Met with radiologist this afternoon.

cahjah75
cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
He was very comforting and thorough in explaining why he thinks I need radiation. I had bilateral mastectomy in June and my tumor edge was very close to the pectoral muscle and my chest wall. Thank goodness I didn't have any lymph node involvement. He feels that I need 5 weeks of radiation. I go for my CT scan and mapping Dec. 28. So, the journey continues but I will get through this too! This website got me through chemo with hardly any side effects and I'm prepared to get through rads just as easily, I hope! Thank you for caring and for your encouragement.
Char

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I am glad you are getting
    I am glad you are getting radiation as I think it is very important. My little sister had chemo but no radiation (2 small IDC's and no nodes). She had a local recurrence and then had radiation and is on femara. That was 5 or 6 years ago and she is doing well.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I am glad you are getting
    I am glad you are getting radiation as I think it is very important. My little sister had chemo but no radiation (2 small IDC's and no nodes). She had a local recurrence and then had radiation and is on femara. That was 5 or 6 years ago and she is doing well.

Forgive me if I am wrong ,
    Forgive me if I am wrong , did you have lobular? The way it grows I think rads is good (if so) Just do everything to slay the beast!!!!!
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    It will be over before you
    It will be over before you know it!! Well maybe you'll know it.. anyway. I start mine on the 16Th this month for six weeks. So we will kind of go through it together! I'll be on the table next to ya. Merry Christmas Char. Kay
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    forward march......
    the rads will be a piece of cake for you! It is tiring have to go every day...but it will be over before you know it. What a journey this is for everyone........but being able to keep in touch with each other is a definite help. Keep marching forward! Hugs
  • cahjah75
    carkris said:

Forgive me if I am wrong , did you have lobular? The way it grows I think rads is good (if so) Just do everything to slay the beast!!!!!

Carkris
    yes, I did have lobular carcinoma in right breast and Lobular in situ in the left.
    Char
  • cahjah75
    today
    was my sister's bday (the one who just had rads for recurrence) and she was surprised that my dr recommended rads. I called my sister in WA to let her know and she thinks I should have a 2nd opinion but I'm confident in my drs and will do whatever it takes. I want to lesson any chances of a recurrence if I can. I see my surgeon next week and will talk to him about postponing the minor surgery on the sides of my body after mastectomy. One thing at a time and the next is rads. At least I have a break for Christmas.
    Char
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Char youll get thru the rads
    Char youll get thru the rads too cuz your an incredible woman, and yeah you get christmas off! Before you know it youll be a rads grad!!!!
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    cahjah75 said:

today
    was my sister's bday (the one who just had rads for recurrence) and she was surprised that my dr recommended rads. I called my sister in WA to let her know and she thinks I should have a 2nd opinion but I'm confident in my drs and will do whatever it takes. I want to lesson any chances of a recurrence if I can. I see my surgeon next week and will talk to him about postponing the minor surgery on the sides of my body after mastectomy. One thing at a time and the next is rads. At least I have a break for Christmas.
    Char

Compared to chemo
    radiation is a piece of cake! I do have to say, tho, if you have any sense of modesty remaining, it will go out the window. At least it did for me. Laying on the table bare chested every day, then showing the breast to the radiation oncologist and resident once a week - it's gone, totally gone. Went very quickly. They get you in position and then practically run out of the room, leaving you exposed and alone. All professionally done, of course.

Good luck with your treatments, Char and Kay. Hope they go as well for you as they did for me.

Suzanne
  • cahjah75
    jo jo said:

Char youll get thru the rads
    Char youll get thru the rads too cuz your an incredible woman, and yeah you get christmas off! Before you know it youll be a rads grad!!!!

I lost all modesty
    a while ago! My surgeon and I joke about it since there is nothing there! When the radiologist asked if he could see how my skin has healed, I said sure and pulled my prosthetic bra forward so he could see inside. There's nothing there but a long scar! I'm just hoping I'm not one who gets a bad burn )-:
    Char
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    carkris said:

Wishing you good luck with
    Wishing you good luck with rads!
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    cahjah75 said:

I lost all modesty
    a while ago! My surgeon and I joke about it since there is nothing there! When the radiologist asked if he could see how my skin has healed, I said sure and pulled my prosthetic bra forward so he could see inside. There's nothing there but a long scar! I'm just hoping I'm not one who gets a bad burn )-:
    Char

Modesty
    It got so bad for me that before I lost my hair, I went to get it cut and went to put on the gown they provide and I started taking everything off!!! LOL!!!
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    pattimc said:

Modesty
    It got so bad for me that before I lost my hair, I went to get it cut and went to put on the gown they provide and I started taking everything off!!! LOL!!!

Patti
    I had to read your post a couple of times before I realized what you'd done. That's a riot. I can see it now ... going to get your hair cut but taking your clothes off first. I wish someone would write a book or at least keep track of the many "odd" things we do during our adventure with cancer. I know with chemo brain some of the things we say and do are really traumatic to us at the time ... but to look back on them ... we just have to laugh. It's much easier than crying!

And ... just try to keep your clothes on ... unless you are in a doctor's office or the hospital. LOL

hugs.
    teena
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    cavediver said:

forward march......
    the rads will be a piece of cake for you! It is tiring have to go every day...but it will be over before you know it. What a journey this is for everyone........but being able to keep in touch with each other is a definite help. Keep marching forward! Hugs

Rads aren't a piece of cake,
    Rads aren't a piece of cake, but, you will get through them just fine!

Hugs, Diane