indianapolis support groups?

shaggy420
shaggy420 Member Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello i am looking for a support group here in Indianapolis in, can anyone tell me or help me out with this? I had breast cancer, then had surgery to have both breast removed and now waiting for my final surgery and now I really need a support group.

Brenda

Comments

• Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi Brenda,
    I'm in Indiana,

Hi Brenda,
    I'm in Indiana, too - South Bend. I just had my follow up appointment with my plastic surgeon yesterday after my final implant surgery - what a relief to have those tissue expanders out & soft boobs back in!
    I don't know of any support groups in your area, did you contact your local ACS to see of any?
    Here are some links I found:
    http://www.ecommunity.com/cancercare/index.aspx?pg=10549

you also might want to contact your local Susan G Komen office, they helped me out with getting medicaid assistance since I didn't have insurance when I was diagnosed.
    http://www.komenindy.org/

St. Vincent & St. Francis Hospitals also both have breast cancer support groups.
    Also, look up www.Indianacancer.com. You can search by region & hopefully find a group there.
    I'm also wanting to start going to a support group, with the holidays & me having my surgery I haven't been able to make it to a meeting yet but am hoping next month to do so.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • shaggy420
    shaggy420 Member Posts: 28

Hi Brenda,
    I'm in Indiana,

Hi Brenda,
    I'm in Indiana, too - South Bend. I just had my follow up appointment with my plastic surgeon yesterday after my final implant surgery - what a relief to have those tissue expanders out & soft boobs back in!
    I don't know of any support groups in your area, did you contact your local ACS to see of any?
    Here are some links I found:
    http://www.ecommunity.com/cancercare/index.aspx?pg=10549

you also might want to contact your local Susan G Komen office, they helped me out with getting medicaid assistance since I didn't have insurance when I was diagnosed.
    http://www.komenindy.org/

St. Vincent & St. Francis Hospitals also both have breast cancer support groups.
    Also, look up www.Indianacancer.com. You can search by region & hopefully find a group there.
    I'm also wanting to start going to a support group, with the holidays & me having my surgery I haven't been able to make it to a meeting yet but am hoping next month to do so.
    *hugs*
    Heather

Thanks for the info I will
    Thanks for the info I will have to check those things out. So have you had any trouble with the implants? I go in Feb for my final surgery.
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    shaggy420 said:

Thanks for the info I will have to check those things out. So have you had any trouble with the implants? I go in Feb for my final surgery.

Another Hoosier
    Hi Brenda ...

The suggestions Heather gave you sound like good ones. I'm in Bloomington.

Have you asked your surgeon, oncologist, for suggestions?

Good luck ... and stay warm .... buurrrrrrrr

hugs.
    teena
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    tgf said:

Another Hoosier
    Hi Brenda ...

The suggestions Heather gave you sound like good ones. I'm in Bloomington.

Have you asked your surgeon, oncologist, for suggestions?

Good luck ... and stay warm .... buurrrrrrrr

hugs.
    teena

Your oncologist nurse or
    Your oncologist nurse or social worker should be able to give you advise on support groups, most hospitals have them. I finally joined one, and it is the best thing ever! The woman I have met are wonderfully, i feel like i have known them forever. It is so natural, everyone is so busy (thats why i did not do it earlier) but these woman are taking time to spend it together. we meet once a month for about 3 hours. They also have a dinner which is paid for by the American Cancer Society. I hope that you and everyone else on this board joins a support group, don't forget us here though!
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    shaggy420 said:

I haven't had any issues
    I haven't had any issues with my implants - they are a MILLION times more comfortable than the tissue expanders were. Surgery wasn't too bad, I didn't even have to stay overnight in the hospital. The day after the exchange surgery I was in ALOT of pain, but ice packs & meds worked for me. After the first day it wasn't too bad at all. I still had full range of motion in both arms & shoulders. It's been exactly 4 weeks since my surgery, I had a follow up appt with my plastic surgeon 4 or 5 days ago - my boobs are still swollen & still have lots of softening & falling into place to do. That's one thing I hope your surgeon stresses to you - your result immediately after surgery is NOT what your final result will look like. Mine came out looking like big flat hamburger buns, but every day they're rounding out more & getting softer. And no matter what, they feel so much better than the expanders. Best of luck to you in your surgery in February, and I hope you & your family has a very Merry Christmas :)
    *hugs*
    Heather