Radiation after chemo?

Heatherbelle
Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Morning all :)
I have a quick question I'd like to ask. How long after you finished chemo did you start radiation? I didn't have radiation, but my mom has 2 Taxotere treatments to go & then she's done with chemo, but since she had a lumpectomy she will be having radiation also, and was asking me how long after chemo she'll start rads. I told her I didn't know but would ask our sisters on CSN.
Thank you & hugs to all!
Heather

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    One week
    I had my last of 12 weekly Taxol on Jan 28, 2010 - my first of 25 rads on Feb 4, 2010 that's 7 days/1 week.

Remember there is no "One size fits all" - Different types, stages have different protocols and different Drs have different 'ideas' of how to treat the individual. For me everything was quite quick - Less than 17 days from DX to starting A/C, 2 weeks afte 4th A/C had mod. rad. mast.. 3 weeks after surgery started 12 Taxol and 1 week after last of it started rads.

Susan
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Rads after Chemo
    I finished chemo the end of August (last year) started the first of 33 radiation treatments on Sept. 15.....but you have to go before hand to have your markings done....I also had 4 "tattoos"...I also had a mold made that my head and arms rested in during radiation so that you don't move around.....once that's all done they did a mock up test,a CT Scan to make sure all the markings were correct. This was all checked by my radiation oncologist...... The actual treatment lasts less than 5 minutes...it takes them longer to set you up each time than the actual treatment takes. I had 7 boosters at the end, this just radiates the actual tumor site, all the others radiate the entire breast and under arm breast tissue. The boosters took about 45 SECONDS EACH!

I wish you and your mom Peace
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    I finished T/C on Sept 2 and
    I finished T/C on Sept 2 and was given a choice of starting on the 20th or 27th.

Cindy
  • Rague
    MAJW said:

Rads after Chemo
    I finished chemo the end of August (last year) started the first of 33 radiation treatments on Sept. 15.....but you have to go before hand to have your markings done....I also had 4 "tattoos"...I also had a mold made that my head and arms rested in during radiation so that you don't move around.....once that's all done they did a mock up test,a CT Scan to make sure all the markings were correct. This was all checked by my radiation oncologist...... The actual treatment lasts less than 5 minutes...it takes them longer to set you up each time than the actual treatment takes. I had 7 boosters at the end, this just radiates the actual tumor site, all the others radiate the entire breast and under arm breast tissue. The boosters took about 45 SECONDS EACH!

I wish you and your mom Peace

My tattoos were done on
    My tattoos were done on different days - one was done the day mapping was done (marking with a 'permanent' marker) - another one was done the day before first rad and the other 3 the day after first rad. I also did not have a mold - you reached up and held a 't' bar, small pillows/rolled towels were used under your shoulders/arms to keep them comfortable.
  • Rague
    A couple of more thoughts at
    A couple of more thoughts at least based on my experiences.

The entire area to be radiated wasn't done at one 'time'. Once positioned the machine did it's thing at one position, then it moved again and again and again and again to cover the entire area. I also had rads done to my neck area in addition to breast, underarm, and back. They may also used a 'Thingy' for part of the areas for me (sorry can't think of the right term for it now.) It effects the depth that the radiation penetrates.

Depending on the facility, do not be surprised if there is no door on the rad. room.
    It surprised me! The room was designed (round with domed ceiling) so that the radiation cannot 'escape' through the opening where doors would be.

Susan
  • MAJW
    Rague said:

A couple of more thoughts at
    A couple of more thoughts at least based on my experiences.

The entire area to be radiated wasn't done at one 'time'. Once positioned the machine did it's thing at one position, then it moved again and again and again and again to cover the entire area. I also had rads done to my neck area in addition to breast, underarm, and back. They may also used a 'Thingy' for part of the areas for me (sorry can't think of the right term for it now.) It effects the depth that the radiation penetrates.

Depending on the facility, do not be surprised if there is no door on the rad. room.
    It surprised me! The room was designed (round with domed ceiling) so that the radiation cannot 'escape' through the opening where doors would be.

Susan

Correct
    I didn't meant to imply that the entire breast was done in one "shot".....the machine does indeed move to different areas of the breast.........I always kept my eyes closed and as the days went by, I could tell how much time I had left by where the machine was!
  • Snowkitty said:

I finished T/C on Sept 2 and
    I finished T/C on Sept 2 and was given a choice of starting on the 20th or 27th.

Cindy

35, bring down the 5 and carry the 3....
    I gather the math was a bit tricky for the physicist designing my plan. I visited the radiology oncologist a week after my final chemotherapy treatment, but the plans kept getting kicked back so I was postponed a couple of times. Ultimately, I started a little over a month after completion of the chemotherapy.

Now I sport 6 dot tattoos as testimony to my bad self, as if the mastectomy scar doesn't suggest you don't want to mess with me.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Ask Dr.
    As always, the Dr. is the best person to ask for your individual circumstances, everyone's plan is different, as you can tell from everyone's responses. I don't remember how much time was in between mine. It does seem like my Dr. was more concerned with how much time elapsed after radiation before they did any treatments or surgery than before. Her Dr. can give her the best info. for her situation.

Take care, seof
  • Jean T. Szabo
    Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
    Radiation
    Will have Chemo #3 on Tuesday. Last one scheduled for Dec. 21st. After that will have 33 radiation treatments. Met the Radiologist but will wait until January to set up the "tatoo" session and start the treatments. Right now concentrating on getting through Chemo. Accepting prayers and sending prayers.
  • MAJW

Radiation
    Will have Chemo #3 on Tuesday. Last one scheduled for Dec. 21st. After that will have 33 radiation treatments. Met the Radiologist but will wait until January to set up the "tatoo" session and start the treatments. Right now concentrating on getting through Chemo. Accepting prayers and sending prayers.

Sending Prayers your way.......
    Hang in there Jean......it's a long journey as we all know. Having your last chemo on December 21, will be a wonderful Christmas gift! A well deserved one!

Prayers and Best wishes!
  • Ethelyn
    Ethelyn Member Posts: 13

Radiation

Sending positive thoughts
    Jean = you are further along in your treatment than I am. I am sending positive thoughts your way. I am hoping I can bear the Chemo treatment, but reading about brave ladies like you makes me feel like I can do it!! I am sure after Chemo, Radiation will be easier to bear. My positive thoughts are with you.
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    our situations are all so different
    i have inflammatory breast cancer. . . so i did chemo (almost 8 months of it) prior to my left breast and axillary lymph node mastectomy on september 15. i started physical therapy two weeks later to get range of motion to my arm so i could hold my arm over my head. i actually had three radiation simulations before beginning treatments on november 8. my last treatment will be on december 23.

there was a mold made for my left arm, and a chin strap to hold my head in place (my instrument of torture in my opinion) my rads onc says mine was the most intricate plan she has ever had to do - at one point, the beams are less than 5mm from my spinal cord.

so far i have done well, skin is pink, and starting to itch a little. they have given me great lotion to use on my skin - the radiated area reaches up the side of my neck to zap the lymph nodes there, as well as the area of surgery.

i wish your mom lots of luck. after going through chemo, radiation is not that bad. hopefully she will feel the same way.

hugs to both of you from heidi!
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    heidijez said:

our situations are all so different
    i have inflammatory breast cancer. . . so i did chemo (almost 8 months of it) prior to my left breast and axillary lymph node mastectomy on september 15. i started physical therapy two weeks later to get range of motion to my arm so i could hold my arm over my head. i actually had three radiation simulations before beginning treatments on november 8. my last treatment will be on december 23.

there was a mold made for my left arm, and a chin strap to hold my head in place (my instrument of torture in my opinion) my rads onc says mine was the most intricate plan she has ever had to do - at one point, the beams are less than 5mm from my spinal cord.

so far i have done well, skin is pink, and starting to itch a little. they have given me great lotion to use on my skin - the radiated area reaches up the side of my neck to zap the lymph nodes there, as well as the area of surgery.

i wish your mom lots of luck. after going through chemo, radiation is not that bad. hopefully she will feel the same way.

hugs to both of you from heidi!

I started 2 weeks after
    I started 2 weeks after chemo was finished.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I had about a 3 1/2 week
    I had about a 3 1/2 week break between chemo and rads~ finished chemo in early October, had half of November off, and finished rads mid December. It was a nice break, being as rads is an everyday adventure!

Hugs,
    Chen♥