IRE/nanoknife

Options
snommintj
snommintj Member Posts: 601
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
This topic has been mentioned before but I think it needs a some more attention. The good news is that it has been approved by the FDA for almost all types of soft tissue tumors and as of Dec 1, insurance companies will be required to recognize it as an option. My insurance company had turned me down earlier this month but have since reconsidered. There is only one place in SC that offers it. And there are still only a few places it's available in the US. If you haven't heard of it, IRE stands for irreversible electroporation. It is a completely new tool to add to the cancer toolbox. There was poison, heat, cold, and cut. You can add electricity to the mix. The high voltage electrical current travels through the cells leaving tiny passages behind as it moves through the cell wall. With the it's cell wall compromised, the tumor cell is unable to sustain itself and literally oozes away. This is often an outpatient procedure and seldom requires more than a single treatment to a tumor. Keep this in mind when they say you have only one option or two. This can be done on tumors very close to sensitive areas.

I know I haven't been writing or responding much lately, but I want everyone to know that I still read and keep up with what you guys are going through. I know more than most the burdens we face. Have faith that your treatments are helping and leading you further along the path to a cure. Scientists and Drs are so close to busting this thing wide open. I know only us patients want a cure, but I'll take a good treatment all day long.

Comments

• AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    John,

Thanks for always providing us with great information.
  • C Dixon
    C Dixon Member Posts: 201
    Options
    SC
    Hi,

Just wondering......are you from SC?

Catherine
  • snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601
    Options
    C Dixon said:

SC
    Hi,

Just wondering......are you from SC?

Catherine

yes
    yes, boiling springs, just north of spartanburg
  • C Dixon
    C Dixon Member Posts: 201
    Options
    snommintj said:

yes
    yes, boiling springs, just north of spartanburg

Me too.......
    I'm in Columbia but raised in Charleston. I saw that Roper was on the list of Nano Knife but I just wonder about that. It would be convenient. My dad was an ENT in Charleston and he always thought Roper was great but I don't know when we are talking about this. I asked my local Onc about it and he didn't think much of it but I don't know that that means much either.

I love SC. We were away many years as my husband was active duty and I was so glad to get back. I'm a Gamecock too, so we are happy with the game result from Saturday.

Take Care,

Catherine
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    Options
    John
    Thanks once again for keeping us updated on new developments. Very happy to hear this in regards to my lung nodules. I hope all is going well with you. Are you still in Guatemala mi amigo?

all the best, Lelsie