2»

Comments

• Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    lisa42 said:

keep thinking forward
    Hi Lori,

Sorry you're having such a time with the oxi. Boy, was I glad to be done with that and thankful that all the long term chemo I've been on hasn't been as difficult to bear as that was. Like was already said, keep reminding yourself of what the goal of taking this nasty stuff is and keep counting down! Make sure you take some alpha lipoic acid (in capsule form) just before going in for infusion and a couple of times a day for a few days after infusion. A chemo nurse told me about it after I was all finished with the oxi, but still having trouble with the neuropathy. Sure wish I had known about it while I was on the oxy! It's supposed to help minimize the nerve damage. I had loss of sensation in my fingers and hands pretty badly by the time I finished 10 rounds of Folfox, but fortunately, it did come back almost 100% by a year later. Again, if I had known about the alpha lipoic acid earlier, maybe some of that could have been avoided. Hopefully, you are also getting the calcium/magnesium combo infused with your oxy to avoid the neuropathy, as well. I don't think most oncs (at least not mine) knew about that when I was getting it in '07- hopefully that combined with alpha lipoic acid will greatly reduce long term problems from the oxy for you.

I'd love to see a picture of you as "the tourist" :)

Hugs and try to stay as warm as possible!

Lisa

Lisa
    Unfortunately my onc doesn't feel that Cal/Mag should be added to the infusions. But, I am taking it in pill form in an attempt to maybe help make a difference. I'll be getting some ALA today to add to my mix.
  • Lori-S
    Options
    Kenny H. said:

Lori, you crack me up. Can
    Lori, you crack me up. Can picture them bumble-bee gloves and a snuggie!
    I really dont wear the pump (hate it and dont go anywhere on pump days) I just carry it like a purse by the strap.
    At home I leave it lay on coffee table or puter desk. Have about 10ft of line with it so can move around some.
    Just sometimes I'll go to walk to another room and forget about it till line runs out & YANK, off the desk it comes &^%$#@!(*

Hey Kenny
    I used to have that problem with leaving my pump too. That's one of the reasons I gave into the tourist loook. I used to get up in the middle of the night and forget it. Yank!!! and the day after infusion my port site starts to ache a little so that doesn't help. I just wear it around my waist to bed since I have a colostomy, hernia and adhesions, I can't sleep on my stomach anyway so it's no big deal to have it around my waist while I sleep. I sure takes care of being yanked back to the bed in the middle of the night.
  • Eltina21
    Eltina21 Member Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Folfox
    Hi Lori,
    I truly know how you feel. Hang in there. I am thankful to have completed 12 rounds of chemotherapy. I have gone through the hair thinning, and I am still going through the neuropathy. I have a very dear friend who has breast cancer with mets to the brain. She lost all of her hair and has never looked more beautiful. We see her spirit and not her hair. I went to the dollar store and found gloves in every color. I matched my outfits and I have started a new trend at work. I believe that the gloves give a classic look. For the contipation, I would drink warm prune juice. For nausea I bought chewable Ginger from the health food store. I also felt the effect of crying, it did burn my eyes. I just wanted to say that this to shall pass and I really hope that you begin to feel better. I shall keep you in my prayers. Throughout my chemotherapy, I went to work everyday except the days that I had chemotherapy. I even worked with the bag on. You see I the breadwinner for a family of 5. My faith truly kept me going. I rang the victory bell on November 4th at St. Agneas Hospital and I have been declared cancer free. I am here any time. You see this disease took the life of my mother, her brother and sister. I said to myself, it is not going to take me. So take care and have a great day.

Sincerely,
    Karen
  • Lori-S
    Options
    Eltina21 said:

Folfox
    Hi Lori,
    I truly know how you feel. Hang in there. I am thankful to have completed 12 rounds of chemotherapy. I have gone through the hair thinning, and I am still going through the neuropathy. I have a very dear friend who has breast cancer with mets to the brain. She lost all of her hair and has never looked more beautiful. We see her spirit and not her hair. I went to the dollar store and found gloves in every color. I matched my outfits and I have started a new trend at work. I believe that the gloves give a classic look. For the contipation, I would drink warm prune juice. For nausea I bought chewable Ginger from the health food store. I also felt the effect of crying, it did burn my eyes. I just wanted to say that this to shall pass and I really hope that you begin to feel better. I shall keep you in my prayers. Throughout my chemotherapy, I went to work everyday except the days that I had chemotherapy. I even worked with the bag on. You see I the breadwinner for a family of 5. My faith truly kept me going. I rang the victory bell on November 4th at St. Agneas Hospital and I have been declared cancer free. I am here any time. You see this disease took the life of my mother, her brother and sister. I said to myself, it is not going to take me. So take care and have a great day.

Sincerely,
    Karen

Thank you Karen
    For sharing your experience and your warm caring words. Chemo is just not any fun for sure! I also lost my birth mother to this cancer. I am so happy to hear of your success and ringing that bell. Congrats!