CEA NUMBERS

124»

Comments

• sharpy102
    sharpy102 Member Posts: 368 Member
    scouty said:

Dang
    Never had a 13 year old hero before but I do now. You go girl!!! Have you read about the high school girl from Texas that just won the Internation Science Fair competition? Her project was on using light to kill hard to reach cancer cells and apparently there are now some researchers and companies working with her on her idea. Sounds like you'll be in her shoes in now time.

Make up proud Sophie and thank you in advance!
    Lisa P.

nawwww
    Nawww Lisa! I'm NOT a hero, and it might be that never ever going to be. It's not even a goal of mine. Until I know I've done something that at least a tinie-tiny bit helped to advance reserach further in cancer research then I'm fulfilled. No, I haven't heard about that Texan girl you were asking...I haven't even heard about the International Science Fair competition...that's kindda cool. But we did have a homework project where you could write a "proposal" (they gave us the format how it should be built up as we never wrote a proposal before...YET!) and we had to write a proposal on a research area people have not done before. You guys can guess what I choose! I chose colon cancer. I've read how K-Ras usually have an activating mutation and that the current treatments that are used are all blocking a component (ERK) that is downstream of K-Ras, so that it cannot further enhance cell proliferation. But they know now that it is because some people have another mutation next to this K-Ras, called PI3K. So, my "proposal" was to use RNA silencing against both K-Ras, and PI3K and check how the cells can grow in plate and if injected into mice how it can grow and metastasize (as PI3K activating mutation helps the tumor cells to open up arteries to metastasize and feed on). :) We haven't got the grade yet, but I'm on pins and needles! The teacher said that those who do really well (as it is an actual university course, but some high school students got the permission to register for it) can skip a whole year of biology course in high school. I want to skip, so I can finish sooner, and finally study this! :) I've read soooooooooooo many articles on cancer research, especially on colorectal cancer...but I have not read a single book from Harry Potter though...>.< Well...now I wrote you a novel...haha Anyway, thank you for your lines, you are nice, but let's just say I'm a determined kid...:)
    Take care, Lisa!
    Sophie