reconstruction

disneyfan2008
disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone had reconstuction for Lumpectomy? or mostly Mastectomy ?

Comments

• webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Lumpectomy
    Lumpectomy is a breast preserving option for many woman, to aviod mastectomy. There would be no reason for reconstruction if you still have your breasts.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member

Lumpectomy
    Lumpectomy is a breast preserving option for many woman, to aviod mastectomy. There would be no reason for reconstruction if you still have your breasts.

i thought due to mis-shaped
    I had Lumpectomy - but took forever for me to really look (over 2 yrs to compare) and very lop-sided...so I thought some woman did...I am not thinking of it..just wondered -but perhaps I am totally off in my thinking...

Thanks for info..
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member

I had Lumpectomy - but took forever for me to really look (over 2 yrs to compare) and very lop-sided...so I thought some woman did...I am not thinking of it..just wondered -but perhaps I am totally off in my thinking...

Thanks for info..

like nike says, just do it!
    there is no reason in my mind why you cant get breast reconstruction done for your lopsidedness following a larger lumpectomy. since it is not considered an "elective" surgery, i think it is the law that insurance companies need to pay for it because it is considered treatment of the medical issue (at least it is in my state, with no limitation of time). i say by all means talk to your surgeon and plastic surgeon to see what can be done. if you are uncomfortable with the mishapen breast, please do something to make it better.
  • Betsy13
    Betsy13 Member Posts: 185

Thanks for info..

I'm right here with you
    I just posted on this. Sorry I missed yours. I am almost at a year and am thinking plastic surgery. I, too, had a lumpectomy and have a hole above my left nipple...not very attractive. I don't like what it looks like period. That's the bottom line. We have been to hell and back and we have options if we don't like what we look like. If you read my post titled 'reconstruction', someone posted a huge list of questions to ask your plastic surgeon. I am going to my rad. onc. for a check up next week and will be asking her to recommend plastic surgeons who specialize in breast reconstructions. Also, my husband went online and found pictures of 'before' and 'after' reconstructions. These were helpful but these were not bc survivors. A gal at work had implants and we have a great conversation.

There is no reason to not like what you look like. You are not 'off' in your thinking at all.

Let me know what you decide,
    Betsy
  • betsymorgan
    betsymorgan Member Posts: 25
    you might think I'm weird, but...
    I took pictures of my reconstruction. I'd be happy to share (I'm a teacher by trade!). I had a tram flap (with the bonus tummy-tuck). I left the hospital after 3 days with 3 drains. Standing up straight took about a week. I felt I could drive after 3 weeks. I tried to go back to work after 6 weeks, and it was too soon.

You will be covered by insurance if you want to change anything related to your breast cancer treatment via plastic surgery.

Questions I would ask include areas of numbness. My "noob" which is my own tissue from my abdomen will gain and lose weight as I do, but feels like a lump of clay. There's no feeling whatsoever. If you value the feeling you have in your imperfect-to-you boob, then don't go the reconstruction route (or even the implant route, I've heard). I also have no feeling along the right center side of my torso in the front (where the tram flap was moved under the skin); I have a very long scar from one hip to the other. Sometimes it's hard for me not to feel disfigured....but it was the right decision for me--in a few years, the scars will fade.

My Christmas present to myself? a nipple!
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823

you might think I'm weird, but...
    I took pictures of my reconstruction. I'd be happy to share (I'm a teacher by trade!). I had a tram flap (with the bonus tummy-tuck). I left the hospital after 3 days with 3 drains. Standing up straight took about a week. I felt I could drive after 3 weeks. I tried to go back to work after 6 weeks, and it was too soon.

You will be covered by insurance if you want to change anything related to your breast cancer treatment via plastic surgery.

Questions I would ask include areas of numbness. My "noob" which is my own tissue from my abdomen will gain and lose weight as I do, but feels like a lump of clay. There's no feeling whatsoever. If you value the feeling you have in your imperfect-to-you boob, then don't go the reconstruction route (or even the implant route, I've heard). I also have no feeling along the right center side of my torso in the front (where the tram flap was moved under the skin); I have a very long scar from one hip to the other. Sometimes it's hard for me not to feel disfigured....but it was the right decision for me--in a few years, the scars will fade.

My Christmas present to myself? a nipple!

betsymorgan,
    i don't think

betsymorgan,

i don't think you're weird at all ... i got nips for Christmas! My stitches came out just in time ... the day before Christmas Eve. I love 'em. Almost didn't get them because didn't want more surgery, but so glad I did!

You deserve it! :)
  • betsymorgan
    betsymorgan Member Posts: 25

betsymorgan,
    i don't think

betsymorgan,

i don't think you're weird at all ... i got nips for Christmas! My stitches came out just in time ... the day before Christmas Eve. I love 'em. Almost didn't get them because didn't want more surgery, but so glad I did!

You deserve it! :)

The dressings are still on,
    The dressings are still on, so I haven't seen them both together...but to me, it's the last surgery. Are you getting tattoos?