Next chemo Taxol - can't wait for it to be all over!

Viv2010
Viv2010 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have four more treatments left and next Wednesday I begin Taxol. The last chemo treatments really hit me hard and I have been struggling (exhausted and not wanting to eat or can't eat) Does anyone know if taxol will be easier or just different side effects?

Comments

• Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    What were you on previously?
    What were you on previously? From what I've heard, Taxol is easier than the A/C combo. I was on Taxotere, which is similar, and found it much more tolerable.
    I know Carrie on here just switched from AC to Taxol & is finding it much easier, hopefully she will read your post & chime in her experience.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • kjrpcb
    kjrpcb Member Posts: 41
    Taxol
    I have just completed round three number two of taxol. I've had no side effects other than mild fatigue. Are you going weekly or every three weeks? I go weekly and my dose is not a potent but I go for a longer period of time. Every fourth week is no chemotherapy just herceptin . I have heard from others that taxol is the easier of all the chemotherapy drugs. Good luck to you and I hope your experience is as easy as mine had been.
  • Viv2010
    Viv2010 Member Posts: 3
    kjrpcb said:

Taxol
    I have just completed round three number two of taxol. I've had no side effects other than mild fatigue. Are you going weekly or every three weeks? I go weekly and my dose is not a potent but I go for a longer period of time. Every fourth week is no chemotherapy just herceptin . I have heard from others that taxol is the easier of all the chemotherapy drugs. Good luck to you and I hope your experience is as easy as mine had been.

Taxol
    I just finished the A/C combo and going every other week which will continue with Taxol. I am sure hoping it gets easier. I feel like my quality of life has dropped so much and sure was not expecting that. Trying to stay positive! Thanks so much!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Viv2010 said:

Taxol
    I just finished the A/C combo and going every other week which will continue with Taxol. I am sure hoping it gets easier. I feel like my quality of life has dropped so much and sure was not expecting that. Trying to stay positive! Thanks so much!

I had taxol and it is easier
    I had taxol and it is easier than AC. no neulasta shot or its side effects. not as harsh. good luck! I did get neuropathy so you may ask about taking B6 vitamin. )
  • jbuff
    jbuff Member Posts: 27
    carkris said:

I had taxol and it is easier
    I had taxol and it is easier than AC. no neulasta shot or its side effects. not as harsh. good luck! I did get neuropathy so you may ask about taking B6 vitamin. )

Received my first Taxol last Thurs and 48 hrs later started with muscle and bone pain...by Mon night had to take pain RX. Took the second one yesterday and now just waiting to see if it will kick in tomorrow. Most say it is a hit or miss when it comes to the side effects. I did have to have a 4 week break after my last A/C due to neuropathy so I'm praying this won't start up again during the Taxol. Good luck and let us all take it one day at a time!
  • canjuncutie
    canjuncutie Member Posts: 131
    Taxol
    I had one so far,I got itchy skin all over so thats all. I have three more to go thru
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Taxol
    I had one so far,I got itchy skin all over so thats all. I have three more to go thru

I've had both ... Taxol is medically less invasive on your
    body .. some of us Chemo Queens (myself) did tolerate chemo very well at all. I did lose 3 toe nails .. while on Taxol - just a noted and know side effort.

Best of Luck and let us know how it is going!

Strength and Courage

Vicki Sam
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    We're all diffferent -
    and there is no way of knowing how the different chemos will effect you.

For me, the 4 A/C wasn't that bad at all - I was tired 2 days (started 2 days after infusion) out of the 2 weeks but resting would help with it. Th only 'issue' I had with Neulasta was that, almost to the minute, 2 hours after the shot I went to sleep for 2 hours - no pain no nothing other than the 2 hr sleep. Taxol, though, was BAD! I had 12 weekly doses of it and it was BAD the first time but only got worse with each one. Trying to rest did no good at all and could not sleep (without Ambien). 5 days a wwk all I could do was lay on the couch the other 2 day (roughly noon on the day before the next infusion til roughly noon the day after) weren't quite as bad but still MUCH worse than the worst of A/C was at all.

We're all so different!

Susan
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Viv2010 said:

Taxol

I don't know Viv, but, am
    I don't know Viv, but, am praying and hoping that it will be easier for you.

Hugs, Leeza
  • irish9085
    irish9085 Member Posts: 4
    jbuff said:

Received my first Taxol last Thurs and 48 hrs later started with muscle and bone pain...by Mon night had to take pain RX. Took the second one yesterday and now just waiting to see if it will kick in tomorrow. Most say it is a hit or miss when it comes to the side effects. I did have to have a 4 week break after my last A/C due to neuropathy so I'm praying this won't start up again during the Taxol. Good luck and let us all take it one day at a time!

Taxol
    For initial diagnosis of IDC in 2006, chemo-wise, I was on Adriamycin and Cytoxan (AC), and EMEND for nausea (wonderful stuff!!). This time (regional recurrence), I'm on Taxol and Herceptin. The first one of six treatments (every three weeks) was last Friday (11/19/10). Saturday morning I started experiencing lower pelvic pain, which quickly morphed into horrible aching and shooting pains into my lower back, legs, and feet. I was wondering, is this the bone pain or the neuropathy I was told might happen? Per my oncologists' nurse, it was bone/joint pain and she said it would last a few days. Good Lord, it was awful, but as she said, it started diminishing on Wednesday, and today I am feeling ok. I had some Percocet on hand, which didn't help, so I will definitely ask for something stronger for the next go-round!

Also, my onc told me I probably won't have any nausea with Taxol, but he wrote me a script for Compazine anyway . . . just in case. Well, thank God he did, because I was a barffin' fool there for a few days!
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Viv2010 said:

Taxol

taxol
    Hi Viv2010, I think you are on the same cocktail I was. Not to be discourging but taxol was even hard for me than the ac and the ac was tough. Try not to get too down with it all right now, remember, you are right in the midddle of one of the hardest part of bc treatment. Just try a line up some help...try and stay positive and keep drinkin gallons of water. Hugs....alison