Dieting while on tx

poopergirl14052
poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
My md says not to diet while getting chemo but i am gaining weight again. I lost 20 pounds last year and gained it all back. I try to eat healhly but i am hungry all the time it seems.

Comments

• nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    weight
    I initially lost about 20lbs as well. I was always thin but definately not skinny. I am 2years from diagnosis and am about 10 to 15 lbs over my pre-sickness body weight. Even pre-diagnosis I was 5 lbs over my pre-baby weight. My son was 3yrs old when I was diagnosed.

Since I've gained all the weight back and then some I thought about trying to lose weight. Between the steriods and remembering what it is like not being able to eat I say the heck with it. I might as well eat while I can. In the end ... well .... I'll probably have a bowel obstruction and not be able to eat.
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    I was told not to diet also
    I'm also about 15 lbs. above what I've ever been. I have always been thin and don't like this extra weight. I've been told not to diet, but I try to get my calories from healthy foods. Probably some of this poundage is from laying low after chemo treatments?
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • hopeful girl 1
    hopeful girl 1 Member Posts: 454
    Mwee said:

I was told not to diet also
    I'm also about 15 lbs. above what I've ever been. I have always been thin and don't like this extra weight. I've been told not to diet, but I try to get my calories from healthy foods. Probably some of this poundage is from laying low after chemo treatments?
    (((HUGS))) Maria

Diet
    Friends,

It is my understanding that we should not diet during chemo, because the body requires more calories and protein to rebuild the the good cells that get damaged by the chemo-and to help rebuild the blood cells.

Cindy