Having catheter put in this week

kperdue70
kperdue70 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone! I'm almost finished with my taxol and will be starting FAC on Dec 24th. I'm scheduled to get the catheter this Wed. I was just wondering if it's really as much of a pain in the butt as I've heard. I've elected to do catheter b/c as it turned out in my echogram, I have slow blood flow. My oncologist said b/c of that I would run a higher risk of heart attack with the port. Any suggestions, advice? did anyone get an infection?
Thanks for reading:)
~Kristin

Comments

• jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Hi Kristin nice to meet
    Hi Kristin nice to meet you.
    I didnt have a catheter, i had a port so i dont know anything about it...just wanted to say welcome to the board yet sorry you have to be here.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    jo jo said:

Hi Kristin nice to meet
    I didnt have a catheter, i had a port so i dont know anything about it...just wanted to say welcome to the board yet sorry you have to be here.

Kristin .. Welcome to our 'Family' of Warriors - Sisters
    in PINK. I've never hear of a catheter - however, I am sure someone here will pipe in with some sort of information or http site for you. Do you have heart issues = already?

Please let us know what type of breast cancer, stage and chemo therapy you will be having ..and we can support and offer help in those arena's.

Strength and Courage.

Vicki Sam
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi Kristin,
    Sorry, I had a

Hi Kristin,
    Sorry, I had a port, but I just wanted to chime in & welcome you with a "hello". Stinks you have chemo on Christmas Eve but I hope it will be an easy one on you so that you can enjoy your holiday :)
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    VickiSam said:

in PINK. I've never hear of a catheter - however, I am sure someone here will pipe in with some sort of information or http site for you. Do you have heart issues = already?

Please let us know what type of breast cancer, stage and chemo therapy you will be having ..and we can support and offer help in those arena's.

Strength and Courage.

Vicki Sam

not sure what you mean
    not sure what you mean either. i just did IV's got dicey at the end though!
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Kristin,
    Sorry I don't have any idea what this is either. Hopefully, one of the wonderful pink sisters or brothers here will be able to help you. Hang in there. Hugs, Jean
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    PICC Line?
    Are you referring to a PICC Line (Perepherally Inserted Centeral Catheter)? If you are there are some here who have used them. I didn't - just my port.

Many years ago, a friend of mine did have a PICC and if I remember it was a pain in the butt' to maintain it safely.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Hi Kristin
    I'm sorry but I had a port also. Just finished chemo and port will be removed in January.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • kperdue70
    kperdue70 Member Posts: 4
    VickiSam said:

Strength and Courage.

Vicki Sam

I have Stage 2B
    thanks for the warm welcome ladies:) I have stage 2b with 3 lymph nodes involved so far. I also have est/prog pos with her2 negative non metastatic. I was given the choice of port or subclavical catheter. I've never had any heart prob. have been healthy all my life (until now!) my echogram showed that my blood pumps slower than normal so my oncol said it would be less stressful on the heart if i did a catheter. She said most ppl do port b/c it's easier and you don't have to carry a bag with you etc. on the other hand the catheter has less side effects ( nausea) and there's no surgery to put it in. If it weren't for the heart thing I'd go with the port but better safe than sorry! I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this. It will be in the same area the ports usually are (clavical)

have a nice night!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Hi Kristin
    I'm sorry but I had a port also. Just finished chemo and port will be removed in January.
    {{hugs}} Char

no a picc usually goes in
    no a picc usually goes in the arm, I think she is having a central line placed. anyway welcome, sorry you have to be here but glad you found us.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    jo jo said:

Hi Kristin nice to meet

I didn't have this done
    I didn't have this done either Kristin, but, want to wish you good luck.

Hugs, Diane
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    carkris said:

no a picc usually goes in
    no a picc usually goes in the arm, I think she is having a central line placed. anyway welcome, sorry you have to be here but glad you found us.

Yes, a PICC line does
    Yes, a PICC line does usually go in the arm but I was replying to the original post (3 hrs before the post that stated the location she was getting) which only said that she was getting a "catheter".
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Kristin,
    Sorry I don't have any idea what this is either. Hopefully, one of the wonderful pink sisters or brothers here will be able to help you. Hang in there. Hugs, Jean

I want to welcome you
    I want to welcome you Kristin to the best site for support and encouragement. With that said, I didn't have a catheter, but, hope you will do just fine.

Hugs, Kylez