Questions on some side effects

Options
jo jo
jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I dont know if its from the chemo or the tamoxifen but i still have a number of side effects and im really not sure where its coming from cuz ive been done with chemo since the end of April and started tamoxifen early May.
The severe cramping in my feet...to where it looks like my toes are deformed and you can literally see all the muscles, tendons contracting and tightening, and it is serverly painful.
When i sweat, which i do alot cuz of those darn hotflashes i still get that irritable tingling, itching feelig all over my body.
plus i have been getting welts bigger than the palm of my hand all over my body...they are welts not rashes. They show up out of no where and within a day or two they suddenly disappear.
In October i had my port removed and a few weeks ago one of the stitches popped thru my skin but it was still attached and it was catching on my cloths so i put a bandaide over it to keep it from rubbing...later it was itching really bad so i took the bandaide off and it was a perfect imprint of that bandaide where it literally looked like it eat thru my skin. It was just a normal bandaide for goodness sakes.

So what is going on with my skin and muscles and is this still normal to be going thru this and is anyone else still going thru this?

Comments

  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    I have some side affects
    I have some side affects from the tamoxifen ( hot flashes, itching, headaches, leg cramps ) I also had my port out in September and I am still very sore in the area. I also had a stitch come through, so I pulled it out. Ya I know, but it was bothering me and it did not hurt to get rid of it. Like I said I am still pretty sore and I do not know if this is normal or not. I see my surgeon at the end of this month so I thought I would have him take a look. It looks ok to me. It is also sore on the inside. I feel as if it's pulling on something. Strange, did not take this long going in.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Kat11 said:

    I have some side affects
    I have some side affects from the tamoxifen ( hot flashes, itching, headaches, leg cramps ) I also had my port out in September and I am still very sore in the area. I also had a stitch come through, so I pulled it out. Ya I know, but it was bothering me and it did not hurt to get rid of it. Like I said I am still pretty sore and I do not know if this is normal or not. I see my surgeon at the end of this month so I thought I would have him take a look. It looks ok to me. It is also sore on the inside. I feel as if it's pulling on something. Strange, did not take this long going in.

    Hi Kat
    With the port mine

    Hi Kat
    With the port mine was just the opposite, it took me forever to heal after they put it in and much quicker healing time from them taking it out even thou it was really bruised after it was removed. I know what you mean on that pulling feeling, i also had that after they put it in but i dont feel it anymore now that its out.
    Im glad your going to see your doc for that thou. keep us posted on the out come of it.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    suggestions
    I did not have expriences like yours, but my skin is more sensetive post-chemo (2 years). Bandaids, etc do seem to irritate more than before, turning my skin red and sore. I have also developed an allergy to dermabond (the adhesive they used after surgery instead of stitches) after chemo. I still have a tonenail that's thick and discolored, starting to look normal at the base.

    Here are my suggestions: a)Always ask your Dr. if you are not sure about anything. b)You can go to Chemocare.com to look up side effects of specific drugs.

    Hope you can get some relief soon. seof
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    seof said:

    suggestions
    I did not have expriences like yours, but my skin is more sensetive post-chemo (2 years). Bandaids, etc do seem to irritate more than before, turning my skin red and sore. I have also developed an allergy to dermabond (the adhesive they used after surgery instead of stitches) after chemo. I still have a tonenail that's thick and discolored, starting to look normal at the base.

    Here are my suggestions: a)Always ask your Dr. if you are not sure about anything. b)You can go to Chemocare.com to look up side effects of specific drugs.

    Hope you can get some relief soon. seof

    I also developed an allergy
    I also developed an allergy to the tape used after surgery's and durning chemo. I know longer can wear a bandage of anykind on my chest area or neck without my skin breaking down. I lost my toenail at the end of chemo last November and my finger nails turned black and blue. My toe nails are thick and my finger nail are still thin. I still have white lines on my finger nails, I am wondering if this is ever going to go away. My blood cells are a little low so I don't know if this is why. I have an appointment for the mammy and surgeons visit at the end of the month so will see what he has to say.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    JoJo
    I healed pretty fast from when my port was placed but I had a stitch that stuck out and it bothered me. Eventually it came out! I'm having the port removed next month and wonder if I'll have any complications like you did. My skin gets tender easily and I have been known to develop adverse reactions to things used in the OR. I don't know what pill I'll be on yet but hoping for no side effects. I already have neuropathy from my spine and foot and legs cramps are awful!
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    How's your K level?
    For the cramping, have you had your K (potassium) level checked? When I was on Taxol, I started running low K and got cramping in feet and legs. Started taking double doses of OTC K (on Dr's orders) and they went away. Have tried not taking the K several times since (well some of the times have actually that I forgot to LOL). When cramps would start, I'd remember to take it for a while and cramps would go away. My PA put me on high dose Rx K - as long as I'm good about remembering them I stay in the low range of normal and if i miss a day I can feel it quickly and get back on them. (A lot of sweating could be effecting your K levels.)

    Just a thought you might want to talk with your Drs about.

    Susan
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Rague said:

    How's your K level?
    For the cramping, have you had your K (potassium) level checked? When I was on Taxol, I started running low K and got cramping in feet and legs. Started taking double doses of OTC K (on Dr's orders) and they went away. Have tried not taking the K several times since (well some of the times have actually that I forgot to LOL). When cramps would start, I'd remember to take it for a while and cramps would go away. My PA put me on high dose Rx K - as long as I'm good about remembering them I stay in the low range of normal and if i miss a day I can feel it quickly and get back on them. (A lot of sweating could be effecting your K levels.)

    Just a thought you might want to talk with your Drs about.

    Susan

    Hey Susan thanks...i didnt
    Hey Susan thanks...i didnt know this but i will check it out...i do recall my onc testing me for it a long time ago.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    seof said:

    suggestions
    I did not have expriences like yours, but my skin is more sensetive post-chemo (2 years). Bandaids, etc do seem to irritate more than before, turning my skin red and sore. I have also developed an allergy to dermabond (the adhesive they used after surgery instead of stitches) after chemo. I still have a tonenail that's thick and discolored, starting to look normal at the base.

    Here are my suggestions: a)Always ask your Dr. if you are not sure about anything. b)You can go to Chemocare.com to look up side effects of specific drugs.

    Hope you can get some relief soon. seof

    Seof thanks this site really
    Seof thanks this site really helps.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

    Hey Susan thanks...i didnt
    Hey Susan thanks...i didnt know this but i will check it out...i do recall my onc testing me for it a long time ago.

    you need to check with your
    you need to check with your doctor as too much potssium can be lethal. but Sue is right and perhaps other levels are off as well and causing the cramping. I also have neuropathy and that causes me tightness and cramping in my feet. But my feet are numb too.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    carkris said:

    you need to check with your
    you need to check with your doctor as too much potssium can be lethal. but Sue is right and perhaps other levels are off as well and causing the cramping. I also have neuropathy and that causes me tightness and cramping in my feet. But my feet are numb too.

    Similar side effect
    I had similar side effect for about 10 months. Oh boy -tingling every part of my body when I sweat. My oncologist did not recommend anything except benedryll, sucks... Both Taxotere and Taxol give this type of side effect.
    As far as port goes I used ScarAway silicone strips and it did help me a lot. Try them you can buy on Amazon.
    Sorry for your health insurance situation, I can really feel for you.
    Wishing you feel better and complete recovery from your cold.
    Hugs,
    New flower
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

    Similar side effect
    I had similar side effect for about 10 months. Oh boy -tingling every part of my body when I sweat. My oncologist did not recommend anything except benedryll, sucks... Both Taxotere and Taxol give this type of side effect.
    As far as port goes I used ScarAway silicone strips and it did help me a lot. Try them you can buy on Amazon.
    Sorry for your health insurance situation, I can really feel for you.
    Wishing you feel better and complete recovery from your cold.
    Hugs,
    New flower

    oh yes I still get that
    oh yes I still get that tingly feeling with hot flashes, it was worse in the summer. I dont have welts though. I wonder if you have develped an allergy or insensitivity recently and it isnt connected to BC at all?
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Im thinkin when i get my
    Im thinkin when i get my health insurance again i need to just get another body overhaul done but its good to know some of this is still normal...whatever that means!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    jo jo said:

    Im thinkin when i get my
    Im thinkin when i get my health insurance again i need to just get another body overhaul done but its good to know some of this is still normal...whatever that means!

    I would not call
    I would not call it normal, however nobody tell us about it and my oncologist though I needed antidepressants because I had it "for such a long time"... It feels like it would never go away, but it will and surprised you .
    Cheers
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

    Hi Kat
    With the port mine

    Hi Kat
    With the port mine was just the opposite, it took me forever to heal after they put it in and much quicker healing time from them taking it out even thou it was really bruised after it was removed. I know what you mean on that pulling feeling, i also had that after they put it in but i dont feel it anymore now that its out.
    Im glad your going to see your doc for that thou. keep us posted on the out come of it.

    I don't know Jo Jo, as I
    I don't know Jo Jo, as I didn't have chemo. I just hope everything clears up for you.


    Hugs, Jan