Dry, chapped hands, dry skin on feet

Jean T. Szabo
Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Used some "Gold Bond" lotion on my hands the over night and woke up to redness and chapped hands. Wrote to my Onc. nurse asking advise as to what lotion to use for the chapped hands. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Comments

• Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    This surprises me the Gold
    This surprises me the Gold Bond Ultimate Healing is about all I can use. Sorry it bothered you so badly. I know the Aveeno lotions are good my youngest grandson has eczema and my daughter uses that with him. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    Something else to try
    Eucerine was recommended to me. I also use vaseline which I'll slather on and then put socks or gloves on for the night.
    I noticed that I had a similar thing happen with Gold Bond which surprised me because I had never had that reaction to it before.
    Good luck.
    JoAnn
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    joannstar said:

Something else to try
    Eucerine was recommended to me. I also use vaseline which I'll slather on and then put socks or gloves on for the night.
    I noticed that I had a similar thing happen with Gold Bond which surprised me because I had never had that reaction to it before.
    Good luck.
    JoAnn

I used..
    Aquaphor, it worked very well for me.
    Karie
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I had a bad rash and a
    I had a bad rash and a dermatologist had me using Neutrogena hand cream. It's rather sticky if you use too much, reminds me of Aquaphor.
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Marcia527 said:

I had a bad rash and a
    I had a bad rash and a dermatologist had me using Neutrogena hand cream. It's rather sticky if you use too much, reminds me of Aquaphor.

Udderly Smooth!
    I get very dry skin ... especially in the winter ... and asked a friend from Wisconsin what they used ... and she said Udderly Smooth. (And maybe some other types of "balms" for cow udders. Really.) ... Anyway ... you can get Udderly Smooth in the hand cream/lotion section of the drug stores (I go to CVS). It comes in the tube and a jar ... and I like the jar better. It's white with black "cow" spots on it. The stuff is great ... not greasy and soaks into your skin pretty fast!

Good luck to all of you other "flakey" folks out there ... I know how you feel!

hugs.
    teena
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    tgf said:

Udderly Smooth!
    I get very dry skin ... especially in the winter ... and asked a friend from Wisconsin what they used ... and she said Udderly Smooth. (And maybe some other types of "balms" for cow udders. Really.) ... Anyway ... you can get Udderly Smooth in the hand cream/lotion section of the drug stores (I go to CVS). It comes in the tube and a jar ... and I like the jar better. It's white with black "cow" spots on it. The stuff is great ... not greasy and soaks into your skin pretty fast!

Good luck to all of you other "flakey" folks out there ... I know how you feel!

hugs.
    teena

chapped hands
    I agree Udderly Smooth thats what the ladies suggested when i had the look good feel better meeting i love it. it's wierd how my skin was combination and now it's all dry but this to shall pass. MollyZ
  • Jean T. Szabo
    mollyz said:

chapped hands
    I agree Udderly Smooth thats what the ladies suggested when i had the look good feel better meeting i love it. it's wierd how my skin was combination and now it's all dry but this to shall pass. MollyZ

Thank you ladies. Onc. suggested Curel. Have heard only good things about Aveeno and will go to Walgreens and pick some up tomorrow. Will use the vasaline tonight. Udderly Smooth, that is a funny name but will check that out too.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Jean
    my dermatologist recommends Aquaphor.
    Char
  • Power1
    Power1 Member Posts: 2
    Dry,chapped hands, dry skin on feet
    I am also surprised that you had a problem. I used Recovery Cream with great results during radiation and then kept using it as a skin cream. Good luck.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member

This surprises me the Gold
    This surprises me the Gold Bond Ultimate Healing is about all I can use. Sorry it bothered you so badly. I know the Aveeno lotions are good my youngest grandson has eczema and my daughter uses that with him. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

Aveeno is good, and, like
    Aveeno is good, and, like someone else wrote, you could put vaseline on too.

Hoping you get some good results from something soon.
  • Jean T. Szabo
    cahjah75 said:

Jean
    my dermatologist recommends Aquaphor.
    Char

Aquaphor
    Just got some Aquaphor from Walgreens. When is the best time to start using it, at night or during the day? Just slather it on? Bought some plastic gloves for doing dishes or cleaning with water also. The hands are now look very dry, cracking, like new skin is trying to form, scaley? Let me know your thoughts.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Power1 said:

Dry,chapped hands, dry skin on feet
    I am also surprised that you had a problem. I used Recovery Cream with great results during radiation and then kept using it as a skin cream. Good luck.

I've used just about all lotions
    The best thing I've used is good old cheap vasaline.
  • Jean T. Szabo

I've used just about all lotions
    The best thing I've used is good old cheap vasaline.

Aquaphor
    Aquaphor seems to be working. Thanks for all for the advice. Will never use "Gold Bond" on hands again. Vasaline worked before the "cracking" from dryness started.
  • HillBillyNana
    HillBillyNana Member Posts: 107

Aquaphor
    Aquaphor seems to be working. Thanks for all for the advice. Will never use "Gold Bond" on hands again. Vasaline worked before the "cracking" from dryness started.

Stinky but it works
    When I was doing chemo, my hands and fingers just cracked something awful. I finally found a product that really worked for me. It is Zim's Crack Creme Liquid Skin CAre. I got it at Walmart but yesterday when I looked for it I couldn't find it. I think they move things around on purpose. It used to be in the first aid area. It is a little bottle with a spray pump on it. Just spray it on and rub it in. It doesn't smell nice but it really worked for me. Also on my cracked heels, I used a product called Heel Balm - the brand is Flexitol. My hands are much better now that I finished the chemo, but my feel have always been dry. I used rubber gloves when my hands were so bad.

Inez
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    i normally get such dry,
    i normally get such dry, cracked feet in the winter naturally, sometimes they would bleed. after my lumpectomy, my surgeon told me to get Vitamin E creme for my breast after about a week, the stuff felt so good and smelled so nice that i started using it on my feet and it worked. i also occasionally wash my dry feet with baby oil. i sued to use eucerin but much better like the vitamin e creme. i got it at walmart in the lotion section hidden at the botton of the display! she said walgreens carries it too.