When did your hair loss start?

Options
2»

Comments

• tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options

Day 13, first chemo cycle
    Taxotere and Cytoxin. I was sitting on the sofa in a black top that I had just changed into. Looked down to see a lot of hair on the top. Went upstairs to the mirror and ran my hand through my hair and got more. It was obvious that this was the real deal. Because I had read on this list about looking like a mangie dog or buzzing my head, I called my girlfriend and said "come over in the morning and buzz cut my hair". She did and the rest of the loss was not traumatic at all because it was just the little whiskers.

Now 2 plus months after my last chemo, I'm finally sporting some peach fuzz. That started about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

I figure I will experience a total of about 8 months (until March) of insufficient hair before I'm comfortable without covering up in public.

Suzanne

Day 14 for me
    If yours hasn't already started coming out ... get ready because it won't be long. I thought I would be real smart and get my hair cut real short ... since the doctor said my hair would be "thinning" ... I must have been nuts. Got my hair cut ... then 2 days later ran my fingers through my hair and ended up with a fist full of hair. Got on the phone immediately and called a friend and told her to plug in her clippers ... I was on my way over for her to shave my head. I took control. I'd already bought a denim bucket hat from the TLC catolog ... so I lived in that until my hair grew back and I felt comfortable going "topless." (about 7 months)

big hugs.
    teena
  • VirginiaBorn06
    VirginiaBorn06 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    hair loss
    Hi, I'm new to this board, but I wanted to comment about your hair loss. I agree with another poster that it was much more difficult to me than losing a boob. I have always had really thick hair and it was tough to lose it. It began about two weeks after my first treatment and once it started it was pretty quick to come out in handfuls -- very hard to take. My hairdresser gave me a buzz cut (free of charge) when the shop was closed so I had privacy. I'm now past my second treatment and wearing a wig which is uncomfortable, but it beats a bald head. Just get through the "Oh crap" stage and you'll get to the "OK, I'll deal with this" stage and pretty soon we'll all have hair again. So let's all hang in there together.
  • ccincin
    ccincin Member Posts: 82
    Options

hair loss
    Hi, I'm new to this board, but I wanted to comment about your hair loss. I agree with another poster that it was much more difficult to me than losing a boob. I have always had really thick hair and it was tough to lose it. It began about two weeks after my first treatment and once it started it was pretty quick to come out in handfuls -- very hard to take. My hairdresser gave me a buzz cut (free of charge) when the shop was closed so I had privacy. I'm now past my second treatment and wearing a wig which is uncomfortable, but it beats a bald head. Just get through the "Oh crap" stage and you'll get to the "OK, I'll deal with this" stage and pretty soon we'll all have hair again. So let's all hang in there together.

Thanks!
    For all the replies. I just want it to start already! The unknown is the worst about this crap.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    ccincin said:

Thanks!
    For all the replies. I just want it to start already! The unknown is the worst about this crap.

I was thinking a year ago I
    I was thinking a year ago I was bald and now my hair is gettin below my ears and almost to my collar. Its kind of nice that it came back curly as it has some body. At first I hated it until I figured out the right products. It goes by quickly. didnt seem so at the time.
  • vjcrocker
    vjcrocker Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hair Loss
    I started losing my hair about 10-12 days after my first treatment. Mine come out pretty fast. After 2-3 days I finally shaved my head. My skull literally hurt until I shaved it. After I shaved it the pain was gone. I know losing your hair can be scary but think of it this way. No more shaving your legs or underarms. That was a plus for me. I tried wigs 3 or three times and they were so itchy. I just work turbans and bandanas. They really have some nice one. Good Luck and keep your head held high. This will pass.
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options

Mine started falling out on
    Mine started falling out on day 14 I was in Wal-mart. Talking to hubby on phone and it started falling out in clumps. I was stuffing it in my pockets. It got stuck on my glasses & pulled them off with it. So I paid for my stuff and left a trail of hair to my truck hahahahahaha. I then went home and shaved it off. I didn't mind losing it. But I didn't want to loss it for days or weeks. I use to complain about my hair I hated it. Now I will never complain about it again. It is starting to come back in now. I am about 6 weeks out from chemo.

LOL
    Falling out in walmart! That is so funny and what a sight to see. I always complained about my wavy/curly hair also and that I always had to blow dry it to straighen it...Nah, I don't think I will do that anymore.
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options

Mine started falling out on
    Mine started falling out on day 14 I was in Wal-mart. Talking to hubby on phone and it started falling out in clumps. I was stuffing it in my pockets. It got stuck on my glasses & pulled them off with it. So I paid for my stuff and left a trail of hair to my truck hahahahahaha. I then went home and shaved it off. I didn't mind losing it. But I didn't want to loss it for days or weeks. I use to complain about my hair I hated it. Now I will never complain about it again. It is starting to come back in now. I am about 6 weeks out from chemo.

LOL
    Falling out in walmart! That is so funny and what a sight to see. I always complained about my wavy/curly hair also and that I always had to blow dry it to straighen it...Nah, I don't think I will do that anymore.