Cellulitis

GayleMc
GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi. I went to the gynecologist for my annual check and she says I have a mild case of cellulitis in my affected breast. I had a lumpectomy 11 mos ago followed by for cycles of chemo, and 33 radiation treatments. I had noticed that I was a bit swollen and felt very tender in that breast the last few weeks but thought I had overdone things by lifting, etc. I have two weeks of antibiotics, then a recheck. I was a bit skeptical of this as it has been so long since active treatment and surgery, however, I read on the internet that this is somewhat common even years after lumpectomy. Has anyone else had this situation and be willing to share your experience? I have my first post treatment mammo in early Jan. and of course, my anxiety level is kicking into high gear. Thanks for any info you might have.

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    hope all goes well -try to
    hope all goes well -try to keep anxiety down if you can...I am lucky on that part..I do not get anxious at all...with any of my tests...

i'll be thinking of you
  • TinaBean
    TinaBean Member Posts: 1
    Cellulitis
    I had a lumpectomy 10 months ago with 34 radiation treatments and 5 years of Tamoxifen. 2 wks ago my left arm started hurting so bad and the armpit was red, hot to the touch and I felt really crummy. My Onc said it was Cellulitis and gave me IV antibiotics 2x's, then 10 days of antibiotic pills. The redness healed quickly. However, I just finished my last pill today, and my arm is hurting again very badly, it's very hot to the touch, I have no appetite, lost weight and feel crummy again, just in the last few days. There is just a little redness. But since NO fever, the Onc says it couldn't be an infection anymore. He did an ultrasound for blood clot, but negative so he sent me home. Any suggestions of what to try next?? ~ Frustrated!!!
  • GayleMc
    TinaBean said:

Cellulitis
    I had a lumpectomy 10 months ago with 34 radiation treatments and 5 years of Tamoxifen. 2 wks ago my left arm started hurting so bad and the armpit was red, hot to the touch and I felt really crummy. My Onc said it was Cellulitis and gave me IV antibiotics 2x's, then 10 days of antibiotic pills. The redness healed quickly. However, I just finished my last pill today, and my arm is hurting again very badly, it's very hot to the touch, I have no appetite, lost weight and feel crummy again, just in the last few days. There is just a little redness. But since NO fever, the Onc says it couldn't be an infection anymore. He did an ultrasound for blood clot, but negative so he sent me home. Any suggestions of what to try next?? ~ Frustrated!!!

I am being treated once
    I am being treated once again for cellulitis. Last week had fever, chills, felt like I had bad flu. Am on another course of antibiotics, redness and swelling of breast is getting a bit better. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions as to what might be causing you so much discomfort, but I do know I was very sick this time around. Have follow up on Wed., hope you feel better soon.
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    GayleMc said:

I am being treated once
    I am being treated once again for cellulitis. Last week had fever, chills, felt like I had bad flu. Am on another course of antibiotics, redness and swelling of breast is getting a bit better. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions as to what might be causing you so much discomfort, but I do know I was very sick this time around. Have follow up on Wed., hope you feel better soon.

Is this caused by the radiation?
    Is this caused by the radiation? The surgery?

Suzanne
  • GayleMc

Is this caused by the radiation?
    Is this caused by the radiation? The surgery?

Suzanne

I'm not sure. My doctors
    I'm not sure. My doctors are pretty vague about what causes it, but in my reading, I have learned that it is more common in women who have had lumpectomy. So, it could be radiation, since most lumpectomies are followed by rads. When I go for check on Wed., I'm hoping to get more clear answers.
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    GayleMc said:

I'm not sure. My doctors
    I'm not sure. My doctors are pretty vague about what causes it, but in my reading, I have learned that it is more common in women who have had lumpectomy. So, it could be radiation, since most lumpectomies are followed by rads. When I go for check on Wed., I'm hoping to get more clear answers.

cellulitis
    Dear GayleMc -

I don't know what is causing it in your case. I hope your docs can help you. That has to be frustrating!

I do know that a side-effect of lymphedema can be cellulitis.

I hope they find out SOON what is causing you so much trouble! xo
  • GayleMc

cellulitis
    Dear GayleMc -

I don't know what is causing it in your case. I hope your docs can help you. That has to be frustrating!

I do know that a side-effect of lymphedema can be cellulitis.

I hope they find out SOON what is causing you so much trouble! xo

Thank you Dawne for your
    Thank you Dawne for your kind and caring words. I will bring up the question of lymphedema tomorrow when I see breast surgeon.