Post Surgery Chemo

Options
jrbholland
jrbholland Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Hello Everyone,

I have not written in a while. My Mom (age 54) was diagnosed with Stage 3B EC in June 2010. The original plan was that she would have 3 cycles of ECF Chemotherapy (epirubicin, cisplatin and fluorouracil 5FU). However, half-way through her second cycle she got really sick, to the point where she was hospitalized for a week. They stopped the CHEMO and she went for surgery to remove her esophagus in October 2010. The surgery went really well, they were able to get good margins etc. The surgeon even told us that the lymph nodes looked good.

Unfortunately, the pathology came back and said that 4 of 17 lymph nodes were positive. They are recommending additonal chemotherapy. They gave us two options

1) ECF at a lower dose (because she was so ill the first time)
2) Just 5FU but for a longer period of time

Does anyone have any advice on which is better?

Thanks,
Jeff

Comments

• Bobs1wife
    Bobs1wife Member Posts: 150
    Options
    More chemo for us, too!
    Jeff, I don't really have a recommendation, but we are in the same position as your mother. Everything looked good at surgery, but with the following pathology my husband had just 1 node of 27 removed that had scattered cells. He is starting follow up chemo next week. I'm not looking forward to it, either, to say the least, but then I know it is what is best to do.

Hope you get a good plan worked out for your mother, and what will be best for her. Bob is actually doing 2 different chemo drugs that he has not had before, so we are praying he will do well on them.

Your mom is blessed with a good, supportive, son that wants the best for her. Keep on keepin' on! Linda
  • Donna70
    Donna70 Member Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Bobs1wife said:

More chemo for us, too!
    Jeff, I don't really have a recommendation, but we are in the same position as your mother. Everything looked good at surgery, but with the following pathology my husband had just 1 node of 27 removed that had scattered cells. He is starting follow up chemo next week. I'm not looking forward to it, either, to say the least, but then I know it is what is best to do.

Hope you get a good plan worked out for your mother, and what will be best for her. Bob is actually doing 2 different chemo drugs that he has not had before, so we are praying he will do well on them.

Your mom is blessed with a good, supportive, son that wants the best for her. Keep on keepin' on! Linda

post op chemo just to be sure
    After my surgery for T3N1MO, I had one positive lymph node and was given Taxotere for post op chemo, I was 65 and had gotten pretty ill during my last chemo before surgery, I was hospitalized and my last 2 rad treatments were cancelled, so they opted for the Taxotere which they thought I could tolerate it was hard because you are weak after surgery but I would listen carefully to the drs. It is considered cleanup and who doesn't want the chance to survive? My dr said I want you to have it so you don't come in next year and have a recurrence. There is no positive guarantee that recurrences won't occur but it gives you more of a chance. The best of luck to your Mom.
    Donna70
  • mlbrooks852
    mlbrooks852 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    folfox
    the chemo that Dale is taking is Folfox. it is a combination of three drugs, including oxaliplatin, leukoviirin, and 5 FU. 12 tx were recommended, and due to a recently fractured hip, we are only about half way thru them. 3 out of 18 nodes were positive with his surgeey which was done in april of 2010. so far so good........we start back next week.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator