Are sweets bad for you during treatments

Options
2»

Comments

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options

it's not that simple ...
    The issue "should simple sugars be avoided" makes a lot of sense in general for general good health reasons, and there's evidence to show that simple sugars influence the growth of cancer cells. But folks, it's just not as simple as cutting out sugar to stop cancer. Yes it's probably a good idea, but you'd need to also look at a lot of other nutritional and environmental factors that might have a larger influence on specific types of cancer.

If you smoked, for example, the % of recurrence, statistically speaking, is greater than if you are HPV+ and do not smoke. How does sugar intake influence either of those stats? To what degree? Would offsetting sugars with more green tea make a difference? How about second hand smoke? What about the role of genes? Are you exposed to radiation or EMFs? What role do pesticides play? As large as sugar? What about GMO foods? Does organic low-refined sugar have the same effect?

This argument about sugar is a bit of tail chasing because as John points out a lot of what motivates this is our belief rather than statistically significant data. If it were that simple we'd see a stronger correlation to type 2 diabetes/cancer co-morbidity (a recent NY Times article covers this a bit).

It may also be a bit of the tail wagging the dog. Sure sugar has an influence, but what came first? I'm not saying don't give up sugar (I have) but I am saying don't be led by simple solutions either. The old adage 'if something looks too good to be true, it probably is' is asking to be applied here. Sugar might be a smoking gun but it is likely not the only one and possibly not the most dangerous.

Hope this helps.

Mick

EMF
    Oh say it isn't so.....

LOL, I only find this amusing because I have worked for an Electric Utility for going on 22 years, 14 of that was at the power plants. A large portion of that involved compliance testing (stack emissions). Fuels primarily consisting of coal, petroleum coke, heavy oil #6, light oil #2 or diesel fuel, and natural gas.

Plenty of EMF's floating around I'm sure as we generate close to 1000 Mega Watts/Hour, or are at least capable, depending on demand and availability.

As Mick, Scam, Bob, and other all have concerns, and I know their thinking is only for the best. I just think (also like Mick states above), there are many possible combinations or variables that caused our cancer cells to turn on.

That also, leaves me with something I meant to say in an earlier post. It's concerning cancer cells...from my understanding, we all have them. I don't think even with our treatment they are gone for good. Yes, possibly right after treatment for awhile...but being exposed to everything that we encounter every day, I'm sure they still invade our bodies again eventually.

It's with that I can only hope that my body has healed enough and strong enough to fight off these cells from becoming active.

Good health, sound mind and body, positive thoughts, plenty of rest, minimize the stress in your life....surround your self with family and friends.

Best to you all,
    John
  • micktissue
    micktissue Member Posts: 430
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

EMF
    Oh say it isn't so.....

LOL, I only find this amusing because I have worked for an Electric Utility for going on 22 years, 14 of that was at the power plants. A large portion of that involved compliance testing (stack emissions). Fuels primarily consisting of coal, petroleum coke, heavy oil #6, light oil #2 or diesel fuel, and natural gas.

Plenty of EMF's floating around I'm sure as we generate close to 1000 Mega Watts/Hour, or are at least capable, depending on demand and availability.

As Mick, Scam, Bob, and other all have concerns, and I know their thinking is only for the best. I just think (also like Mick states above), there are many possible combinations or variables that caused our cancer cells to turn on.

That also, leaves me with something I meant to say in an earlier post. It's concerning cancer cells...from my understanding, we all have them. I don't think even with our treatment they are gone for good. Yes, possibly right after treatment for awhile...but being exposed to everything that we encounter every day, I'm sure they still invade our bodies again eventually.

It's with that I can only hope that my body has healed enough and strong enough to fight off these cells from becoming active.

Good health, sound mind and body, positive thoughts, plenty of rest, minimize the stress in your life....surround your self with family and friends.

Best to you all,
    John

LOL John
    You've hit on another aspect to this John when you talk about how our bodies clean up bad cells every day, cancer cells that is. My tumor was occult. Where did it go? Speculation is that "my body took care of it". WTF does that mean? It means that my body continually removes cells that have gone bad and refuse to die. Somehow (not likely due to refined sugar, lol) one was not removed soon enough and mets happened.

When cells refuse to die they need food. Angiogenesis is the ability of the cancer cell to recruit nearby blood vessels into nurturing itself, sucking up huge amounts of sugar from the bloodstream. Because the healthy body balances sugar in the blood, quitting sugar makes no difference. The cancer cells will take the same amount of sugar from the blood, natural or refined. You can't "starve" a cancer cell by quitting the bonbons.

Recent studies are focusing on turning off the angiogenesis switch in the cancer cell so it will die. There are lots of reasons to stop the intake of refined (or even so called natural) sugars, but my opinion is that stopping cancer is not the primary one.

Best,

Mick