neuropathy.

Options
Eltina21
Eltina21 Member Posts: 173 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
What can be done for neuropathy in the hands and feet following chemotherapy and how long does it last? Thanks and have a great day.

Peace and Blessings,
Karen(Eltina21)

Comments

• lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    Options
    ALPHA-LIPOIC ACID - at Walmart
    Hi Karen,

I participated in the clinical trial with ALPHA-LIPOIC ACID. Since chemo (my chemo ended last December), I have the tingling every morning. I take 2 capsules of the Alpha Lipoic Acid and it relieves it for the day. You can buy it at Walmart. Worked for me.

Good Luck,
    Lizzy
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    in addition
    In addition to the alpha lipoic acid (which I just recently found out about- wished I knew about it during the time I got Folfox (that darn oxaliplatin!), there are a couple of other things you can take as well. First of all, if you happen to be getting Folfox at the moment, make sure you are getting the oxaliplatin infused with a combo of calcium and magnesium- shown to reduce the side effects to the nerves (something else I wish I knew about- or wish my oncologist knew about- while I was getting oxi).
    I also was told (in addition to alpha lipoic acid) to take Lysine tablets and vitamin B-6. I didn't take these supplements until starting a couple of months after I finished folfox & it took almost a year, but I regained almost 100% of my feeling and control in my hands and about 85% or so in my feet (still have some numbness and issues on underside of toes). I get some tingles now while taking Gemzar & the alpha lipoic acid seems to do the trick.

Lisa
  • Eltina21
    Options

ALPHA-LIPOIC ACID - at Walmart
    Hi Karen,

I participated in the clinical trial with ALPHA-LIPOIC ACID. Since chemo (my chemo ended last December), I have the tingling every morning. I take 2 capsules of the Alpha Lipoic Acid and it relieves it for the day. You can buy it at Walmart. Worked for me.

Good Luck,
    Lizzy

neuropathy
    Thank you ever so much. I shall go to Walmart tomorrow. Iwant to begin sewing again, but I have not used my sewing machine for I don't want to run through my fingers with the needle from not moving my hands, quick enough. Thanks again.

Peace and Blessings,
    Karen (Eltina 21)
  • Eltina21
    Options
    lisa42 said:

in addition
    In addition to the alpha lipoic acid (which I just recently found out about- wished I knew about it during the time I got Folfox (that darn oxaliplatin!), there are a couple of other things you can take as well. First of all, if you happen to be getting Folfox at the moment, make sure you are getting the oxaliplatin infused with a combo of calcium and magnesium- shown to reduce the side effects to the nerves (something else I wish I knew about- or wish my oncologist knew about- while I was getting oxi).
    I also was told (in addition to alpha lipoic acid) to take Lysine tablets and vitamin B-6. I didn't take these supplements until starting a couple of months after I finished folfox & it took almost a year, but I regained almost 100% of my feeling and control in my hands and about 85% or so in my feet (still have some numbness and issues on underside of toes). I get some tingles now while taking Gemzar & the alpha lipoic acid seems to do the trick.

Lisa

Neuropathy
    This website has taught me that I am truly surrounded by angels. Thank you so much for the advice. The tingling goes on daily. It will be so nice to have some relief. I shall keep you posted.

Peace and Blessings,

Karen (Eltina21)
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Eltina21 said:

Neuropathy
    This website has taught me that I am truly surrounded by angels. Thank you so much for the advice. The tingling goes on daily. It will be so nice to have some relief. I shall keep you posted.

Peace and Blessings,

Karen (Eltina21)

trying not to discourage you
    but always remember what may work for one person may not always work for another.i took the b complex for over 6 months and 600 mlg of alpha lipoic acid per day for about the same period.i guess i thought it was going to be a quick fix.i could not tell that these suppliments were helping.now i take neurontin daily for the pain.my fingers have somewhat got better but still have it bad in lower legs(especially feels weird when i shave my legs)and in the balls of my feet and toes.i finished chemo in july 2009 and for me the only thing that has helped me is time....this is something along with other bad side effects that i am just learning to live with but at least i am living.good luck to you hope it goes away for you soon....Godbless....johnnybegood
  • Eltina21
    Options

trying not to discourage you
    but always remember what may work for one person may not always work for another.i took the b complex for over 6 months and 600 mlg of alpha lipoic acid per day for about the same period.i guess i thought it was going to be a quick fix.i could not tell that these suppliments were helping.now i take neurontin daily for the pain.my fingers have somewhat got better but still have it bad in lower legs(especially feels weird when i shave my legs)and in the balls of my feet and toes.i finished chemo in july 2009 and for me the only thing that has helped me is time....this is something along with other bad side effects that i am just learning to live with but at least i am living.good luck to you hope it goes away for you soon....Godbless....johnnybegood

Neuropathy
    Dear Johnnybe good,
    Thank you for the advice. I bought some Alpha Lipoic Acid today. I am going to see how it works. Yes it is better to be alive. That is a true blessing. Keep smiling and take care.

Peace and Blessings,
    Karen (Eltina21)
  • Stan49
    Stan49 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Eltina21 said:

Neuropathy
    Dear Johnnybe good,
    Thank you for the advice. I bought some Alpha Lipoic Acid today. I am going to see how it works. Yes it is better to be alive. That is a true blessing. Keep smiling and take care.

Peace and Blessings,
    Karen (Eltina21)

neuropathy
    Hi all
    Good luck with the neuropathy. I had stage3c colon cancer in 2001 20 inches of colon is all that is left. still have neuropathy,joint pain,muscle weakness,and in 2008 left ventricle failure. The chemo saved my life but the drugs also played hell with me.So deal with it the best you can any way you can, injoy your friends and famliy. Thank God you were given more time to do so.
    Peace&love Stan