Appetite question?

Options
MelanieT
MelanieT Member Posts: 186
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Has anyone experienced a huge difference in their appetite? For the last week chris has no appetite and says he always feels full. When he does eat he feels sick and bloated. Also he is always tired and fatigued. NO motivation. Not sure if this is something to worry about and I hate to always call his ONC. they prob think I am crazy!! lol

Loves,
Mel

Comments

• AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Melanie
    I was feeling like this + was dehydrated. I have been hydrated by IV the last 4 days + now my appetite is back + energy is coming back. I would definitely discuss Chris' symptoms with the onc.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    On Chemo Now?
    I guess he's on chemo right now? I've felt like that on different protocols of chemo. The same goes for the fatigue part. Well, check with his Onc but for the appetite you can't beat or compete with good old MaryJane. It's still the best around and can certainly get the munchies going.

There are no silly questions. You're new at this, how are you supposed to know all of the answers. They don't even know them all...
    -p
  • MelanieT
    MelanieT Member Posts: 186
    Options
    PhillieG said:

On Chemo Now?
    I guess he's on chemo right now? I've felt like that on different protocols of chemo. The same goes for the fatigue part. Well, check with his Onc but for the appetite you can't beat or compete with good old MaryJane. It's still the best around and can certainly get the munchies going.

There are no silly questions. You're new at this, how are you supposed to know all of the answers. They don't even know them all...
    -p

he is not on chemo... has
    he is not on chemo... has his 6 month scans Dec 16th. these are just new symptoms. he is also complaining of a sharp pain deep on his right side.. I just dont know if i should just hold out til his scans on the 16th or call sooner

Loves,
    Mel
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    MelanieT said:

he is not on chemo... has his 6 month scans Dec 16th. these are just new symptoms. he is also complaining of a sharp pain deep on his right side.. I just dont know if i should just hold out til his scans on the 16th or call sooner

Loves,
    Mel

Check in with his docs
    Since he is having new symptoms and one is pain, I would suggest you check in with his doctors and let them determine if he can wait or if his scan should be moved up.

Hope all is ok.

Hugs,

Marie
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    MelanieT -

It would be good to add information to your "profile" screen,
    so people can understand the situation better without having
    to ask for a "recap".

Is his loss of appetite since recent surgery, chemo, radiation,
    treatments, or after hearing depressing news..?

There could be mechanical problems, like adhesions.... or
    biological problems, like the interaction of chemicals and
    internal fluids, or depression... Or just the lack of a decent
    hunk of Lasagna! There's a lot of variables!

After surgery, drinking "Ensure Plus" helped me (and many
    others before and after me, I'm sure), with building back
    an appetite, gaining back weight, and getting some nutrition
    the "easy way". It's not the cheapest stuff to buy, but it works
    100% better than the other brands!

Dehydration can be a major factor also, and drinking at least
    4 oz of water an hour is never a bad thing to do after any
    surgery. Anyone with an Ileostomy has an inherent problem
    with hydration, but anyone just out of major surgery is also
    susceptible to dehydration. Likewise, both chemo and
    radiation can cause a need to pay attention to hydration also.

So, knowing what's been done, or being done, can be helpful
    to all those that would love to give a suggestion....

Good thoughts and wishes for good health are comin' at ya'!

John
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting to
    I would recommend getting to a doctor right away. I had pains and bloating. It turned out to be a blood vessel was damaged during surgery and clotted causing the colon to shut down. I could still pass fluids just not solids.

There are to many complications from cancer to mess around.

Best always! mike
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    Options
    Help the ONC to help you
    You are the best close up observer.
    Your worries count. I would get them addressed. who needs the extra stress.
    email or leave a detailed message or fax at the ONC's office. Be short and sweet and to the point about exact symptoms and demand nicely feedback. Ask do you want to get seen earlier ?
    So your ONC has to read think about the symptoms. Probably they could make an assessment in under a minute. Then they move the appointment or see you when scheduled. But guess what the ball has been moved from your court to the ONC. Hopefully the responsiblity and the worry as well. I feel its my obligation to keep the doctors fully informed at reasonable intervals based on symptom change.
    Guess what ? The next visit the ONC knows the score and should ask questions. Subtle pressure to the ONC tells them you are watching and you care. I have used this polite but pushy approach. I hope it works for me so far anyway. It may help you.
    I have a private onc, so I get more time and care. I do appreciate how horribly busy good ONCs are, so am mindful of being concise. Journaling symtoms and questions may help.
    Last visit I forgot to ask ONC about my uncharacteristic anger and short temper and I mean short. I caught her in the hallway after seeing her and asked. She said it was the DEX I am having with OXY. I did get all my questions answered eventually.
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options

Help the ONC to help you
    You are the best close up observer.
    Your worries count. I would get them addressed. who needs the extra stress.
    email or leave a detailed message or fax at the ONC's office. Be short and sweet and to the point about exact symptoms and demand nicely feedback. Ask do you want to get seen earlier ?
    So your ONC has to read think about the symptoms. Probably they could make an assessment in under a minute. Then they move the appointment or see you when scheduled. But guess what the ball has been moved from your court to the ONC. Hopefully the responsiblity and the worry as well. I feel its my obligation to keep the doctors fully informed at reasonable intervals based on symptom change.
    Guess what ? The next visit the ONC knows the score and should ask questions. Subtle pressure to the ONC tells them you are watching and you care. I have used this polite but pushy approach. I hope it works for me so far anyway. It may help you.
    I have a private onc, so I get more time and care. I do appreciate how horribly busy good ONCs are, so am mindful of being concise. Journaling symtoms and questions may help.
    Last visit I forgot to ask ONC about my uncharacteristic anger and short temper and I mean short. I caught her in the hallway after seeing her and asked. She said it was the DEX I am having with OXY. I did get all my questions answered eventually.

Call ONC
    Is he constipated? Is he eating foods that he is allergic to? Gassy green foods? Milk products? I also had pain there on my side about the six month point and was find. but ck with ONC. I always had a scan when pain was persistent.
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    MelanieT said:

Loves,
    Mel

Sorry
    I know I'm late on getting an opinion on, but pain in right side, please get him to the onc, right away. Not trying to worry you, but any new pains should be taken seriously, call sooner!!!!