Choosing between Implant surgery and Lap surgery

judyjoylouisa
judyjoylouisa Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi folks. I am newly diagnosed and have to choose between implant and lap surgery for bi lateral Mastectomy. Can someone with this type of surgery experience please let me know what your experience was/is. many thanks judy

Comments

• DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Hi and welcome! I had a
    Hi and welcome! I had a lumpectomy, so, I can't offer advice, but, other sisters on here that have had the surgery will post information for you.

Good luck with your decision!

Hugs, Debby
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    It's all a personal decision
    I had the implant surgery (just yesterday). Ironically, I lost a lot of weight before I was diagnosed with bc, so this was the best option for me. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I'm sure you will get a lot of feedback here. This is a great site to ask questions, vent, or just read. Welcome! Hugs, Jean
  • hoop77
    hoop77 Member Posts: 84
    Hello Judy!
    I chose

Hello Judy!
    I chose implants. I really didn't have another option because I am a small person so the lap option wasn't an option, ha ha! The tissue expander/implant reconstruction was pretty easy with minimal down time. My mastectomy was May 4th and I had my permanent implants put in Aug 28th. I'm very pleased with the results, they feel so normal and are a little bigger than the ones that tried to kill me (a nice bonus for the pain...) Best of luck in your decision. If you need more info or would like to talk, email me at hoop77@sbcglobal.net

Laura
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Judy
    it is definitely a personal choice. I had bilateral mastectomy in June and because I'm 61 decided against reconstruction. I did however meet with plastic surgeon to go over my options. He said many people wait years (he had just done reconstruction on a woman who waited 15 years). I have my prosthetic "girls" and wear them when I go out. At home I stay all natural! Wishing you the best as you make your decision.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

It's all a personal decision
    I had the implant surgery (just yesterday). Ironically, I lost a lot of weight before I was diagnosed with bc, so this was the best option for me. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I'm sure you will get a lot of feedback here. This is a great site to ask questions, vent, or just read. Welcome! Hugs, Jean

I didn't have to have a
    I didn't have to have a mastectomy. I was lucky and could have a lumpectomy. So many on here have had a mastectomy and will post something for you.

What you do is what your plastic surgeon recommends and what you want.

Good luck with your surgery.

Hugs, Diane
  • KathyLQ
    KathyLQ Member Posts: 100
    Perhaps find an exchange group
    Judy, I'm planning to have a DIEP transfer in 3 1/2 months. Going through expansion right now.

One thing that helped me, was that I found a breast reconstruction Exchange Group. It was put on by a Plastic surgeon group, but they invite people going to all doctors. I heard about them through a referral of my own doctor with the University Medical Center.

This group meets monthly. Last month 20 women attended, this month only 5. They do a show and tell. Last month there were women who had had both implants and flap transfers. The moderator, a nurse, did a presentation with before and after pictures. Talking with all the other woman was very interesting and helpful.

Also ask your doctor for referral names. I've talked to half a dozen already.