Options
2»

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    24242 said:

Survival Rates
    Well I would have thought we all have been given the chances of survival but like all stats what do they truly mean when people are always proving them wrong.
    Todays world with emotional well being playing a huge roll in longevity. Having good support systems increases our survival rates as do various other things.
    And remember the survival rates for cancer have been on the rise and that is a very good thing...
    Tara

Moopy most people who make
    Moopy most people who make those comments have never had cancer themselves.
    My onc was kind of a bummer when I was diagnosed early stage in 1994 too.
    He just is mr. Scientific. We used to laugh and say like on dragnet"just the facts ma'm"
    He is known for this. I do my best to make him human, it is my life quest and we have developed this "interesting" relationship. he gets rather taken aback when I nail him with something.
    anyway, until they can tell me what side of the stats I fall on, why know? If you are given an option for chemo and want to know then I can see it. To make treatment decisions. I did not have an option. (Of course one can always say no) I havent been told to make arrangements yet so I would do nothing differently. I have had cancer three times, I know I have to live my life in a different way then someone who feels they have time. (although no one is guaranteed) I know I have to make healthy choices and keep up with the advances in this disease.Like this cancer is different so are all of us. I do belive in doing what speaks to you. while it may not keep the cancer away it can sure make your life better!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

May depend on what you mean by "prognosis"
    I realized pretty early on that everything my oncologist could tell me was just probability of this, probability of that -- so, like Sally and Renee, I asked for statistics, and he was very forthcoming with me once I asked. We discussed statistics of choosing different treatment paths, and, after completing treatment, I asked him to break down for me my statistics for recurrence.

Traci

My oncologist and rads
    My oncologist and rads oncologist have been very positive towards me, my treatments and my outcome. My oncologist did give me the stats as the others wrote, which I was pleased with. I don't think anyone has a crystal ball to tell us exactly what our prognosis will be. I wish someone could. Just live each day to the fullest, knowing you have done everything possible to kill the beast.

Sue :)
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    sea60 said:

Mine also gave me
    statistics and lot's of hope!!

Mine was like Sea60's. I
    Mine was like Sea60's. I was given stats and great hope!

Hugs, Megan
  • Findingout
    Findingout Member Posts: 132
    Options
    carkris said:

Moopy most people who make
    Moopy most people who make those comments have never had cancer themselves.
    My onc was kind of a bummer when I was diagnosed early stage in 1994 too.
    He just is mr. Scientific. We used to laugh and say like on dragnet"just the facts ma'm"
    He is known for this. I do my best to make him human, it is my life quest and we have developed this "interesting" relationship. he gets rather taken aback when I nail him with something.
    anyway, until they can tell me what side of the stats I fall on, why know? If you are given an option for chemo and want to know then I can see it. To make treatment decisions. I did not have an option. (Of course one can always say no) I havent been told to make arrangements yet so I would do nothing differently. I have had cancer three times, I know I have to live my life in a different way then someone who feels they have time. (although no one is guaranteed) I know I have to make healthy choices and keep up with the advances in this disease.Like this cancer is different so are all of us. I do belive in doing what speaks to you. while it may not keep the cancer away it can sure make your life better!

surgeon vs. oncologist - ?
    Okay, I'm reading all the posts and have a 'dumb' question. I was just diagnosed Monday (spindle cell carcinoma in my breast) and am scheduled to see a surgeon next week to find out more. This same person performed a lumpectomy (benign) on me 5 years ago, and I always thought of him as a "surgeon." Now it seems, from reading your posts, that there are surgeons, and there are oncologists. I have no idea what the difference is - ?? If my diagnosis was cancer, shouldn't I be seeing an oncologist next? I guess I'm just spinning with questions right now.
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    Weird question
    I didn't think my onc would give me a prognosis, so instead I told him I was thinking about getting a puppy, with a ten year life expectancy, and did he think that was a good idea. I cried when he told me to go ahead and get the puppy.

marge
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

"Highly Anxious"--Grrrr
    Hi, Penny, your post made me laugh. My local oncologist wrote the same about me. Following the appt during which he told me the cancer I had is "highly aggressive," he wrote: "Patient seems very anxious." !!!

OMG, on my report, my
    OMG, on my report, my oncologist wrote the same thing...anxious. What do they expect? lol