please help15 months after stage 1 cc dx and ressection mets to the liver how can it be?

Options
colonblender
colonblender Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
hi evry body my huby was dx in 5/2009 with stage 1 colon cancer had surgery was doing follow up after 4 month cea started rising slowly they could not find any thing (done colonoscopy pet cat xray )at the the 15months mark they found a met in his liver had surgery doc said it was a cure we were happy but said because youg and cancer came back in a short time the cancer was agressive it scared us to death he is going to start chemo even though ned how can it be please help.and should we be scared that cancer is still there

Comments

• Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Bumping this up for you
    Hi,

I'm so sorry for what you are both going through. I know someone will chime in with good advice as always.

Sonia
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    With colon cancer the most
    With colon cancer the most common place to spread is to the liver. They probably missed the liver tumor. Your doc can test proteins and sugars and compare blood vs urine. Those tests are only markers and not conclusive. (It also depends on your cancer whether proteins, sugars or octriotides are the marker.) Contrast CT and PT are not detailed enough to find most colon cancers.

I would get a second opinion. It can not hurt. A different doc may have a different approach on your hubby's cancer.

I am not a doctor, but have read way to much on colon cancer. I am an engineer and my wife is a MBA and we know how to study. We read everything we could find to have an idea of what questions to ask docs. This is my second time with colon cancer, and hopefully my last.

Best Always, mike
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    Sonia32 said:

Bumping this up for you
    Hi,

I'm so sorry for what you are both going through. I know someone will chime in with good advice as always.

Sonia

Hi , some times is difficult to understand why about
    Cancer!
    My prayers for a good journey while on chemo!
    Hugs!
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    HI:
    Your hubby has no evidence of active disese now that the liver met is gone but in the event there are microscopic cells running around looking for a home, the chemo should knock that out. It is not unusual for follow up chemo after liver resection. You have caught everything in the early stages and that is really very good. Going from Stage I to Stage IV must have felt like the rug being pulled out from under you. I know that feeling.

Sounds like your docs are on top of things. Maybe that liver met was there from the get go, you will never know so don't beat yourself up over it. Just put one foot in front of the other and take it day by day.

Any questions about his chemo you can use the search part or just come on here and ask and everyone will let you know their experiences.

Take care - Tina
  • bruins1971
    bruins1971 Member Posts: 227
    Options
    Stay Focused
    Hey there I wanted to say that I am sorry about what is going on but that you must stay focused on what is at hand and not focused on how did this happen. How did the doctors miss this cause they might not have cancer is just a devil running around in our bodies. I have stage 4 but am currently close to the end of my treatment plan. DX March 2010 then colon surgery to removed golf ball sized tumor in colon. Five rounds of chemo to reduce the size of my two tumors in the live and by the grace of God the shrunk 40% but where still big. Now I am finishing up the last 7 rounds of chemo to go after the microscopic cells that they cannot see. I just had round 10 yesterday and I am wearing my little 5FU pump as I type I can't believe that I only have two more rounds of this and then I pray it will leave me alone. As for your husband it's always best to have 2nd or 3rd opinions to be sure of your options, how old is your husband I am 38 and I see you typed that he was young. I will pray for him that all will go well and keep us posted as to how well he is doing..

Bobby in Dallas