bruschetta with a cut clove of fresh garlic, drizzle on extra-virgin olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt or Kosher salt and serve. When tomatoes are in season, you can finely chop them with fresh, torn basil leaves, olive oil, salt and pepper and use them to top the grilled garlic bread. You can also grill the bread on a gas grill or toast it in the oven or under the broiler, but the flavor over charcoal is the best. You can add diced onions and black olives as well.

Although bruschetta is best as a first course served simply with Italian olives and wine, you can definitely make a meal out of it as they often do in Tuscany. Try it as a light lunch or supper with a glass of red wine and a simple salad.

Asparagus Wrapped in Prosciutto
    Spread a thin slice of prosciutto with herb cream cheese or boursin cheese and wrap around an al dente stalk of asparagus.

Hope this helps. Both very easy and they travel well.
    Peace and Love,
    Edie

I am making this Edie for
    I am making this Edie for Christmas Eve! Yum! Thanks!