Radiation

Options
2»

Comments

• Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

very little side effects
    I wish your daughter luck...I was very lucky with my treatments...no burning, dry skin, no fatigue, no pain or discomfort-just like any other day..and I am on taxmofin and very little issues with that as well..Keep us updated...

Wishing your daughter good
    Wishing your daughter good luck too. I had rads and I never burnt, but, got really dark pink and was tender, but, after a few weeks when finished, my skin looked great. Rads do kill any cancer cells left behind, so, I knew it was the right thing for me to do.

Hugs, Angie
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    momofbcb said:

Thanks Stef
    Thanks Stef. Thats why I posted here. To help me help her. I just feel so bad that she is sad. She goes to work and then goes home and goes to bed. She was suppose to move this weekend but has not packed. I offered help but every time I can go, she has something else to do or doesn't want to talk about it. When she was first diagnosed, the rest of us were devistated. She wasn't. She joking about it. Called her self bcb for breast cancer ****. No one could figure out why she wasn't a mess like the rest of us. Now we know her prognosis is great and she doesn't have to go through chemo. The rest of us were so happy, but she took to her bed. She started taking Xanex. I do understand the xanex. I just wish she could be happy again. I do understand, just sad for her. Not cause of the cancer but cause she is sad. She is college grad who hasn't found her dream job and now its on hold and she is in love and wants to find a great job, get married and have kids. Now she can't have kids for 5 years and I think that is what is upsetting her. Plus I am sure having scars on her once perfect body is also upsetting. I will be more patient with her and just lend her an ear and a shoulder.

Thanks again for your input.

Your daughter is so lucky
    Your daughter is so lucky that you're there for her, it really says alot about your love and care for her that you're posting your questions and concerns on here :) I can't imagine her being in her 20's and diagnosed. I was 34 at diagnosis and people were shocked at my younger age. Right after my diagnosis I was the same as your daughter, including having to take xanax. I was scared and depressed & just wanted to sleep. Once I got my plan of action, got surgery scheduled, and got informed of the type of cancer I had, I started doing better & got in a really good place mentally to fight this beast. I had a mastectomy & chemo, so I didn't need radiation (i was stage 2), but I did start Tamoxifen about 5 weeks ago. Side effect wise, it's not that bad, had terrible hot flashes at first but now they're less intense & less frequent. I can imagine the not having babies for 5 years is extremely upsetting, and maybe she's afraid she won't be able to have them at all. I think lending an ear & a shoulder as you're doing is probably the best thing you can do for her. My mom & I have always been really close, and I leaned on her alot in the beginning. 2 months after me, my mom was also diagnosed with breast cancer (we have no other family history) so now she's leaning on me as she finishes up her chemo & moves on to radiation next month.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • momofbcb
    momofbcb Member Posts: 22
    Options
    fauxma said:

I think you are doing great.
    I think you are doing great. The worst thing in the world for me is when something is wrong with my family. I hate standing by and feeling helpless. If this was my Denise I would be a basketcase. It's good she is taking xanax and it is not unusual for her to be feeling so down. She has a lot to absorb and it will take her time to realize that she can still have all the things she has been dreaming about. I worry about my daughter because I carry a gene that increases my chances of colon, stomach and several other cancers, some of which I have already had and she may carry this gene also. She needs to get tested but between having no insurance and denial it's not happening. I have taken a step back and am letting her deal with it in her own way. She will do it when she is ready. Does your daughter have any close friends that she can use for support? You might also tell her that we are here for her and that there is a young survivors group on here as well.
    And you keep coming here and let us know how it is going and how you are doing. Cancer affects everyone in a family and there will be times when you need to vent and share as well. You have the right idea in being patient and being there to lend her an ear and shoulder. You're a great mom who shouldn't have to be going through this either. Prayers for you both.
    Stef

daughters
    Thank you for your continued support. I pray for your daughter. I hope the insurance issue clears up for her and than she gets herself tested. I have four daughters and two neices. All but 2 got them selves tested for breast cancer after my youngest was diagnosed and she tested negative for the gene. One of them has no insurance but the Cancer Society directed her to a place that would test her for free. So far they all tested negative. Thank goodness. I have to nag the other 2 till they get it done. lol. My daughter does have lots of close friends and many sisters and cousins but the best person for her right now has been my Godson who recovered from hodgkins. They have become closer because of the cancers.
  • momofbcb
    momofbcb Member Posts: 22
    Options

Your daughter is so lucky
    Your daughter is so lucky that you're there for her, it really says alot about your love and care for her that you're posting your questions and concerns on here :) I can't imagine her being in her 20's and diagnosed. I was 34 at diagnosis and people were shocked at my younger age. Right after my diagnosis I was the same as your daughter, including having to take xanax. I was scared and depressed & just wanted to sleep. Once I got my plan of action, got surgery scheduled, and got informed of the type of cancer I had, I started doing better & got in a really good place mentally to fight this beast. I had a mastectomy & chemo, so I didn't need radiation (i was stage 2), but I did start Tamoxifen about 5 weeks ago. Side effect wise, it's not that bad, had terrible hot flashes at first but now they're less intense & less frequent. I can imagine the not having babies for 5 years is extremely upsetting, and maybe she's afraid she won't be able to have them at all. I think lending an ear & a shoulder as you're doing is probably the best thing you can do for her. My mom & I have always been really close, and I leaned on her alot in the beginning. 2 months after me, my mom was also diagnosed with breast cancer (we have no other family history) so now she's leaning on me as she finishes up her chemo & moves on to radiation next month.
    *hugs*
    Heather

Heather, I'm the lucky one
    Heather, I'm the lucky one and never realized it until the fear of loosing one of my girls. Then I realized I was very lucky to have them all. And I will fight to keep them all. You are right. She is scared of not ever being able to have children. Her sisters have kids and she just thought she would too some day. Now she is just really depressed.

I'm so sorry about your mom. That is really weird huh. Especially with no family history. I wish you both the very best.

mom
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    momofbcb said:

Thanks everyone for your
    Thanks everyone for your comments.

I am sending prayers and
    I am sending prayers and positive thoughts for your daughter, you and your family.

Hugs, Lex
  • TP123
    TP123 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    momofbcb said:

Heather, I'm the lucky one
    Heather, I'm the lucky one and never realized it until the fear of loosing one of my girls. Then I realized I was very lucky to have them all. And I will fight to keep them all. You are right. She is scared of not ever being able to have children. Her sisters have kids and she just thought she would too some day. Now she is just really depressed.

I'm so sorry about your mom. That is really weird huh. Especially with no family history. I wish you both the very best.

mom

just a thought
    If the depression continues, you might want to ask the dr. who gave her the xanax to prescribe an antidepressant. What concerns me is the work to bed and to work again. If an antidepressant is prescribed appropriately she will feel more focused, like looking through glasses that just got cleaned, not like a zombie. It can be very helpful. TP